Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

its the same as Corners - are shots from outside the area a waste of time?
Yes, they are mate the sat prooves such. It's also why I didn't bat an eyelid when we played Chelsea and let them take pot shots from outside the box all match. It's also the shout you here in every game up and down the country "all day long" referring to letting the other team take long distance pot shots.

but you wont accept that almost every other means of moving the ball into the box is also, by the same standards, shit?

crosses - less than 2% return
FKs - less than 2%
passing into the box - no stat exists so how do you know its better?
I'm not breaking down every fucking option fella. Just corners. (Actually, I do bang on about crosses and why I hate Tripps for pumping them in every fucking game because they are a waste of time as they are so low %.).

Yes, they are mate the sat prooves such. It's also why I didn't bat an eyelid when we played Chelsea and let them take pot shots from outside the box all match. It's also the shout you here in every game up and down the country "all day long" referring to letting the other team take long distance pot shots.
I wasn't happy facing corners from Fulham

I just really hope Sonny doesn't pick up any sort of knock at the Asian Cup... especially with the complete and utter joke that is the KFA "medical staff"

fair enough - take a read of this if you are inclined - it has a good breakdown of Shooting from distance compared to not (and risk losing possession in trying to create a shot from inside) and the expected goals.

OptaPro

Its quite close statistically when you take into account you may lose the ball making a shooting opportunity in the box. (*all models are just that but it does provide a framework).

Coming back to the decision evaluation process, the revised expected values are as follows:
- Shoot from position outside penalty area = + 0.036
- Try to create chance inside 29.9% x 0.150 = + 0.045

Will resist the urge to get into that cunt-off between...well I don't know at this point. Both sides are correct and you guys are just talking past each other and/or arguing for the sake of it :dembelewtf:

Corners are low quality chances, and the only ones who should be excited by them are fans of teams where those sort of pot shot chances are the best, you're gonna get. In fact with many being exceptional at breaking at great pace, there's nearly as much chance of conceding from your own corner, unless you're defensively sound.

We're taking a high "risk", high reward approach especially when Eriksen and nearly as much when Trippier takes. Which just goes to show that Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 is right when he says it's a difficult skill, because we do in fact mix it up and go for a more floated cross when Lamela, Son, Rose or Davies on occasion grabs the corner.

Along with the point that Poch is aware of the percentages in how we take them, which was my point in previous post and Dr Rocktopus Dr Rocktopus beat me to, then to kick in something as to other low percentage spots, then Poch seems acutely aware of this also. Not all crosses are equal and the deeper you cross from the worse off. Only Trippier seems to have license to cross from deep, and even that is rare, which relates back to the skill level, which Poch clearly thinks only he has. Add Eriksen in though, but that's more precision passes for runners from deep than crosses per se. Incidently, Pool and especially City as the other top teams in the league have a similar approach.

Likewise for shots from far out. We've cut right down on shots from further than a yard or two outside the box, and only very few have license to have a whack occassionally.

We'd clearly rather work it around one more time, even if it means going back to our CB's before going forward again, rather than have a whack at it, be it from a cross or shot. Which makes perfect sense. At least statistically.

Qatar tonight ... even though Son has not looked at his best he's still shown his class:

"That Son Heung-min is the best player in Asia is a widely touted notion – and it’s because of statistics like this. Having played just two games in the tournament after arriving late from Tottenham to join up with the squad, Son has already created 10 scoring chances for his teammates"

I'm not breaking down every fucking option fella. Just corners. (Actually, I do bang on about crosses and why I hate Tripps for pumping them in every fucking game because they are a waste of time as they are so low %.).
A few thoughts:

All options are low-%, since this isn't basketball. That's why we are lucky to see any team score more than 3 or 4 out of 60 advances in 90 mins.
Any higher-% option ceases to be so if that's all you do. You'll get spotted and defences will expect it.
'Mixing it up' increases your low-% chances, but *only* in the context of having mixed it up. Not, for example playing 4 or 5 crosses in a row. Likewise, rotating your chance-creation can get predictable: cross, long-ball, slide-pass - repeat isn't going to work for long.

The only thing that sustainably increases chances is good chemistry within an intelligent and tactically-aware team who can un-shape a defence and use the right tactic at the right time. The right cross at the right time is the highest-% option.

I'm watching the Qatar v. South Korea match. 2nd half seems to be even so far.

Setting up to be another 120min match for Son! :pochfacepalm:

Back
Top Bottom