January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where we are at the end of 38 games is all that matters, wake up and smell the coffee!!! We will buy no one, finish sixth, sell some players but be told we should be happy with getting out of our group in the champions league and moving into a new stadium.
I know just the same as the past two years, it really sucks.

Sorry for the cross posting but I figured this would be seen more here......
20180124_130225_4.jpg

Hope ya like it.

And its only purpose is to fill empty space.

Bragging that we're top of the form table means fuck all if its divorced from any other trend. We've dropped a lot of useful points and we're in absolutely no position to be bragging about form.

If we pick up results over the next handful of games we'll likely be sitting much more comfortably and I'll feel otherwise.

The last 6 games form guide used to be a permanent feature in the top corner of the BBC’s football page. Many newspapers print it on the Friday before the weekend’s football. It’s a thing over here (or used to be). Nothing to get worked up about.

Edit: The racing papers do the same thing with horses.

Last edited:
There are two definitive schools of thought -

We must sign a player or we'll be behind the competition and won't qualify for the champions league, that will mean losing players falling behind and setting the club back for years.

We are a decent squad, with a decent Manager who had 2 quiet January windows in the past and we still finished pretty well nonetheless. While a signing would be nice, it's not the end of the world.

I'm clearly in the latter camp but we're not going to convince one another that we're right. If we finish top 4 then the arguments will be the same, one that if we'd have signed someone we'd have finished stronger the other saying considering the circumstances we've faced this season that's a massive achievement.

There is never any resolution to this because no fucker here has any control over who Spurs buys or sells. All you can say is both points are valid, of course having extra depth is never going to hurt but depth for this squad is really in 2 types of players, one that can go straight in to the first 11 which will be about £40m, a potential star £5-6m, maybe less but require development.

In January you can't buy a potential star, there is no point, that's why when we were talking about Sessignon the thinking was that he'd be a loan back player. You have to buy someone who will make an impact on the first 11 and there hasn't been any sign of that type of player this window.

We do need to accept that if we don't make that golden top 4 life will go on, the new ground will be there and that doesn't mean we don't still boast a great squad and manager. At the moment we're only 2 points off the top 4 we can do it but we have not been as consistent this season, we have under performed but in a strange way, by that I mean, we've lost 1 home league game, we're not terrible, we're cumbersome at times, too slow, not creative enough and yes, we still aren't up to much away from home and a lot hinges on the next few weeks as to how we do against the top 6 sides, but the deciding factor won't be a new signing, it will be players regaining form and getting the results we need.

We must sign a player or we'll be behind the competition and won't qualify for the champions league, that will mean losing players falling behind and setting the club back for years.

We are a decent squad, with a decent Manager who had 2 quiet January windows in the past and we still finished pretty well nonetheless. While a signing would be nice, it's not the end of the world.

I'm clearly in the latter camp but we're not going to convince one another that we're right. If we finish top 4 then the arguments will be the same, one that if we'd have signed someone we'd have finished stronger the other saying considering the circumstances we've faced this season that's a massive achievement.

There is never any resolution to this because no fucker here has any control over who Spurs buys or sells. All you can say is both points are valid, of course having extra depth is never going to hurt but depth for this squad is really in 2 types of players, one that can go straight in to the first 11 which will be about £40m, a potential star £5-6m, maybe less but require development.

In January you can't buy a potential star, there is no point, that's why when we were talking about Sessignon the thinking was that he'd be a loan back player. You have to buy someone who will make an impact on the first 11 and there hasn't been any sign of that type of player this window.

We do need to accept that if we don't make that golden top 4 life will go on, the new ground will be there and that doesn't mean we don't still boast a great squad and manager. At the moment we're only 2 points off the top 4 we can do it but we have not been as consistent this season, we have under performed but in a strange way, by that I mean, we've lost 1 home league game, we're not terrible, we're cumbersome at times, too slow, not creative enough and yes, we still aren't up to much away from home and a lot hinges on the next few weeks as to how we do against the top 6 sides, but the deciding factor won't be a new signing, it will be players regaining form and getting the results we need.
giphy.gif

I bet Man City fans are jealous of our sublime form that includes draws against West Ham and Southampton that doesn’t win a game in half a year. More points than them!!!!!
And that’s what supporting this club means to you?
Not looking at every single positive?
Or using a positive, mid season comment, as a means to take the piss out of other supporters? Find it funny that we have actually gained points on our rivals?
Take your Johnny come lately “I am a nice man from Portugal who likes chicken badge team” & fuck off back to supporting whatever shitstain club it is you follow over there.
Fuck my life. Some of the shit on here.

Great post.

And its only purpose is to fill empty space.

Bragging that we're top of the form table means fuck all if its divorced from any other trend. We've dropped a lot of useful points and we're in absolutely no position to be bragging about form.

If we pick up results over the next handful of games we'll likely be sitting much more comfortably and I'll feel otherwise.
We've won 8 of our last 11 games.

Back
Top Bottom