Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is a really stupid deal on Korea's part tbh, Asian Cup is way more important than the Asian Games. Although I guess they will have more than enough to beat Philippines and Kyrgyzstan, but if it were me I would want him involved through the entire tournament. Doesn't matter either way though because Australia are gonna beat them in the final again ;)
I don't even have to read much in. I am 99 percent certain the Korea Football Association fucked it up again.

Korea won the first group match 6-0, and lost the 2nd one 1-2...........

Son was rested for the first one but subbed for the 2nd one when Korea was already losing 0-2.
Korea rotated 6 players for the 2nd one, and they were TERRIBLE.

Son was rested for the first one but subbed for the 2nd one when Korea was already losing 0-2.

Do we know what that means? Are they in a group stage or is it single elimination?

Do we know what that means? Are they in a group stage or is it single elimination?
They need to draw Kyrgyzstan to advance to the knockout stages. Apparently the first tie-breaker in the group stages is head to head, so they can only advance as 2nd place now? They'll play whoever wins the group between Saudi and Iran. Ironically who they face will be influenced by the NK v Saudi.

They're likely going to have to beat 2 of the top 3 other teams in the tournament just to make it to the final (Saudi/Iran, Japan in a semifinal)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Korea Football Association fuck up saga continues. It is the worst ran organizion I have ever seen in my whole life.

This is the tournament that has no bearing on his military service right?

....The next one is the biggy?

I'm sure I read that a good in January is his one last chance of squeezing past doing military service. This ones the biggy but I definitely remember reading that the January Tournament can get him a last gasp way out of things.

Nope. Asian Cup means nothing because it is not an event all South Korean athletes have a chance in (i.e - it's football only). Asian Games or Olympic Games and that's it, under the new policies.

Somebody (sorry, can't remember who) shared this great summary earlier in this thread, which I've had bookmarked: (Long Post) I've attempted a breakdown of Spurs' Heungmin Son and his situation with the military draft of South Korea. : soccer

That guy clearly likes the sound of his own voice, he neatly sums it up in the first paragraph

“It's very simple - Win the Asian Games in Indonesia this August, or seek a medal at the Tokyo olympic games.”

But then goes on to write War and Peace after it

That guy clearly likes the sound of his own voice, he neatly sums it up in the first paragraph

“It's very simple - Win the Asian Games in Indonesia this August, or seek a medal at the Tokyo olympic games.”

But then goes on to write War and Peace after it
So he’s got til summer 2020 before he potentially has to hang up his boots to pen push in the Korean military? What a bastard to have hanging over your head.

And yet we just gave him a new contract

Yeh, that seemed odd to me too.

I reckon no trophy for SK and Levy shifts up a gear; going full-on bond villain mode on their ass and hold the entire nation to ransom.

#FreeSonny

Still think it's bogus we can't just send Vinny as a sub instead tho'.

Back
Top Bottom