January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I need to address two things
1- what the fuck was all that about.
2- what was your actual point .

Clearly the point was that there is a middle ground between fearing doing a Leeds and understanding that to demand the shackles come off, you must know what our finances are.

Do you know what the club can spend.
Not guessing....do you know?
To the last penny, what THFC has to spend?

No. You don’t.

So how can you say what we should spend.
I think that was pretty clear and that’s why I made the point that all the people talking about yachts etc and marquee signings would get humiliated in any kind of debate with Levy in the clubs finances.

So at the end of the day, some people accept that the shackles came off when we committed to an 800M new stadium and stayed top 3.

Others want more, and more and more....now now now.

agree we don't know what money the club can spend, if we got a top player that would have a knock-on effect to the wages of the squad (and carry on down to the academy as well ?)

wonder if he looks at the "waste" of money on the players we got on the cheap, that never see first team football ? (Janssen, GKN, Njie even Llorente for the amount of times he's been played) if he did maybe he would think buy 1 top player instead of 3 hopeful's

Clearly the point was that there is a middle ground between fearing doing a Leeds and understanding that to demand the shackles come off, you must know what our finances are.

No. You don’t.

I think that was pretty clear and that’s why I made the point that all the people talking about yachts etc and marquee signings would get humiliated in any kind of debate with Levy in the clubs finances.

So at the end of the day, some people accept that the shackles came off when we committed to an 800M new stadium and stayed top 3.

But tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow leaves a new stadium unfilled and debt if not unpaid then paid slowly or in a refinanced state.

So not disputing your point but understanding the logic and rationale of the average fan in that a club our size with so called aspirations is setting records, not so much on the pitch but in its lack of transfer activity.

I maintain this. Had Pochettino come out and said top 4 this season is our aim. That getting to the latter stages of any cup competition was our target and that we would not be adding to our squad, that fans would have been angry but at least aware.

The truth is Pochettino talked in riddles and of needing to do things differently if we wanted to advance. Fans cannot be blamed for interpreting that as either we do, we are or I'm off if we don't.

Hence part of the calls of Now Now Now.

But tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow leaves a new stadium unfilled and debt if not unpaid then paid slowly or in a refinanced state.

So not disputing your point but understanding the logic and rational of the average fan in that a club our size with so called aspirations is setting records, not so much on the pitch but in its lack of transfer activity.

I maintain this. Had Pochettino come out and said top 4 this season is our aim. That getting to the latter stages of any cup competition was our target and that we would not be adding to our squad, that fans would have been angry but at least aware.

The truth is Pochettino talked in riddles and of needing to do things differently if we wanted to advance. Fans cannot be blamed for interpreting that as either we do, we are or I'm off if we don't.

Hence part of the calls of Now Now Now.

If we stayed at WHL we would have won the title by now I’m pretty certain.

Then people would have stared slating the small stadium once the novelty of trophies had subsided, and we needed to start acting like a big club with a big new stadium........

Sigh

Given the choice of Doing a Leeds or endless Seasons of Transition until I finally cark it I'd be bang up for a bit of the former to be honest

So you’d like to win nothing, play a bit of CL football, pay shit players the equivalent of City wages, go bankrupt, still have to pay those players til their contracts expired, and jump between the the 3rd Division and Champo for the next 17 years.

And you see why people think some of you are fucking morons

So you’d like to win nothing, play a bit of CL football, pay shit players the equivalent of City wages, go bankrupt, still have to pay those players til their contracts expired, and jump between the the 3rd Division and Champo for the next 17 years.

giphy.gif

I think the general point is that some of us would like to see us go for it once in a while. Pay the extra few million over the odds if that's what it takes to get the managers first choice.
Give the fans something to get excited about. The occassional big name signing.

Instead we have just 1 paltry league cup in 2 decades under the current ownership but apparently we're doing it the right way

Being the most financially prudent, cautious , risk averse club in football doesn't really get the juices flowing like a major trophy would.

