How many players do we need to be competitive again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need players but dudes we can't be restricted to young up and coming
or low to mid level punts

For once we need 3 ready to go quality upstarts a VDV vibe.
With the core of the team ripped open by incompetent contract feuds we need to get moving.
If we hope and pray as always it's going to be a lonesome place.

Still think it would be easier to change the manager but if as the thread starter said, we are theoretically keeping Poch then we’d realistically need a mixture of ready to go, proven international talent and up and coming future stars.

However, I have huge concerns over the integration of players we have bought over the years into the playing eleven. N’Dombele/GLC/Sess are cases in point. Under Poch, we make a signing and then don’t see them for months as they “are not yet ready for the rigours of the English game” or some such nonsense.

My first signing might be a DOF as there doesn’t appear to be an obvious transfer strategy at the club.

After that, the defence - upon which all success is built in football - is the priority. How Poch/Levy have handled the FB positions is a frankly a dereliction of duty. Shambolic. So, LB & RB it is. I’d also look for a dominant, seasoned CH. I know they are currently flavour of the month but Leicester appear to have set the benchmark here. The FB’s are class. They took a £3.5 educated punt on Jonny Evans and its worked. For the best will in the world, Dier is never going to be a Centre Half - he might look like one but doesn’t think like one. Also Sess, if reports are to be believed, won’t be a credible option at LB.

As Blakey said above a six/CDM is a must - Fabinho, Fernandinho, Kante. All the more successful teams have one.

Longer term, out GK might need replacing and we’d need some competition up front.

All this speculation is a bit of fun really but nothing more than, well, speculation and ahypothetical exercise. Our hands aren’t on the purse strings or on the team sheet.

What we are crying out for are early (in the window) decisive signings, immediate integration into the squad/team and a settled first XI with a clear style and footballing philosophy. A little like Spurs while we were flying...

RB \ CB - Foyth will fill in what left (Maybe Atal or koulibaly if napoli wants to get rid )
Dm - most important IMO (?)
Attacking player that can cover Kane or wing ( Maybe Everton ?)

So 3 and we will have a youngish and very talented team

Defensive midfielder and two FBs and we are a quality side again imho, CB situation is pretty grim too but we have decent to average cover there atm.
Moving forward with possibly/hopefully a new manager and a lot of outgoing players
Keeper
2 FBs
CB
DM
Striker

Well when we brought in 7 players it did not work. Our problems are in Defence including DM. That must be dealt with first rather than pursuing Dybella or other targets up front.

Sadly it's not just identifying the gaps in the squad but finding the right players to fill them. Personally I no longer think Poch is the man to do that or be able to attract the calibre of player we need. I just cannot see him being able to 'sell' his second rebuild and dream for the future.
We need a new manager for the January window who can say to any would be signing "These are exciting times for Spurs. I am building a side to match this new stadium and I'd like you to be part of it."
We also need someone capable of disposing of the unwanted players in a cold and clinical fashion without sentiment or favour. Only a new guy in charge, in my humble opinion of course,could effectively carry that out.
He would also need the full financial backing and support from Levy and there's the potential spanner in the works. If Daniel doesn't wish to spend then Poch stays and we will try and muddle through. Working on a shoestring budget and trying to make ends meet with an ever ageing nucleus of players.
Tough situations call for tough decisions. The ball is firmly in Daniel's court.

Sadly it's not just identifying the gaps in the squad but finding the right players to fill them. Personally I no longer think Poch is the man to do that or be able to attract the calibre of player we need. I just cannot see him being able to 'sell' his second rebuild and dream for the future.
We need a new manager for the January window who can say to any would be signing "These are exciting times for Spurs. I am building a side to match this new stadium and I'd like you to be part of it."
We also need someone capable of disposing of the unwanted players in a cold and clinical fashion without sentiment or favour. Only a new guy in charge, in my humble opinion of course,could effectively carry that out.
He would also need the full financial backing and support from Levy and there's the potential spanner in the works. If Daniel doesn't wish to spend then Poch stays and we will try and muddle through. Working on a shoestring budget and trying to make ends meet with an ever ageing nucleus of players.
Tough situations call for tough decisions. The ball is firmly in Daniel's court.

Odd assumption.

Yet he is monitered by all of Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid and Man Utd.

Odd assumption.

Yet he is monitered by all of Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid and Man Utd.

The fact that Poch might not be suitable for us anymore doesn't mean other clubs might think he's not a good candidate for them.

Just like Chelsea sacked AVB and we took a punt with him, so can other clubs think Poch might be worth the gamble.

The fact that Poch might not be suitable for us anymore doesn't mean other clubs might think he's not a good candidate for them.

Just like Chelsea sacked AVB and we took a punt with him, so can other clubs think Poch might be worth the gamble.

When it comes to them being socalled bigger, better clubs that's a rather different argument.

Notably though the original comment responded to was also about his ability to attract players; not whether he was the perfect manager for us any longer.

Surely the point went amiss there; so let me try again?

Who would be better off;

Man Utd with present player stock AND Poch?

Spurs with present player stock WITHOUT Poch?

I cannot believe how many Spurs supporters deluding themselves, that if Poch leaves all the rebels will suddenly start performing again and sign new contracts. It is really hillarious.

Back
Top Bottom