Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That is an incredibly small sample size. Hard to say that is Chadli at his best and not just a purple patch which many players have.

Not a purple patch, he was (for a long time) the only one of the 7 that wasn't shite (even Eriksen struggled at first). He got better and was on fire under Poch, but then he went all David Bentley after his dad died and never recovered.

I wouldn't say it's a small sample size - his form is entirely comparable to Son (ok first season, picked up second season), except Chadli was consistent up until January - it's the post January Chadli that, unfortunately, everyone seems to having living in their memory.

I like to think Son and Janssen are sparking up an understanding. I remember that Son found Janssen against Millwall and Janssen set up Son against Swansea. There have been some signs whenever they've been on the pitch.

That's useful to have!

Not a purple patch, he was (for a long time) the only one of the 7 that wasn't shite (even Eriksen struggled at first). He got better and was on fire under Poch, but then he went all David Bentley after his dad died and never recovered.

I wouldn't say it's a small sample size - his form is entirely comparable to Son (ok first season, picked up second season), except Chadli was consistent up until January - it's the post January Chadli that, unfortunately, everyone seems to having living in their memory.
My argument would be we are comparing a 27 year old who is a finished product with an improving 24 year old. In his later years, Chadli proved that run of form was not permanent. Now if it was due to his dad is debatable. Son is performing at a similar level and still has room to improve. I wouldn't say we have even seen Son's best yet. We know what Chadli is.

That is not to say I didn't like Chadli. He was a good squad player and had moments where he was a valued starter. Seemed like he had a good attitude and I'd never blame him for wanting to get more playing time elsewhere, but I wouldn't say he was more than average by our standards.

I don't care what Chadli was that season. That's not the point. We know what Chadli was after. Son is an unknown quantity.

That's the straw man I'm on about, because that was the exact point.

The point purely was that peak Chadli was a more finished product than Son currently is. This stems from the fact that Son was, essentially, Chadli's replacement.

Son is a good player, with plenty of potential (which is only a good thing), but he won't be a full replacement for Chadli until he finds a way to play consistently. That, imo, is the reason why he's not one of the first names on the team sheet, and why everyone still doesn't really know what Son's position is.

(As it happens, I think people would have appreciated Nacer much more if he wasn't surrounded by some of the half-arsed turds that he had to call team mates back then)

That's the straw man I'm on about, because that was the exact point.

The point purely was that peak Chadli was a more finished product than Son currently is. This stems from the fact that Son was, essentially, Chadli's replacement.

Son is a good player, with plenty of potential (which is only a good thing), but he won't be a full replacement for Chadli until he finds a way to play consistently. That, imo, is the reason why he's not one of the first names on the team sheet, and why everyone still doesn't really know what Son's position is.

(As it happens, I think people would have appreciated Nacer much more if he wasn't surrounded by some of the half-arsed turds that he had to call team mates back then)

I get your side on Chadli. But most of us just don't agree with it buddy. You made your point so lets just move on.

I get your side on Chadli. But most of us just don't agree with it buddy. You made your point so lets just move on.

It'd be easier to do so if people didn't keep quoting posts, taking them out of context, then arguing a point that wasn't made.

I swear this is the only place you could say "Maradona was better than Son" and some bell would use the 56 year old coke addled fat Maradona as the reference point to try and argue otherwise.

It'd be easier to do so if people didn't keep quoting posts, taking them out of context, then arguing a point that wasn't made.

I swear this is the only place you could say "Maradona was better than Son" and some bell would use the 56 year old coke addled fat Maradona as the reference point to try and argue otherwise.
No problem. And I think Chadli's peak is too small a sample size and also that we possibly haven't seen Son's yet. Agree to disagree.

I never thought Chadli was that good even when he was supposed to be (before his father died). He slowed us down and it was obvious Poch would let him go. He couldn't play in our current team - he'd look ridiculous. Son obviously can, although he has a lot of room for improvement. I don't remember Chadli coming off the bench to affect games like Son does. Maybe he did? All I know is we've improved since he left.

But some folk rate Sissoko, and rated Paulinho, so it's not an exact science.

Last edited:
I never thought Chadli was that good even when he was supposed to be (before his father died). He slowed us down and it was obvious Poch would let him go. He couldn't play in our current team - he'd look ridiculous. Son obviously can, although he has a lot of room for improvement. I don't remember Chadli coming off the bench to affect games like Son does. Maybe he did? All I know is we've improved since he left.

But some folk rate Sissoko, and rated Paulinho, so it's not an exact science.
Son is the first impact sub I can remember for a while. Chadli was just an extra body that didn't kill the level of play.

Not sure why comparing Son and Chadli as both here last season. If Chadli had not been sold would we have bought Sissoko? That's who we should be comparing Chadli with. Should have kept Chadli.

rvrQpU5.png

Good job, Son

With there being a bit of a lack of a song for Son, I would love to see the crowd just give him a big chant of "SOOONNY SOOONNY SOOONNY" much in the way we do for "HUUUGO HUUUGO HUUUGO" wen he pulls of one of his blinding saves!

Not sure why comparing Son and Chadli as both here last season. If Chadli had not been sold would we have bought Sissoko? That's who we should be comparing Chadli with. Should have kept Chadli.

Based on a statement that was made a few pages ago.

I think the whole Son / Chadli twatwaffle has now been settled once and for all.

Ah yes - the shot down "purple patch" argument comes 360 and is now used as an argument for :pocheyes:

Same people who kneejerk at form will be calling for his head the next time he plays a bad pass.

Back
Top Bottom