Imagine...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Being at the game tonight and watching Sherwood and Ferdinand parading the touchline looking clueless I couldn't help but think we are seriously fucked this season. This is no slight on Sherwood or Ferdinand but they have no experience managing any side let alone one in the premier league supposedly challenging for top 4 and trophies. I am almost certain they will do no better than AVB would have for the remainder of this season. So essentially we better have someone lined up or Levy really has dropped us in it. We are becoming a laughing stock and tbh I think AVB is the winner being far out of it

GRRR!! I like you Mensa - But will people pleessseeeeeee stop picking on Doherty

He was a loyal honest servant to the club, who had a promising career set back significantly by a terrible injury from a horrible unnecessary tackle. I think Bill Nick, who was a loyal servant to the club himself, but no Beckenbauer as a player would be spinning in his grave at the cheap jibes hurled at Gary Doherty.

Well this is all pretty convenient....

Funny thing is I don't seem to remember many people saying "AVB needs more time" following the 0-5 loss on Sunday. Yet now we've lost with a caretaker 3 days it's very much "Levy is the spawn of satan, not giving AVB enough time".

This is just ridiculous. If we had stuck for, let's say another month, with AVB and nothing had changed (because let's face it we weren't making progress), Levy probably would've got blasted for not caring about the club enough and not taking action soon enough. The man may not be perfect by any means but I swear to God you simply can't win over some fans.

Fair point. But put things into context. The performances this year (even when we've won) have been abysmal and should not be forgotten. The 3-0 HOME defeat against West Ham was awful. 6-0 against City was worse. 5-0 against Liverpool...a disgrace. With the money we spent, we are supposed to be on par with these teams and challenging them for the top places. Instead, they are SO far ahead of us right now it feels like we're in a time warp to the mid-90's. I'm by no means anti-AVB. In fact, I vehemently supported him right up until the 5th went in on Sunday. But it was time to realise that it just wasn't working out, it's as simple as that.

You want to know why we managed to get so many points last season? And why AVB's win percentage was so high? Two words: Gareth Bale.

That's the start of the story. The end of the story, that's what I'm afraid of. So anybody can preach this, that and the other, but we're in a shithole, and after the Sunderland game I was feeling pretty good. After the Liverpool game I was feeling much better than I am right now. It's okay though. The geniuses who thought they knew better than AVB, despite watching through eyes swilled in beer, most of which couldn't kick a football straight, they have got what they wanted. They got what they wanted, but not what they expected. What they expected was top four football. What we will get is football... no plan, no influence, just football with the Lilywhite. I'll continue to enjoy every minute, will they? Will I have to put up with their bile at White Hart Lane?

Funny thing is I don't seem to remember many people saying "AVB needs more time" following the 0-5 loss on Sunday. Yet now we've lost with a caretaker 3 days it's very much "Levy is the spawn of satan, not giving AVB enough time".

This is just ridiculous. Short term mentality.

IRONY.

Fair point. But put things into context. The performances this year (even when we've won) have been abysmal and should not be forgotten. The 3-0 HOME defeat against West Ham was awful. 6-0 against City was worse. 5-0 against Liverpool...a disgrace. With the money we spent, we are supposed to be on par with these teams and challenging them for the top places. Instead, they are SO far ahead of us right now it feels like we're in a time warp to the mid-90's. I'm by no means anti-AVB. In fact, I vehemently supported him right up until the 5th went in on Sunday. But it was time to realise that it just wasn't working out, it's as simple as that.

You want to know why we managed to get so many points last season? And why AVB's win percentage was so high? Two words: Gareth Bale.

A fair point but I still think it was too early to sack AVB. it's done now anyway and we're still Spurs, so fuck the world.

This is just ridiculous. If we had stuck for, let's say another month, with AVB and nothing had changed (because let's face it we weren't making progress), Levy probably would've got blasted for not caring about the club enough and not taking action soon enough. The man may not be perfect by any means but I swear to God you simply can't win over some fans.

He'd already been sacked before most people were even able to log in here FFS!!!!

Levy's buzzwords when AVB joined;

"Andre shares our long-term ambitions and ethos of developing players and nurturing young talent, and he will be able to do so now at a new world-class training centre."

"It is important we now look to develop the potential within the squads at all levels, while strengthening the first team in the summer in key positions with players who will become part of the future success of the club,"

It was never going to happen overnight.

At the risk of sounding facetious; by the looks of things, it was never going to happen in the next 10 years.
I personally believe this whole concept of 'long termism' in football is a load of bull. You're building a football team, not a rocket to send to Mars. At minimum, you manage the team to perform to realistic expectations. At best, you exceed. You manage to get yourself stuffed 3-0 at home to a poor West Ham team, you aren't doing your job. Simple as that.

Fair comment JDK

The only time Levy has gone on a 'budget buster' was when relegation threatened. He himself has said we can live without Europe but not the Prem. Unless we spend big in January we'll make a nice profit this season, having spent nowt (net spend) in the summer despite increased TV money and ST prices.
Ive only ever mentioned him once - lets swap him out for Neale Fenn, or Andy Turner hows that?
:) I'll let you have them two, though I wouldn't pick on either of the personally :)

AS I say Mensa I like you, so no probs. It's just this whole Ginger Pele thing gets my goat.

It can be done with nice gentle humour, but too often it's cruel and unjustified.

At the risk of sounding facetious; by the looks of things, it was never going to happen in the next 10 years.
I personally believe this whole concept of 'long termism' in football is a load of bull. You're building a football team, not a rocket to send to Mars. At minimum, you manage the team to perform to realistic expectations. At best, you exceed. You manage to get yourself stuffed 3-0 at home to a poor West Ham team, you aren't doing your job. Simple as that.

What would you say we should have expected so far this season, in terms of progress in competitions?

I would say we WERE about 3 points off in the league and on par in every cup.......not enough to warrant abandoning what was in levy's own words a long term plan.

Levy has never been held accountable. When does he get made accountable for taking us as far as he can take us just like he did with the numerous other managers. The buck stops here for me. He has made some horrific decisions and poor judgement in the last few years....
- Sacking after sacking
- Olympic stadium debacle
- Loyalty point mess
- Selling the best players we've had in my lifetime
- the bloody drum?!
- Constant price increases

Enough is enough for me, Levy has to be held accountable.

What would you say we should have expected so far this season, in terms of progress in competitions?

I would say we WERE about 3 points off in the league and on par in every cup.......not enough to warrant abandoning what was in levy's own words a long term plan.

Well, to be fair, I would've expected about what we have right now (bar tonight). Which serves as a nice reminder that all may not be lost for this season. BUT, I wanted it coupled with good performances. More goals. We don't have to be scoring 5 a game but for fucks sake we've scored 15 goals and we're in December. We couldn't even muster a single shot on target on Sunday. That is not good. The 3-0, 6-0 & 5-0 defeats are unacceptable for a team that is supposed to be competing for a top-4 finish. By this stage I also would've liked a win against one of the 'top' teams. Instead, we have been thoroughly unconvincing this season and we've been found out. I have been completely numb watching Tottenham this year because they have done nothing, on the pitch, to get me excited. We have just been so......meh.

Again, I like AVB. I wanted him to succeed. But sometimes it clicks in football and sometimes it doesn't. In this case, it didn't click. He had to go.

Back
Top Bottom