January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I watch football to be entertained. Some of the most entertaining, gifted footballers are fucked in the head.

If all we want are "reliable, PC, keep their head down, no trouble" footballers, then we will end up with a fucking bland game. You may as well pick a stock on the FTSE and support that.

I watch football to be entertained. Some of the most entertaining, gifted footballers are fucked in the head.

If all we want are "reliable, PC, keep their head down, no trouble" footballers, then we will end up with a fucking bland game. You may as well pick a stock on the FTSE and support that.

Obviously would have supported Tottenham Hotspur PLC before we were taken private by ENIC :levyeyes:

Right, but we are not talking about exceptional talents like Gazza and Maradona etc.

We are fucking talking about Saido Berahino who wasn't deemed good enough to keep around at West Brom and could only manage to get a club in Stoke.

Right, but we are not talking about exceptional talents like Gazza and Maradona etc.

We are fucking talking about Saido Berahino who wasn't deemed good enough to keep around at West Brom and could only manage to get a club in Stoke.

I was making a more general point about football becoming bland due to the risk-averse nature of the clubs now it's big business.

The Puritanical reaction to Berahino's misdemeanors on here is more representative of self-appointed moral crusaders rather than fans of a club that nurtured the talents of a series of gifted but seriously flawed players.

The only equivalent talent to Maradona, Gazza etc is Messi, and Barcelona have basically kept him under house arrest for 15 years. The result is he has zero character.

We dodged a bullet on Berahino. Time will tell if Hughes can get the best out of him but let them take the risk. Don't want the drama, don't want the disruption, dont want the player is bigger than the club attitude. Plus the press already have him on their radar. Keep away.

Surely mercurial players don't also have to be tapped, why cant we expect our footballers to be gifted and not complete bell ends?

:adethumbup:

I'm very good at my job. but my manager doesn't have to put up with me racially abusing customers or spit roasting teenagers - not this week anyway.

:adegrin:

Surely mercurial players don't also have to be tapped, why cant we expect our footballers to be gifted and not complete bell ends?
It just seems a lot of them are. Not just footballers, but in most walks of life, the great figures are flawed more than the rest of us, e.g. "Mercurial - having qualities of eloquence, ingenuity, or thievishness attributed to the god Mercury or to the influence of the planet Mercury."

It just seems a lot of them are. Not just footballers, but in most walks of life, the great figures are flawed more than the rest of us, e.g. "Mercurial - having qualities of eloquence, ingenuity, or thievishness attributed to the god Mercury or to the influence of the planet Mercury."

Yeah, we've all had a bird who was an "artist"..... and then packed them in for one who's less likely to stick some scissors in your neck.

:lamelaaghh:

5 pints? He had 101 mg of alcohol in his blood when the limit is 80 mg. Given that the limit for most people is just over a pint, it would seem that he had had more like the half pint over that I said (working on the rough calculation of a pint = 60 mg).

Not apologising for it mind, just saying it happens, you get punished and hopefully grow up a bit and don't do it again.

That's certainly the narrative that we'd be peddling if he had signed for us back in the day. For example, you highlight his doing nitrous oxide or whatever it is as a sign of a druggy past, but fail to mention that Kyle Walker did the exact same thing

"(working on the rough calculation of a pint = 60 mg)". Of what? Special Brew!?

1 unit is approx 15mg in the blood. This doesn't get measured at the roadside, but approx 30mins-1hr later at a minimum, on arrival at the appropriate station following a positive breath result at roadside.

Standard draught drinks like lager and your WKDs, smirnoff ice etc. are around 3% ABV. There's approx 568ml in a 'Pint', which makes around 1.7 units (568 * 3 / 1000).

110/15 = 6.73333
6.7333 / 1.7 = 3.96 measures

Taking into account that the alcohol in the blood massively decreases between the roadside and measurement on the machine (so much so that people get off with it having been legless blowing red), I think it's safe to say that 5 pints is a pretty conservative estimate.

Then, bearing in mind he's a professional athlete, not some scrag who works for the local builder. Did we need another David Bentley? Nope.

"(working on the rough calculation of a pint = 60 mg)". Of what? Special Brew!?

1 unit is approx 15mg in the blood. This doesn't get measured at the roadside, but approx 30mins-1hr later at a minimum, on arrival at the appropriate station following a positive breath result at roadside.

Standard draught drinks like lager and your WKDs, smirnoff ice etc. are around 3% ABV. There's approx 568ml in a 'Pint', which makes around 1.7 units (568 * 3 / 1000).

