January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This January window is bollocks anyway isn't it? Rarely do you see any real quality signings being made, and its just another opportunity for prima donna players to sulk and whinge until they get their "dream move " to a club that pays more.

Its crazy when people, including so called expert pundits criticize clubs like ours for not having signed top players, like they forgot to get the tea in. Yes it would be great if we had a world class number 9/10 to come off the bench and change the game like at Sunderland, but who is there that's going to sign for us at half the wages they'd get elsewhere. And even if they did, you're often looking at the likes of Hazard, players with a shit attitude who would be unwelcome anyway.

Loved him and Keane as a duo, but he didn't exactly give us much respect when he left. Also a lazy cunt to boot, not exactly full of qualities I want to instill in any of our young players.

If Poch think it's a good idea, I'm fine with it.

But, like you say, that's not very likely..

That's not what I'm saying at all. I've said a couple of times that I think Poch's weakest area is bringing in players. Why does he have a crush on Zaha, one of the most mediocre players I've ever seen?

Poch and Levy have both said that the manager okay's every signing, but that doesn't mean that his scouting team has to do much better. That's what they're there for.

Really??? I'm not going to name every player we have signed under Poch but Wanyama has been a beast this season...
Toby A is probably recognised as the best CB in the PL......
Son on his day is a legend, and dele is just dele, enough said, it's not just the players he signs though you could surely class the like of winks being where is he now because of Pochs investment in the youth...... CCV and Edwards also coming through....
No doubt people will mention the like of Jansen and sissoko, but sissoko we haven't paid anywhere near 30milliom for him.... and Jansen needs to be given time........ but that's 5 players mentioned above that would start in any PL team all bought in under Poch..... :pochserious:

IF this Berba thing is true (and I'm not for one moment suggesting it's true) I genuinely just saw this on the FB Glory-Glory feed...
But Berba was the type of player who, when I'm old, grey and senile, I will tell my Grandchildren I actually saw play... he's one of those types of player... Along with Hoddle, Gazza, Ginola & Klinsmann...
EDIT: and Bale (thanks Fattynomates Fattynomates for the timely reminder!) ...oh, and Dozzell, Doherty and Rasiak!!!

He was abundantly blessed with skill (albeit a sulky attitude) but, like Gazza's 'antics' and Hoddle's 'religious nonsense' you kinda have to forget that to truly enjoy and marvel at the quality of player before you.

Loved the guy... was bitterly disappointed the way he left, but let's face it, the Tottenham he left then for Man Utd, weren't the same Tottenham he'd be training with at Hotspur way today! (and likewise, the Man Utd he left us for, are barely recognisable from the mish-mash that Mourinho is grumpily having to sort out now!

Last edited:
Began supporting Spurs in 2006, and Berbatov was the first player of ours that I truly adored.

He's lazy as fuck though, no way Poch would bring him in.

IF this Berba thing is true (and I'm not for one moment suggesting it's true) I genuinely just saw this on the FB Glory-Glory feed...
But Berba was the type of player who, when I'm old, grey and senile, I will tell my Grandchildren I actually saw play... he's one of those types of player... Along with Hoddle, Gazza, Ginola & Klinsmann...

He was abundantly blessed with skill (albeit a sulky attitude) but, like Gazza's 'antics' and Hoddle's 'religious nonsense' you kinda have to forget that to truly enjoy and marvel at the quality of player before you.

Loved the guy... was bitterly disappointed the way he left, but let's face it, the Tottenham he left then for Man Utd, weren't the same Tottenham he'd be training with at Hotspur way today! (and likewise, the Man Utd he left us for, are barely recognisable from the mish-mash that Mourinho is grumpily having to sort out now!

Forgot to include bale In that list! :baletroll:

Yes it would be great if we had a world class number 9/10 to come off the bench and change the game like at Sunderland, but who is there that's going to sign for us at half the wages they'd get elsewhere.
I feel like exploding when this excuse is forever wheeled out to justify our lack of transfer activity. We are a very wealthy club. One of the richest in Europe. Let's PAY THE FACKIN' WAGES it takes then instead of acting so fucking small time.

I have no doubt if we finish 2nd, the naysayers will look back to here to say we lost the title by not signing some arbitrary player they refuse to name.
Refuse to name & more importantly who the mythical player they are to replace. Apparently because we didn't replace the golden boot winner in Jan last year is the reason we didn't win the league, someone actually said that. Go figure that one out, blows the fucking mind.

Refuse to name & more importantly who the mythical player they are to replace. Apparently because we didn't replace the golden boot winner in Jan last year is the reason we didn't win the league, someone actually said that. Go figure that one out, blows the fucking mind.

I can't help but feel that we'd massively benefit from an experience striker to bring the best out of what we got, whilst offering an option off the bench/as cover.

The likes of Keane/Berbatov/Crouch all would offer individual positives. Keane has adapted to multiple leagues and has been reasonably prolific everywhere, Berbatov has a phenomenal level of ball skills, and crouchy is spurs through and through, and has plenty left in him.

Any of those in a player/coach option would, potentially, offer that experience and casual cover we've been lamenting for pretty much the last few seasons. More importantly, they wouldn't be blocking the future talents. Only crouch would have been potentially unavailable.

I can't help but feel that we'd massively benefit from an experience striker to bring the best out of what we got, whilst offering an option off the bench/as cover.

The likes of Keane/Berbatov/Crouch all would offer individual positives. Keane has adapted to multiple leagues and has been reasonably prolific everywhere, Berbatov has a phenomenal level of ball skills, and crouchy is spurs through and through, and has plenty left in him.

Any of those in a player/coach option would, potentially, offer that experience and casual cover we've been lamenting for pretty much the last few seasons. More importantly, they wouldn't be blocking the future talents. Only crouch would have been potentially unavailable.
Any of those 3 couldn't press grapes let alone press a duration longer than 10mins in this Spurs side.
Right now I trust Poch to coach Janssen & I also have faith that he will not stick with a player if he recognises when he can't coach them (he has binned off many players without batting an eyelid).

Last edited:
Any of those 3 could press grapes let alone press a duration longer than 10mins in this Spurs side.
Right now I trust Poch to coach Janssen & I also have faith that he will not stick with a player if he recognises when he can't coach them (he has binned off many players without batting an eyelid).

But sometimes it would be nice to have the option of a striker, someone who would just sniff around the box and poke them in, not a hybrid midfield/forward. We've seen enough already to know that in some games, it just doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom