Imagine...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Flav

The Fighting Cock
...not having a clue about football but demanding that we sack a manager who was actually pretty decent. Imagine be so reactionary that you demand his sacking despite managing to finish his only full season with a points total that betters any other Tottenham Premier League manager. No wait there is more. Imagine demanding that we sack a manager that has the best win percentage of any Spurs manager in over a hundred years.

Now imagine telling Bill Nich to go fuck himself 18 months into his job. Imagine being that cunt. Imagine.

It's ridiculous, one minute we've got a vision, a plan,.........the next we've got Tim Sherwood on the touchline swinging his arms about

Biggest issue for me is - how are we going to sell the dream of long term planning and potential success to the next guy???

i don't know how many times a guy can admit he was wrong before people realise he hasn't got a clue.
And every bloody sacking is a massive drama that makes the club look shit.
Santini walking after 2 months. Jol being sacked whilst actually managing a game. Redknapp talked himself out of the job but levy should have bought him the fucking striker he needed when we made it into the champions league. AVB brought in with the promise of a long term plan. Sacked for a few dodgy results and failing to incorporate 7 total strangers he didn't even want into a system of play that can dominate some of the best teams in europe.

Fair point. But put things into context. The performances this year (even when we've won) have been abysmal and should not be forgotten. The 3-0 HOME defeat against West Ham was awful. 6-0 against City was worse. 5-0 against Liverpool...a disgrace. With the money we spent, we are supposed to be on par with these teams and challenging them for the top places. Instead, they are SO far ahead of us right now it feels like we're in a time warp to the mid-90's. I'm by no means anti-AVB. In fact, I vehemently supported him right up until the 5th went in on Sunday. But it was time to realise that it just wasn't working out, it's as simple as that.

You want to know why we managed to get so many points last season? And why AVB's win percentage was so high? Two words: Gareth Bale.

That's the start of the story. The end of the story, that's what I'm afraid of. So anybody can preach this, that and the other, but we're in a shithole, and after the Sunderland game I was feeling pretty good. After the Liverpool game I was feeling much better than I am right now. It's okay though. The geniuses who thought they knew better than AVB, despite watching through eyes swilled in beer, most of which couldn't kick a football straight, they have got what they wanted. They got what they wanted, but not what they expected. What they expected was top four football. What we will get is football... no plan, no influence, just football with the Lilywhite. I'll continue to enjoy every minute, will they? Will I have to put up with their bile at White Hart Lane?

...not having a clue about football but demanding that we sack a manager who was actually pretty decent. Imagine be so reactionary that you demand his sacking despite managing to finish his only full season with a points total that betters any other Tottenham Premier League manager. No wait there is more. Imagine demanding that we sack a manager that has the best win percentage of any Spurs manager in over a hundred years.

Now imagine telling Bill Nich to go fuck himself 18 months into his job. Imagine being that cunt. Imagine.

Fair point. But put things into context. The performances this year (even when we've won) have been abysmal and should not be forgotten. The 3-0 HOME defeat against West Ham was awful. 6-0 against City was worse. 5-0 against Liverpool...a disgrace. With the money we spent, we are supposed to be on par with these teams and challenging them for the top places. Instead, they are SO far ahead of us right now it feels like we're in a time warp to the mid-90's. I'm by no means anti-AVB. In fact, I vehemently supported him right up until the 5th went in on Sunday. But it was time to realise that it just wasn't working out, it's as simple as that.

You want to know why we managed to get so many points last season? And why AVB's win percentage was so high? Two words: Gareth Bale.

Listen I agree with you 100%. The expectations here are ridiculous and people are so shouty when things don't go right immediately. The thing that irks me is the fact that we try to conduct ourselves like a rich or massively successful club when we're not.

We should want to have a manager who has a vision and we should want to age with them. The whole firing managers at the first sign of turbulence is so tiresome. The Spurs in constant turmoil sentiment makes supporting the club so tiresome. It's such a drain and it really just makes investing all the time seem like a real waste.

