How many players do we need to be competitive again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the next 2 to 3 windows, realistically we should be looking to bring in minimum...

A new GK (Onana?)
RB (Aarons?)
CB (Ake?)
CDM (Zakaria?)
AM (Fernandes?)
Forward (Dybala/Depay?)

It’s a crazy amount of work to do, but we’ve only ourselves to blame as a result of years of squad mismanagement, plain ineptitude in the market and allowing key players to run down their contracts.

To be competitive in the league, i.e. be able to create chances and control games against lesser teams, we need a defensive midfielder and 2 full backs. To compete with Liverpool we need that plus a second striker, a creative midfielder and a centre back. Maybe a goalkeeper too.

Let’s say Poch is still the man to go forward, how many players do you think we need to start winning consecutive games without having to rely on luck or VAR?
How many players do we need for an immediate fix of the situation we’re in?
Who can we get?

Bare minimum - LB, RB, CDM

RB - Sanchez - CB - LB
------CDM
Lo Celso - Ndombele
Lucas/Sess - Kane - Son/Sess

Last edited:
Whatever happens regarding Poch, effects our recruitment strategy - certainly the way we are structured now, with no DOF to implement an over arching philosophy - but regardless of what happens with Poch we desperately need a 6/DMC.

After that it depends who we get in, how open they are to actually integrate the likes of Skipp, KWP, Tanganga, etc and what type of playing style we are going to have under any new regime.

In an ideal world we get a DOF in like Rangnick, and he over sees a coaching/playing/integration strategy and we recruit coaches and players to fit that.

Either way, I think we need some major surgery.

Last edited:
4 (or 5 if Vertonghen is off) to be pretty much certain of Top 4, if that is what competitive means.

- 2 full backs
- one central midfielder
- Dybala

If it means win the league then we need the above plus another right back and a stud at centre back.

Expected Outgoings - Toby, Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Lucas, Aurier

With the expected outgoings, our squad probably looks something like this.

Lloris
Foyth - Sanchez - Dier - Sess
Winks - Ndombele - Lo Celso
Son - Kane - Alli

Squad Players : Lamela, Sissoko, Tangeta, Davies, Gazza, Skipp, Parott

Could this squad compete with the top 4 clubs in EPL?

Poch needs to pick a starting 11 and stick with it. Stop tinkering and start coaching the players in their position. If Dier isn't good enough - improve his training.
You may want to put Eriksen in the outgoings!

Surely the point went amiss there; so let me try again?

Who would be better off;

Man Utd with present player stock AND Poch?

Spurs with present player stock WITHOUT Poch?

I cannot believe how many Spurs supporters deluding themselves, that if Poch leaves all the rebels will suddenly start performing again and sign new contracts. It is really hillarious.

I don't see the correlation between my answer and your conclusion. Among those in their final contract year, I might only want to keep Toby... the rest can fuck off. I don't put them not performing on Poch. Key positions in the squad need to be addressed regardless who's coach.

On the other hand, I see the team as a whole performing better if Poch leaves, so yes, we could do better with our current players without him. If used correctly, Kane alone can help us grind out some wins.

I also have my doubts whether Poch could improve Manure with their current players at the moment. It's not like they have too many world beaters there and he'll probably ask for transfers there too.

Yes, I think a managerial change would do us good. And yes, I am deluded that after almost 6 years of winning nothing and almost an entire year of shit football I'm thinking we might need to look at a different manager. I can assure you I also believe that if we don't pick the right manager, we might find ourselves in a much better situation than we are now, but in the same time I feel the need for a change.

And I got the point right from the start: you like Poch and think others are responsible for where we are. I just tried to explain in a sensible manner that sometimes a manager (regardless of his quality) needs to move on so he can get back in the groove. In this case, I think Poch leaving would do both parties a lot of good.

Let’s say Poch is still the man to go forward, how many players do you think we need to start winning consecutive games without having to rely on luck or VAR?
How many players do we need for an immediate fix of the situation we’re in?
Who can we get?

A new set of fullbacks , a defensive minded midfielder , a new CB and another striker to challenge Kane is the minimum

But signing a footballer isn't like going to the newsagent for a pint of milk apparently so we should be happy with no new additions any time soon

Plus any one we did sign wouldn't get 2 league starts for about 6 months with poch

A new set of fullbacks , a defensive minded midfielder , a new CB and another striker to challenge Kane is the minimum

But signing a footballer isn't like going to the newsagent for a pint of milk apparently so we should be happy with no new additions any time soon

In all honesty, as things stand we probably need a new RB, CB, CB, LB, DM, AM & potentially a backup FWD to add genuine depth.

I'm fine with Lloris for a while yet if it means we focus on other key areas. But on the flip side I really want to see the club being very proactive when it comes to shifting Aurier, Walker-Peters, Rose, Wanyama, do what we need to shift Eriksen in January, even if it's for £10m-£15m, be open to selling anyone who finds themselves on the bench more often than not etc.

When I look at the needs of the team, 7-8 possible signings to genuinely be a force I don't think we can realistically see something like that happen in one season. The club needs to proritise which positions are in most need and do our best to get 3-4 in each year so I expect tough two year grind.

Honestly, I would prioritise our needs as:

RB if Foyth isn't cut out for it
DM
CB
LB if Sessegnon isn't cut out for it
AM
Backup FWD
CB
GK

I'm honestly fine with Dier stepping up into backup CB once Toby & Jan go. The biggest issue I have is big Dav. For me we have to give him the season to find his groove but if he continues to have those shaky moments another CB is an absolute must.

Last edited:
Expected Outgoings - Toby, Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Lucas, Aurier

With the expected outgoings, our squad probably looks something like this.

Lloris
Foyth - Sanchez - Dier - Sess
Winks - Ndombele - Lo Celso
Son - Kane - Alli

Squad Players : Lamela, Sissoko, Tangeta, Davies, Gazza, Skipp, Parott

Could this squad compete with the top 4 clubs in EPL?

Poch needs to pick a starting 11 and stick with it. Stop tinkering and start coaching the players in their position. If Dier isn't good enough - improve his training.

Back
Top Bottom