In your lifetime-Will Tottenham win the EPL...?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am probably pathologically optimistic, and I like it:

By 2030 we will not just win the EPL more than once, but also the Champions League

However, I am not expecting any major trophy before 2020, I wasn;t before the beginning of this season and I will not by the end, and I am pretty relaxed about that (as much as I hate seeing how we are not winning win games at home at the moment) . Then if we win it before , even better, but we need a lot of luck for that. I just feel that we are a bit ahead of the schedule in terms of what we did on the pitch so, understandably, many fans are expecting big trophies even now

Absolutely. The only reason Spurs haven't won the league already is the stadium, which prevented Levy/Poch from buying high-quality backups. In the short term, this is a problem, but in the long run it's good for the club and puts it in a better position to win going forward. Especially with the possibility of the TV revenue bubble bursting, which would make stadium capacity the most important thing again.

Absolutely. The only reason Spurs haven't won the league already is the stadium, which prevented Levy/Poch from buying high-quality backups. In the short term, this is a problem, but in the long run it's good for the club and puts it in a better position to win going forward. Especially with the possibility of the TV revenue bubble bursting, which would make stadium capacity the most important thing again.

Then how on earth did Leicester win the league in a smaller stadium!?

Then how on earth did Leicester win the league in a smaller stadium!?
They pretty much hit on a hard 16 and pulled a 5. If you look at match statistic they had a massive rub of the green across a season - one of the highest interception/tackling rates in PL history if I remember correctly, which shows how little of the ball they were seeing but were afforded an unusually high number of counterattacking chances. That fortune is not sustainable, which is why they were shit before and after that one season.

On top of that they were extremely lucky their lucky season occurred at the same time as each recent title challenging side was struggling equally. They rode good form, a small dressing room mentality, and a complete lack of pressure while their only challengers were the youngest team in the PL, with no trophy history, who had pressure heaped upon them endlessly by the media.

But I see your point (not that you needed the above I'm sure - we all remember that season well), and I don't agree the lack of a title is the stadiums fault either. We bottled a golden chance when everyone was down due to inexperience, and have since continued to progress - it's just that it takes much more to win a title when one of the wealthy sides is on form. Spurs will absolutely win titles before Kane is gone, it's just that we're building a club - not buying a title and fucking off the manager and players responsible a la chavs and citeh.

When Spurs get to the top, the media will lose their shit - because there won't be eternal drama, and the club won't immediately collapse.

Ive watched Tottenham since the early 80s cant remember the late 80s where we were in the running for a season,so the last couple seasons have been the closest in my lifetime,but you had that feeling it wasn't to be so a new season has started very much like the last two...slow! Is it ever gonna happen?
They're going to win it this season, duh.

I am probably pathologically optimistic, and I like it:

By 2030 we will not just win the EPL more than once, but also the Champions League

However, I am not expecting any major trophy before 2020, I wasn;t before the beginning of this season and I will not by the end, and I am pretty relaxed about that (as much as I hate seeing how we are not winning win games at home at the moment) . Then if we win it before , even better, but we need a lot of luck for that. I just feel that we are a bit ahead of the schedule in terms of what we did on the pitch so, understandably, many fans are expecting big trophies even now
Well you were nearly right with years to spare.....

Everything points to yes, but the old gut always says there will always be that one team who are just better or luckier.....

I ate two salads this week so fuck it, I’m going to live till I’m over 100, so yeah why not.....COYS!!

Building on from last season and not let that end up a faded memory can we.......?
In terms of league position we were EXTREMELY lucky last season. We really didn't deserve a top 4 finish, but luckily ALL of our rivals conspired to give it to us. I thought our overall play throughout the season was less inspirational than in previous recent years. We lacked sharpness (and still do). A large part of this was because other teams had sussed us out and we spent the season being frustrated by packed, well-organised defences, unable to unlock them for long periods of time.
To be fair, I don't see it being much different this season unless we're lucky and get lots of early goals, forcing the oppsition to actually play football.
That said, I feel luckier than ever. This year will be our year, because it hasn't got a one in it, but it nearly has. New stadium, new players. If we beat Man City early on I reckon we'll win the league. If we don't beat them, I reckon we'll win the league.

About 20 years ago I was a finalist in a Saturday night TV quiz show, being hosted by Simon Mayo (Spurs supporter). In the preamble to the final round he chatted to my opponent and me. He mentioned that he and I supported the same team. I replied, "Yes, Spurs, who are going to win the league this season." He just laughed and moved on. Cunt.

Back
Top Bottom