How many players do we need to be competitive again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kekerinho

ENIC COCKROACHES OUT
Let’s say Poch is still the man to go forward, how many players do you think we need to start winning consecutive games without having to rely on luck or VAR?
How many players do we need for an immediate fix of the situation we’re in?
Who can we get?

Let’s say Poch is still the man to go forward, how many players do you think we need to start winning consecutive games without having to rely on luck or VAR?
How many players do we need for an immediate fix of the situation we’re in?
Who can we get?

Bare minimum - LB, RB, CDM

RB - Sanchez - CB - LB
------CDM
Lo Celso - Ndombele
Lucas/Sess - Kane - Son/Sess

Last edited:
A new set of fullbacks , a defensive minded midfielder , a new CB and another striker to challenge Kane is the minimum

But signing a footballer isn't like going to the newsagent for a pint of milk apparently so we should be happy with no new additions any time soon

Plus any one we did sign wouldn't get 2 league starts for about 6 months with poch

A new set of fullbacks , a defensive minded midfielder , a new CB and another striker to challenge Kane is the minimum

But signing a footballer isn't like going to the newsagent for a pint of milk apparently so we should be happy with no new additions any time soon

In all honesty, as things stand we probably need a new RB, CB, CB, LB, DM, AM & potentially a backup FWD to add genuine depth.

I'm fine with Lloris for a while yet if it means we focus on other key areas. But on the flip side I really want to see the club being very proactive when it comes to shifting Aurier, Walker-Peters, Rose, Wanyama, do what we need to shift Eriksen in January, even if it's for £10m-£15m, be open to selling anyone who finds themselves on the bench more often than not etc.

When I look at the needs of the team, 7-8 possible signings to genuinely be a force I don't think we can realistically see something like that happen in one season. The club needs to proritise which positions are in most need and do our best to get 3-4 in each year so I expect tough two year grind.

Honestly, I would prioritise our needs as:

RB if Foyth isn't cut out for it
DM
CB
LB if Sessegnon isn't cut out for it
AM
Backup FWD
CB
GK

I'm honestly fine with Dier stepping up into backup CB once Toby & Jan go. The biggest issue I have is big Dav. For me we have to give him the season to find his groove but if he continues to have those shaky moments another CB is an absolute must.

Last edited:
In the next 2 to 3 windows, realistically we should be looking to bring in minimum...

A new GK (Onana?)
RB (Aarons?)
CB (Ake?)
CDM (Zakaria?)
AM (Fernandes?)
Forward (Dybala/Depay?)

It’s a crazy amount of work to do, but we’ve only ourselves to blame as a result of years of squad mismanagement, plain ineptitude in the market and allowing key players to run down their contracts.

Whatever happens regarding Poch, effects our recruitment strategy - certainly the way we are structured now, with no DOF to implement an over arching philosophy - but regardless of what happens with Poch we desperately need a 6/DMC.

After that it depends who we get in, how open they are to actually integrate the likes of Skipp, KWP, Tanganga, etc and what type of playing style we are going to have under any new regime.

In an ideal world we get a DOF in like Rangnick, and he over sees a coaching/playing/integration strategy and we recruit coaches and players to fit that.

Either way, I think we need some major surgery.

Last edited:
Expected Outgoings - Toby, Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Lucas, Aurier

With the expected outgoings, our squad probably looks something like this.

Lloris
Foyth - Sanchez - Dier - Sess
Winks - Ndombele - Lo Celso
Son - Kane - Alli

Squad Players : Lamela, Sissoko, Tangeta, Davies, Gazza, Skipp, Parott

Could this squad compete with the top 4 clubs in EPL?

Poch needs to pick a starting 11 and stick with it. Stop tinkering and start coaching the players in their position. If Dier isn't good enough - improve his training.

To be competitive in the league, i.e. be able to create chances and control games against lesser teams, we need a defensive midfielder and 2 full backs. To compete with Liverpool we need that plus a second striker, a creative midfielder and a centre back. Maybe a goalkeeper too.

4 (or 5 if Vertonghen is off) to be pretty much certain of Top 4, if that is what competitive means.

- 2 full backs
- one central midfielder
- Dybala

If it means win the league then we need the above plus another right back and a stud at centre back.

We need players but dudes we can't be restricted to young up and coming
or low to mid level punts

For once we need 3 ready to go quality upstarts a VDV vibe.
With the core of the team ripped open by incompetent contract feuds we need to get moving.
If we hope and pray as always it's going to be a lonesome place.

Still think it would be easier to change the manager but if as the thread starter said, we are theoretically keeping Poch then we’d realistically need a mixture of ready to go, proven international talent and up and coming future stars.

However, I have huge concerns over the integration of players we have bought over the years into the playing eleven. N’Dombele/GLC/Sess are cases in point. Under Poch, we make a signing and then don’t see them for months as they “are not yet ready for the rigours of the English game” or some such nonsense.

My first signing might be a DOF as there doesn’t appear to be an obvious transfer strategy at the club.

After that, the defence - upon which all success is built in football - is the priority. How Poch/Levy have handled the FB positions is a frankly a dereliction of duty. Shambolic. So, LB & RB it is. I’d also look for a dominant, seasoned CH. I know they are currently flavour of the month but Leicester appear to have set the benchmark here. The FB’s are class. They took a £3.5 educated punt on Jonny Evans and its worked. For the best will in the world, Dier is never going to be a Centre Half - he might look like one but doesn’t think like one. Also Sess, if reports are to be believed, won’t be a credible option at LB.

As Blakey said above a six/CDM is a must - Fabinho, Fernandinho, Kante. All the more successful teams have one.

Longer term, out GK might need replacing and we’d need some competition up front.

All this speculation is a bit of fun really but nothing more than, well, speculation and ahypothetical exercise. Our hands aren’t on the purse strings or on the team sheet.

What we are crying out for are early (in the window) decisive signings, immediate integration into the squad/team and a settled first XI with a clear style and footballing philosophy. A little like Spurs while we were flying...

Expected Outgoings - Toby, Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Lucas, Aurier

With the expected outgoings, our squad probably looks something like this.

Lloris
Foyth - Sanchez - Dier - Sess
Winks - Ndombele - Lo Celso
Son - Kane - Alli

Squad Players : Lamela, Sissoko, Tangeta, Davies, Gazza, Skipp, Parott

Could this squad compete with the top 4 clubs in EPL?

Poch needs to pick a starting 11 and stick with it. Stop tinkering and start coaching the players in their position. If Dier isn't good enough - improve his training.
You may want to put Eriksen in the outgoings!

Back
Top Bottom