What I would like to see is the club try to establish some sort of pervasive identity. One that exists through different managers, players, ownership or whatever. Have something that we cling to as ours. Do we want to just be beautiful entertainers or do we just want to win as much as possible? We have no continuity and things change before we can ever get comfortable with anything. If you really think about it, Levy has become the face of our club. He's the only constant. Everything else including players, managers, style, stadium, etc are changing at a rate that is too quick to keep up with.

All I want is for someone to instill a plan, tradition, or identity at Tottenham. Something I can hold onto as a supporter when I think of the club. Should our focus be to play beautiful football at all times? If so, then let's embrace it. Go all out for it. Make that our thing. Should we do an Ajax or Barcelona and be committed to a formation? If so, let's do it.

I'm just sick of the scattergun approach. I want our football club to make up its fucking mind and go with it. What are we? It is why I always scoff at the "Tottenham Way" stuff. I'm almost 23 years old and I don't think I've ever seen any real consistency in anything at Tottenham. Hell last year we wore all white at home, a couple of years ago we tried to move out of North London, and we had George fucking Graham as a manager.

The "Tottenham Way" is something we as fans have made up or maybe once upon a time before I was born it was a real thing. It sure as shit doesn't exist now because there is no consistency in any decisions we have made since Venebles. The only constant in my life of supporting Spurs is being unlucky.

There is no "Tottenham Way" but I hope as a club we commit to start making one again. That's all I want, regardless of where that way puts us in the table.

This times a million. 'The tottenham way' is an utter myth that fans hang onto. How many big clubs out there base their expectations on a side from over 50 years ago? If there's a tottenham way then it's managing to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it's having a few skilful players but ultimately no backbone to win championships. It's a bunch of suits sat in a boardroom tinkering about with the club and coming up with a new direction every 2 years.
You can't base the DNA of the club on a few decent seasons half a century ago. I'm not belittling those great great sides. But I am 30 years old. Players I used to watch as a kid are now managers, coaches etc. that means I've supported the club for a complete generation. And in that generation I'm yet to see any consistent identity or system of play. A tottenham way, if you will.

This is how he feels. If we don't get relegated we still make like 80 million. So whatever.
Levy+Money.gif

Levy's buzzwords when AVB joined;

"Andre shares our long-term ambitions and ethos of developing players and nurturing young talent, and he will be able to do so now at a new world-class training centre."

"It is important we now look to develop the potential within the squads at all levels, while strengthening the first team in the summer in key positions with players who will become part of the future success of the club,"

It was never going to happen overnight.

Some of the responses in this thread make me cringe.Over the past few days it's been "I could see the problems with AVB's system", "AVB's football was boring", "I reluctantly admit that he had to go" and so on.

One game later, one game, and the knives are out. "Levy should never have gotten rid of AVB", "It's all a disaster", "get AVB back in", blah, blah, blah.

I mean really, what were you expecting from Sherwood? The man has never managed in his life and some of you are reacting in this thread like he's been given the job permanently until the end of time. Some facts to consider:-

- Like it or not, AVB's "best managerial record ever" does not make up for the fact that we couldn't even muster an attack under him. Not one shot on target last weekend. Huge goal drubbing against us. Highly paid strikers not being able to score for shit. These facts have not vanished because of a cup exit a few days later. The "best manager ever" record was not guaranteed to stay that way since it was an average figure. The more bad results the more that average would've dropped. Plus, if reports are to be believed there were tensions between him and the club and you cannot maintain an effective relationship under such circumstances in the long term, even if your manager is the Son of God. The reason for his departure that we have been discussing over the past few days have not suddenly vanished because people are upset about a cup result. There were problems under AVB that had to be fixed one way or another. There was no guarantee at all that everything was suddenley going to fall into place. How long was he supposed to be given? It was clear from the start that Redknapp was sacked because he failed to give us another Champion's League run. We know what Levy wanted and things were looking worse under AVB than they ever did under Harry. Now some of you are shocked that Levy didn't give AVB time? This surprises you? Have you been following the same club that I have?