110/15 = 6.73333
6.7333 / 1.7 = 3.96 measures

Taking into account that the alcohol in the blood massively decreases between the roadside and measurement on the machine (so much so that people get off with it having been legless blowing red), I think it's safe to say that 5 pints is a pretty conservative estimate.

Then, bearing in mind he's a professional athlete, not some scrag who works for the local builder. Did we need another David Bentley? Nope.

So you reckon a man of average height and build can down three pints and still be under the limit? Good luck with that *hic*.

Like I say, if it emerged we were looking to sign Leo Messi I doubt you'd be too bothered he had defrauded the Spanish public purse of a few million quid. Berahino's crime gets you a fine and a year's ban. Messi's would get you a couple of years minimum anywhere other than Spain, with its peculiar "first offences don't really count and especially if you're rich" clause

So you reckon a man of average height and build can down three pints and still be under the limit? Good luck with that *hic*.

I don't think you're reading it all properly.

He was over the limit, and there is a period of time between being stopped (i.e. the point he was doing 110mph) and being tested (not the roadside test).

Between these events, his alcohol level would have dropped significantly. As a result, what was measured in his blood is, without doubt, much less than what would have been whilst he was doing that speed.

IF he had drank 3 pints, he wouldn't have been charged. He would have been under the limit by the time they'd got him on the machine back at the nick. He wasn't.

(for the point, I grew up in the countryside and saw average men drink 4 pints easily, get stopped and blow green)

Like I say, if it emerged we were looking to sign Leo Messi I doubt you'd be too bothered he had defrauded the Spanish public purse of a few million quid. Berahino's crime gets you a fine and a year's ban. Messi's would get you a couple of years minimum anywhere other than Spain, with its peculiar "first offences don't really count and especially if you're rich" clause

Is this one of those straw men where Berahino's transfer is considered as desirable as Messi's?

Berahino is a young player with only a couple of seasons under his belt - in that time, he's apparently been banned by the FA for recreational drug use, has gone on strike and rebelled against his club, has been caught drink driving whilst doing 1.5 times the speed limit, has been caught on video doing drugs behind the wheel of his car, and has a bad reputation for his character beyond that, and still cost more than we paid for players like Dier, Alli and Wanyama.

I don't know how anyone could try and defend drink driving like it was as common as owning an iPhone. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had loved ones killed by people speeding whilst drunk who think that Berahino is a complete fucking bell-end.

So, I'm now extremely happy and glad we're no where near signing him, and once he's popped out of the Mark Hughes machine, he can look forward to quiet transfer windows from hereon in.

Last edited:
IF this Berba thing is true (and I'm not for one moment suggesting it's true) I genuinely just saw this on the FB Glory-Glory feed...
But Berba was the type of player who, when I'm old, grey and senile, I will tell my Grandchildren I actually saw play... he's one of those types of player... Along with Hoddle, Gazza, Ginola & Klinsmann...
EDIT: and Bale (thanks Fattynomates Fattynomates for the timely reminder!) ...oh, and Dozzell, Doherty and Rasiak!!!

He was abundantly blessed with skill (albeit a sulky attitude) but, like Gazza's 'antics' and Hoddle's 'religious nonsense' you kinda have to forget that to truly enjoy and marvel at the quality of player before you.

Loved the guy... was bitterly disappointed the way he left, but let's face it, the Tottenham he left then for Man Utd, weren't the same Tottenham he'd be training with at Hotspur way today! (and likewise, the Man Utd he left us for, are barely recognisable from the mish-mash that Mourinho is grumpily having to sort out now!

'You can stop the ball, but that’s boring’ – 'In Focus' special with Dimitar Berbatov 3 February 2017 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com
....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that explains it then!

Maybe they have us confused with West Ham and City and think our 750M stadium is being paid for by the taxpayers too.

Alas, THFC is footing the bill. But while their at it:
"BUY ME A STRIKER FOR WHATEVER PRICE AND PAY HIM WHATEVER HE WANTS"
"Who?"
"SOMETHING SOMETHING SCOUTS JOB, SOMETHING SOMETHING BLAH BLAH"
"We have scouted some great players and are building. Sitting in second place"
"I WANT FIRST"

Jesus fucking Christ
some of them clearly cant remember the halycon days when our major signings were of the standard of Clive Wilson

I feel like exploding when this excuse is forever wheeled out to justify our lack of transfer activity. We are a very wealthy club. One of the richest in Europe. Let's PAY THE FACKIN' WAGES it takes then instead of acting so fucking small time.
dont forget that stadium you were convinced we werent building

some of them clearly cant remember the halycon days when our major signings were of the standard of Clive Wilson

Need a CB and a Striker? Damn, only enough budget for one player..

article-0-0029629700000258-644_233x262.jpg

Back
Top Bottom