I think the general point is that some of us would like to see us go for it once in a while. Pay the extra few million over the odds if that's what it takes to get the managers first choice.
Give the fans something to get excited about. The occassional big name signing.

Instead we have just 1 paltry league cup in 2 decades under the current ownership but apparently we're doing it the right way

Being the most financially prudent, cautious , risk averse club in football doesn't really get the juices flowing like a major trophy would.

But we HAVE spent

Remember when 75% of the fan base wanted Harry out and the next level AVB to come in..?
And celebrated spending 110M on seven players in one window like we were Everton or West Ham....?

Just because it didn’t work, doesn’t mean it hasn’t been tried.

We’re better now than we ever was under ENIC.

Last edited:

No. You don’t.

Never mentioned marquee signings nor yachts nor do I profess to know about our finances the same as you know don't know what we do have to spend but when middle of the road clubs are out spending us that's a bit embarrassing, however I didn't mean to upset you Daniel or catch you at the wrong time of the month but please get your facts right before quoting me on things I didn't say.
:kaneshh:

Never mentioned marquee signings nor yachts nor do I profess to know about our finances the same as you know don't know what we do have to spend but when middle of the road clubs are out spending us that's a bit embarrassing, however I didn't mean to upset you Daniel or catch you at the wrong time of the month but please get your facts right before quoting me on things I didn't say.
:kaneshh:

I didn’t quote you specifically that’s why I made the point of saying “people”

Now get back in your cot snowflake

No panic buying please!

Remember the Bale money?

Chadli
Eriksen
Chiriches
Soldado
Capoue
Lamela

So 1 out of 6 ( or 2 if you count Lamela - I don't)

The rest - best forgotten.

I can't remember whether Paulinho was a Bale purchase . (If yes, then that's another one). There's a case study on how to spend a lot of money with little benefit.

Wait until the summer so the manager has time with the new signings. And don't repeat last summer!

Remember. Another day goes by and Harry's ligaments are hurting less.

No panic buying please!

Remember the Bale money?

Chadli
Eriksen
Chiriches
Soldado
Capoue
Lamela

So 1 out of 6 ( or 2 if you count Lamela - I don't)

The rest - best forgotten.

I can't remember whether Paulinho was a Bale purchase . (If yes, then that's another one). There's a case study on how to spend a lot of money with little benefit.

Wait until the summer so the manager has time with the new signings. And don't repeat last summer!

Remember. Another day goes by and Harry's ligaments are hurting less.

I’ve never really agreed with the criticism of how we spent the Bale money. Eriksen alone justified the entire outlay. Lamela is a perfectly good signing. I liked Chadli. It was only Soldado who was an out and out dud-in the Morata mould. Maybe Vlad too.

I always think it’s been slightly exaggerated, especially in comparison to the absolute fucking dross that UTD and Chelsea have signed. They never seem to get called out on it though.

I’ve never really agreed with the criticism of how we spent the Bale money. Eriksen alone justified the entire outlay. Lamela is a perfectly good signing. I liked Chadli. It was only Soldado who was an out and out dud-in the Morata mould. Maybe Vlad too.

I always think it’s been slightly exaggerated, especially in comparison to the absolute fucking dross that UTD and Chelsea have signed. They never seem to get called out on it though.
Soldado was a shame as previous to us purchasing him i thought it made sense and was a good signing but we also didn't play to his strengths either as he was at his best feeding off balls in from wide positions, but under AVB everything was sideways and backwards and played through the middle so in part some of it was management fault why buy a player and don't play to his strengths

I don't think anyone would quarrel with Eriksen.

The rest we were almost 'willing' to do well in order to justify the outlay - almost regardless of their performances and the evidence of our eyes. Ultimately they all failed (except Eriksen and arguably Lamela). OK, some of this was no doubt down to AVB. I wonder how they would have performed under current management?

I hope a large chunk of our scouting and recruitment network got fired.

Anyway we should not spray money around (even if we have it) in the January transfer window.

Back
Top Bottom