Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s going to be so fit for next period, those extra games and minutes for Korea hopefully see him in top form.

A lot players were in top form coming back to there clubs from regular games at the World Cup last year. Though the lower quality at AFCON/Asian cup might limit the benefits.

It says more about the squad than him. How about asking Messi to play in the SK squad and see if he could win the tournament. That's also the reason Portugal had that few honours despite having Cristiano there - the squad is just not at the same level. Somehow it's always forgotten football is a team sport after all.
Look at Mbappe - lost the WC Final but he was absolutely relentless. He didn't let the defenders breathe

I think it's more of a mentality thing with Sonny than anything else. He waits for the game to come to him rather than taking it upon himself to do something

He has the ability to do so but more often than not, when the stakes are truly high, he's content with being a passenger, afraid of making mistakes

That to me is not the mindset of a world class player

Hopefully I'm proven wrong this season and next and hopefully we an win something with him

What are you on about ?

The Asian Cup ?

When has he choked for us or country ? Kane has choked more than son.
City in the Quater Final of the Champions, proper Choke performance......... :ange-hmm:

Wait , Checking History :var:

Nope Sonny was absolutely world class and without him we would never have made the final! This talk of Sonny choking , or Spurys Narrative is just fucking lazy! Sonny would literally go to War on the pitch for Club and Country, he is a great ambassador of the club and i'm proud to see him wear our Shirt, I genuinely hope he does an Ardiles when he retires from playing and becomes and Ambassador of the club

Look at Mbappe - lost the WC Final but he was absolutely relentless. He didn't let the defenders breathe

I think it's more of a mentality thing with Sonny than anything else. He waits for the game to come to him rather than taking it upon himself to do something

He has the ability to do so but more often than not, when the stakes are truly high, he's content with being a passenger, afraid of making mistakes

Hopefully I'm proven wrong this season and next and hopefully we an win something with him
Nah. Gotta disagree. He's not on it every game but he was fucking hamstring by the dire tactics of former managers. He's getting his mojo back under Ange and he is a world class player.

You've already been proven wrong. Son has been immense for us this season. Got over the blip and injuries from last season and hasn't looked back. He's a leader in every sense and his mindset is elite. Not sure why you feel the need to call one of our best players out like this?

That Mbappe's a decent player too (in a one team league by the way).

I added up some numbers (posted into matchday thread, but thought to share here as well) about his time in the competition -

06.02 - played full 99 minutes
4 days rest
02.02 - played full 137 minutes (9+6+2)
3 days rest
30.01 - played full 139 minutes (extra time 12+1+6 min !!)
5 days rest
25.01 - played full 105 minutes (yes, 15 minutes extra time)
5 days rest
20.01 - played full 103 minutes
5 days rest
15.01 - played full 99 minutes

He did not miss one second of his team playing time.
That ended up 682 (!!!) fucking minutes. That is roughly 11,5 hours of football in span of 23 days.
All that while being their captain - lot of mental pressure.

So, let's have him back. Let's let him rest. Let's let him recover.
If needed we can bring him on for last 20 minutes against Brighton to finish off some good chances we create.

But we need him for the final part of the season. No point of risking season-ending injury when he has played this ridiculous amount of time.

I added up some numbers (posted into matchday thread, but thought to share here as well) about his time in the competition -

4 days rest
3 days rest
5 days rest
5 days rest
5 days rest

That ended up 682 (!!!) fucking minutes. That is roughly 11,5 hours of football in span of 23 days.

If needed we can bring him on for last 20 minutes against Brighton to finish off some good chances we create.

But we need him for the final part of the season. No point of risking season-ending injury when he has played this ridiculous amount of time.
Jesus. I'm sure he was happy to play every minute, but it's very difficult to maintain top form while being actively ran into the ground. Klinsmann had to rotate him.

You've already been proven wrong. Son has been immense for us this season. Got over the blip and injuries from last season and hasn't looked back. He's a leader in every sense and his mindset is elite. Not sure why you feel the need to call one of our best players out like this?

That Mbappe's a decent player too (in a one team league by the way).
No doubt he's been a great player and got elite level talent but I just wouldn't put him in the top bucket because he just hasn't proven he can carry a team (consistently) when the stakes are the highest

More often than not, he goes absolutely MIA. Again, I hope to be proven wrong

4 days rest
3 days rest
5 days rest
5 days rest
5 days rest

He can rest on the plane 😜🤣

No doubt he's been a great player and got elite level talent but I just wouldn't put him in the top bucket because he just hasn't proven he can carry a team (consistently) when the stakes are the highest

More often than not, he goes absolutely MIA. Again, I hope to be proven wrong
I'm not sure, outside of mbappe, Messi and Ronaldo, I can name a player that carries their team consistently when the stakes are the highest. Yes there's examples of players who are clearly better than their teammates at lesser clubs who appear to be doing what you're suggesting but honestly is there anyone outside of the 3 I've mentioned? Therefore, I would argue that expecting Son to be a part of this trifecta (dictionary swallowed) is unrealistic and therefore an unfair criticism.

Son comes back but his strongest position is CF, he's not the winger he used to be, still I suppose Werner is a better option off the bench than Gil assuming Son goes back on the left.

Son comes back but his strongest position is CF, he's not the winger he used to be, still I suppose Werner is a better option off the bench than Gil assuming Son goes back on the left.
Cant really drop Rich at the moment in his scoring form, my guess is Son slots back in at LW with Werner/Johnson/Kulu all fighting for the RW berth. Nice to have some varied options

Back
Top Bottom