In your lifetime-Will Tottenham win the EPL...?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I came to the conclusion that i will never see us win the league,after the Venables/Sugar fall out( i genuinely believed we were building a squad capable of challenging for things up until then).
Nothing that happened for the next 20 years really changed that.However.....
I am more confident now than i thought possible a few years back.Still not convinced, but live in hope

Whilst financial doping is allowed to continue, no.

That the PL is ‘competitive’ and ‘unpredictable’ is an illusion created by a media who, on one hand, praise the likes of Man City (“a joy to watch”), and totally ignore the impact of their incessant spending on the spirit and integrity of competition.

Taking Leicester’s fluke out of the equation, the only teams to have won the League in a post-Fergie era have been financially doped clubs. That Liverpool made it to 97pts last season and didn’t win the League tells us all we need to know about the futility of competing against Man City’s bottomless pit of cash, huge investment into the likes of VVD and Allisson notwithstanding. It’s like asking the greatest rider of all time to have the race of their life against a doped-up Lance Armstrong. We can opine over who we think might win, and whether it’ll be close, but ultimately there will be only one possible outcome.

Until if/when the PL becomes like Ligue 1 and global audiences, sponsors etc begin to switch off, I do not envisage the topic of financial doping being addressed by the governing bodies and/or media.

First sniff for me was 81/82 season we were in it till Easter but a 2-2 at home to Sunderland started a downward spiral.
Next was 84/85 the year of the save (Southall) Went top on New year's day after beating the other lot 1-2 Mark Falco winner (god bless him)...Won at Anfield first time since 1912..every thing looked like it was coming together but Neville F@#king Southall made the save of his life to earn Everton the points at WHL. To be fair they had a great team and would have won the European Cup if it wasn't for the ban.
86/87 with "Davy Pleats 11" strange season played brilliant football all year but just switched off at critical times in games.
I will never forgive Pleat for getting rid of Roberts.
In 92/93 we lost the semi final to them
but the next match was against Norwich who were going for the title and we walloped them 5-1 so giving us great hope for the next season's campaign....Sugar v El Veg and the rest is history.
Last two seasons were very encouraging in regards to the winning it but I doubt it will happen for me I'm 51 and this is my 42nd season so you youngsters are in for a lot of misery ha ha.

Yes. We are well run. We have a great new stadium coming, which will increase profile and revenue and allow us to compete with the big boys, and we have a state of the art training ground to keep our players in good order. We have one of the best managers in the league.

If people didn't let themselves get carried away with success and start expecting things too early, they might stop and think that what is happening now is a testament to all the work that has been done to try and move the club in the right direct and the fact that we have steadily improved and peaked earlier shows we are not only going in the right direction but has peaked early and basically played beyond expectation. How many people honestly were sitting there five years ago thinking we'd be Champions Leagues regulars and have fans not only enjoying but expecting title challenges?

I think it will take another 5-10 years and I think there may be some setbacks in that time. But the trajectory of the club since, like them or loathe them, ENIC took over has been one of overall progress, which has always been two steps forward in the long term even when there's one step back in the short term. If that progress continues at the same pace then there is only one way we can go now in the long term. Trophies.

I have accepted we are not a modern day title winning team so I don't expect titles.
But I think we should be doing a bit better with the domestic cups.

The frustrating thing for me is looking down the list of teams that have won it since us. And seeing the likes of Blackburn, Villa, Derby, Everton, Nottingham Forest, Leiseceter, Leeds etc
The fact we haven't won it in nearly 60 years is scandalous really.
Along with, maybe Newcastle, must be the biggest under achievers in English football surely.

For me this season it's not about winning the league but retaining our CL spot for next season, if we can do that with the prospect of moving into the new stadium existing and potential players should be excited. If we drop out of the top four it's going to be a testing time. I believe this season with be the most difficult one to date as other teams have heavily invested and pundits will be expecting stuff from us. Luckily a few other teams aren't flying at the moment, Liverpool, Chelsea, Woolwich have all struggled. Man City are doing well and Manu are scraping through but haven't really played anyone of note yet.

What keeps me positive is the fact Victor, Rose and Lamella are yet to come back, in a month we could be shaping up a very different way with lots more options on the bench. The new boys will take another few weeks to settle in.

Everything points to yes, but the old gut always says there will always be that one team who are just better or luckier.....

I ate two salads this week so fuck it, I’m going to live till I’m over 100, so yeah why not.....COYS!!

I agree with your last comment, as it must be satisfying to be more than a Client Number. However, you can't help who you fall in love with, so I suppose I'm in for life.
No exactly my love for Tottenham is endless in regards the club, team, history other fans it’s Tottenham Hotspur that’s it and that won’t change but it’s doesn’t mean I always agree with what happens in regards Tottenham if for example we were in a position to take Bale back and offer him the money he’s supposedly been offered in China I would not agree with that at all, no way irrespective of how it would impact us I would not be in favour of that, it’s disgusting.

1.And our current form on the pitch is second to none. We can defend and score freely.
2. We can't buy a win.
3.We are 8th in the table.
4. We haven't lost since covid 19.
Based on the above, "So, next season could indeed prove a good chance for us to have a crack at the league title."
Cuckoo Land. 😁

- Kane, Sissoko, Son all coming back from injury. Big players for us.

- Lo Celso looking like he will become a very good player.

- Ndombele has to get fit eventually right?

- Lamela will be like a new signing.

Our squad actually looks very good on paper. Jan and Foyth most likely to be moved on. Bring in 2 full backs and we will look very strong.

If you want any improvements on this; we have to take the risk and sell 2 of our star players - Kane, Son, Alli.

Lloris
Aurier - Toby - Sanchez - Davies
Sissoko - Lo Celso - Ndombele
Alli - Kane - Son

Bench Options : Moura, Dier, Jan, Sess, Bergjwin, Tanganga, Fernandes, Lamela, Winks, Skipp, Foyth, Gazza

Never know. Look where wanky little clubs like Chelsea and City were in the not too distant past.

Those clubs are the issue, that City can spend £200 million every summer because of a crook for an owner means every season we fight with one hand behind our backs compared to them.

They can afford complete squads, we can't and so we may one day win the title if we keep poch for a good long time but it's going to be very hard.

I bloomin' hope so!!!!! I reckon I've got another 10 years or so of going to live games, God willing, but I don't think it will happen in the next year or two. Think it may need Poch to build another side as not sure how many of the current side we will be able to hang onto.

I came to the conclusion that i will never see us win the league,after the Venables/Sugar fall out( i genuinely believed we were building a squad capable of challenging for things up until then).
Nothing that happened for the next 20 years really changed that.However.....
I am more confident now than i thought possible a few years back.Still not convinced, but live in hope
I still say we are title contenders. I love saying that and love the fact that I believe that's the case. I've never said that in my entire life supporting the club, despite seeing us finish 3rd a small handful of times, it never felt back then that we were challenges, where it does now.

Our chances are slimmer than Utd, Citeh or Chavs for obvious financial reasons (even if a billion pounds dropped into our bank account we would still be behind those close who's financial muscle goes back many years) but to be in the conversation as contenders is a buzz for me and I'm loving it. It feels so different than pinning our hopes on a Cup to look credible, there is no disputing how good we are, the league doesn't lie.

Back
Top Bottom