Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Out of interest; if Lloris were to go to United what about having a word with Valdes?

The bloke is still a quality keeper who I would be far from unhappy to have play for us. He isn't the commodity he once was which might strengthen out chances of getting him.

Just a thought.

You don't fix your defensive issues by selling your world class goalkeeper.
No, but teams above us have worse goalkeepers but a better defence. My point was that there will be life after Hugo. At some point he is going to move on, and I won't blame him. We are not going to achieve what he could elsewhere in the next 5 years, with our stadium build and therefore restricted spending.

There are plenty of excellent goalkeepers out there. We are more than capable of attracting them. We're fortunate to have one of the top 5 in the world. I can't see it staying that way.

Oh, no doubt. The only way I see us balancing the sale of Hugo is to invest the money wisely in a promising goalkeeper and another player. The problem is how we've spent money recently.

Edit: just as an aside, I feel like Lloris has been a great servant of the club during his time here. That doesn't mean I want to lay a fucking red carpet down for some transfer to Manchester United, but it also means I won't demonise him for wanting a move.

Particularly after the defensive shambles we've been putting in front of him of late.

Some will call me an ENIC apologist for that sentiment. They can fuck off.
Couldn't have put it better myself mate. Some cite it as a lack of ambition by ENIC, but what about Hugo's ambitions? He's a top 5 gk and captain for his country, who in any given tournament have a chance to win it. Can we guarantee him CL football and trophies? Don't think so.

I see some on here are now suggesting we can use the Lloris money to strengthen elsewhere. But why are we the only PL team to have to sell players in order to buy. Why must our net spend always balance out, despite the many other income streams coming into the club. Are we in financial difficulty or something. Or do our owners lack ambition. As Vertonghen said, if we have ambition we won't sell Lloris. I think he's more qualified to know than us lot. We'll see.
The £400m+ stadium is going to throttle our spending I imagine, and no doubt has done in the past 5 years as we've banked cash for the build.

I agree with you in general (and Vertonghen), but I still think with a more solid defence we wouldn't require so many worldies from Hugo. He's actually very replaceable for a club at our level. Ironically, if Vertonghen hadn't been so shit for 2 seasons Lloris wouldn't have been so embarrassed on numerous occasions and we might actually be in the CL and he wouldn't have such a desire to leave!!

To put it a different way; some keepers won't make a highlights reel of incredible saves but someone like Rob Green will. Rob Green is now a Championship keeper whilst Courtois is a title winner.

The ten outfield players have to be drilled in such a way that the keeper is protected, and therefore the goal, are protected. We aren't capable of doing that with the personnel we have. I would wager that someone like Begovic would be equally useful if we had Matic and Mascherano in midfield.

Not that I want shot of Hugo, far from it.

To put it a different way; some keepers won't make a highlights reel of incredible saves but someone like Rob Green will. Rob Green is now a Championship keeper whilst Courtois is a title winner.

The ten outfield players have to be drilled in such a way that the keeper is protected, and therefore the goal, are protected. We aren't capable of doing that with the personnel we have. I would wager that someone like Begovic would be equally useful if we had Matic and Mascherano in midfield.

Not that I want shot of Hugo, far from it.
Mertesacker and Koscielny made that Polish cunt look half decent. Says it all really.

No, but teams above us have worse goalkeepers but a better defence. My point was that there will be life after Hugo. At some point he is going to move on, and I won't blame him. We are not going to achieve what he could elsewhere in the next 5 years, with our stadium build and therefore restricted spending.

There are plenty of excellent goalkeepers out there. We are more than capable of attracting them. We're fortunate to have one of the top 5 in the world. I can't see it staying that way.!

And my point is, that under no circumstances should we be strengthening a team whom we are trying to catch by handing over our world class keeper..Whatever money is offered. A team who only finished one place either side of us each of the last two seasons. .......You can not, surely, justify selling Hugo to Man Utd on the one hand, while maintaining we still have champions league aspirations on the other. It just doesn`t add up. It`s utter nonsense.

And my point is, that under no circumstances should we be strengthening a team whom we are trying to catch by handing over our world class keeper..Whatever money is offered. A team who only finished one place either side of us each of the last two seasons. .......You can not, surely, justify selling Hugo to Man Utd on the one hand, while maintaining we still have champions league aspirations on the other. It just doesn`t add up. It`s utter nonsense.
I agree. Do not sell to Man Utd. But if Hugo went abroad, we could replace him and we could still have CL aspirations.

[QUOTE="Millbanks, post: 802397, member: 1963

There are plenty of excellent goalkeepers out there. We are more than capable of attracting them. We're fortunate to have one of the top 5 in the world. I can't see it staying that way.[/QUOTE]

But we already have an excellent goalkeeper. And he was happy to commit his future to the club last July. Whoever we replace him with wont be as good

However, if I knew you, I`d be willing to bet any money you like that Vorm will be our first choice keeper next season

But we already have an excellent goalkeeper. And he was happy to commit his future to the club last July. Whoever we replace him with wont be as good

However, if I knew you, I`d be willing to bet any money you like that Vorm will be our first choice keeper next season

I have no doubt that this was done with the pretext of increasing his value and the words give us one more season, see where we end up. All while we brought in a proven Premiership keeper in Vorm as an understudy.

This was always on the cards. I'm just holding out for him to go abroad as I'll be gutted to see him in a Manure jersey.

Vorm is nailed on to be our no 1 next season. I think he is a good keeper. With him in goal I suspect our defence will play deeper which will hopefully stop defences cutting through us like shit on a stick.

If we do play a high line with vorm in goal, it's gonna get very Lionel

Vorm is nailed on to be our no 1 next season. I think he is a good keeper. With him in goal I suspect our defence will play deeper which will hopefully stop defences cutting through us like shit on a stick.

If we do play a high line with vorm in goal, it's gonna get very Lionel
81475_1.jpg
???

Players commit their future all the time. 6 months later...on their way. Who sees out their contract? Very few.

No they won't be as good, but we don't need a keeper as good as Hugo to improve. The men in front of him need to be better. We could downgrade and have a better team IMO.

You don't know me, and you'd lose a lot of money, as I don't think Vorm is a suitable 1st team replacement. I've already stated who I'd go after to replace Hugo.

Back
Top Bottom