- The players are the same players under AVB. For whatever problems there were under him, they were the ones out there on the pitch who were collapsing. Days after that Liverpool defeat confidence would have been low, there were still the same players bedding in, the defence was still makeshift, the strikers had hardly played and the formation was different. Despite this, there were chunks of the game where we attacked with effort, created chances and even scored. This was not happening this year under AVB however people want to dress it up. Plus Adebayor scored and, for the most part, played well and with purpose. How can that be a negative? The man has had only 45 mins of football the entire season but is showing he might be able to do something for us when the other strikers haven't been scoring. This is the man AVB refused to play. Oh, and before anybody trots out the "AVB was great in the cups" bullshit, has everyone forgotten our turgid exist from the FA Cup last year? What makes everyone think AVB would've won this game anymore than Sherwood did? West Ham absolutely spanked at home under AVB. Yet AVB would've likely played exactly the same formation today as he did a few weeks ago.

- Sherwood has not been given the job permanently. He is a caretaker coach there just to carry on the job for a few games until the new man comes in. When the likes of @ sammyspurs sammyspurs and @ Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante were moaning about AVB at the start of the reason I repeatedly made the point that it was too early to judge and we should wait for some time to seem how everything plays out. Many of you lined to rep or agree with that comment while telling sammy & co what cunts they were for being impatient and negative. But here you all are doing exactly the same thing. Sherwood has been here for one bloody game and he isn't even AVB's replacement!!! What do you want, bloody miracles, especially from someone entirely untested? You're essentially branding the next manager a failure before you bloody even know who he is!!!!!

Bottom line is that some of the comments in here are exactly the same impatient "I told you so" negative garbage that you have complained about for so long, just with the names changed. I'm reluctant to say it, but sammy is right when he says there are hypocrites on here. At least @ Flav Flav has been consistent and kept quiet on the AVB sacking until now, but some of the rest of you. Jesus wept, shameful.

AVB is gone and he isn't coming back. That's the way it is. Get behind Sherwood until the new man comes in, Support the club, not bloody AVB. The players need our back for they are our future. If AVB should've been given patience, then don't write off the next man before he is even here and certainly don't write of the caretaker because he's lost one solitary game.

But even big clubs don't hold onto managers nowadays. Mancini won the league and he got sacked!!

I personally believe that the general feeling is nothing is ever good enough for anyone. Everyone wants everything, all the time. Of course everyone wants to be better, more successful, win every weekend, best their rivals, play in the Champions League - but we can't ALL do that. And I'm not sure at what point we became a club that felt we earned the right to demand such things.

We have spent a lot of money, but only to keep up with the bunch at the top. We'd be miles behind the rest had we not. We haven't done bad in the last few years really, let's be honest. Let's keep our feet on the ground, and think realistically about what we can achieve.

Fuck me we could actually win the Europa League, which would be absolutely MASSIVE for us.

Listen I agree with you 100%. The expectations here are ridiculous and people are so shouty when things don't go right immediately. The thing that irks me is the fact that we try to conduct ourselves like a rich or massively successful club when we're not.

We should want to have a manager who has a vision and we should want to age with them. The whole firing managers at the first sign of turbulence is so tiresome. The Spurs in constant turmoil sentiment makes supporting the club so tiresome. It's such a drain and it really just makes investing all the time seem like a real waste.

What I would like to see is the club try to establish some sort of pervasive identity. One that exists through different managers, players, ownership or whatever. Have something that we cling to as ours. Do we want to just be beautiful entertainers or do we just want to win as much as possible? We have no continuity and things change before we can ever get comfortable with anything. If you really think about it, Levy has become the face of our club. He's the only constant. Everything else including players, managers, style, stadium, etc are changing at a rate that is too quick to keep up with.

All I want is for someone to instill a plan, tradition, or identity at Tottenham. Something I can hold onto as a supporter when I think of the club. Should our focus be to play beautiful football at all times? If so, then let's embrace it. Go all out for it. Make that our thing. Should we do an Ajax or Barcelona and be committed to a formation? If so, let's do it.

I'm just sick of the scattergun approach. I want our football club to make up its fucking mind and go with it. What are we? It is why I always scoff at the "Tottenham Way" stuff. I'm almost 23 years old and I don't think I've ever seen any real consistency in anything at Tottenham. Hell last year we wore all white at home, a couple of years ago we tried to move out of North London, and we had George fucking Graham as a manager.

The "Tottenham Way" is something we as fans have made up or maybe once upon a time before I was born it was a real thing. It sure as shit doesn't exist now because there is no consistency in any decisions we have made since Venebles. The only constant in my life of supporting Spurs is being unlucky.

There is no "Tottenham Way" but I hope as a club we commit to start making one again. That's all I want, regardless of where that way puts us in the table.

Being at the game tonight and watching Sherwood and Ferdinand parading the touchline looking clueless I couldn't help but think we are seriously fucked this season. This is no slight on Sherwood or Ferdinand but they have no experience managing any side let alone one in the premier league supposedly challenging for top 4 and trophies. I am almost certain they will do no better than AVB would have for the remainder of this season. So essentially we better have someone lined up or Levy really has dropped us in it. We are becoming a laughing stock and tbh I think AVB is the winner being far out of it

You have summed up how I feel, last night I went to the game not feeling like I knew who I was supporting - of course not West Ham, but what do Spurs actually stand for......I'd bought into us trying to build something long term, with a young and ambitious manager, with the perfect training ground and the new stadium just around the corner....

I feel like we'd taken one step back in preparation of perhaps taking two forward - there are no guarantees of course, and instead we've tripped up and fallen flat on our faces.

Well this is all pretty convenient....

Funny thing is I don't seem to remember many people saying "AVB needs more time" following the 0-5 loss on Sunday. Yet now we've lost with a caretaker 3 days it's very much "Levy is the spawn of satan, not giving AVB enough time".

This is just ridiculous. If we had stuck for, let's say another month, with AVB and nothing had changed (because let's face it we weren't making progress), Levy probably would've got blasted for not caring about the club enough and not taking action soon enough. The man may not be perfect by any means but I swear to God you simply can't win over some fans.

Enic positives:
1. Made us more profitable so we had more money to spend
2. Built new training ground
3. New stadium on the way
4. Wouldn't settle for mediocrity

Enic Negatives:
1. Trigger happy with managers
2. Price rises have affected home atmosphere
3. Keep selling off our best players meaning we are constantly in transition
4. Leave deals to the last minute affecting performances

On balance, who knows? Better than Alan Sugar though.

Does anyone actually think we would have won last night under AVB?
If so, why?

Also, why are all the eternal excuses made for AVB over the last 18 months now completely redundant for Tim Sherwood?

No one in the team needs to gel anymore?
A manager doesnt need time...after one day in charge before his first ever game?
"He's the manager so I support him...."

Cowards

Surely not even you, Flav, can deny that the football we have been playing this season has been utter shite? Really, really bad. We've laboured to win some games and got absolutely shit on 3 times. Last season Bale was the difference in so many games, but take out a ready made world class player and we look awful. I've been saying for weeks and weeks that we need to give him time and it's too early to judge, but it's half way through the season and we've looked convincing in one game.

7 players mate. 7 players. That is a project. I doubt any of them were his.

@ sammyspurs sammyspurs are you backing sherwood because you think he could be the right man for the job or are you backing him to prove a personal point?
I supported avb an there is no way I can see sherwood being a successful manager because there is absolutely nothing concrete to suggest that he will. I won't slag him off openly but if he is Levy's answer I don't really want to know what the question is

Back
Top Bottom