Has the club tarnished its own reputation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For the first time in all the years I've supported the club, I cant help but feeling the club has smudged shit all over the badge. If you were a top class manager being approached by the club, there aren't many things that would draw me to the job right now - given the track record of getting through so many coaches, backroom staff and players over the years.

In a sense we're victims of our own demise, because when levy looks over at the stands and there are 100's of Tottenham fans running for the exits with 15-20 minutes to go week after week, he must get pressured to make decisions and top of that you get Tottenham fans boo'ing their own players..
The place doesn't have a sense of passion or drive for success as much as it did a few years ago rather now where its a stadium full of fickle fans

thoughts on this?
Where has this new-found attitude come from that we constantly sack managers, singling Spurs out, like every other club has a long term manager at the helm?

Look at this - http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/longest-current.html

AVB would be 32 on this list, and the joint 5th longest serving Premier League manager (with Rodgers, Hughton, Bruce, Lambert & Laudrup), only behind Wenger, Pardew, Allardyce and Mackay.

There's only 22 teams of the 92 that have had a manager at the helm for 2+ years. Only 4 in the Premiership. Those figures are disgusting but sum up modern day football. The average term is 1.91 years in the Premier League.

Can we stop pretending that we are somehow unique in our hiring and firing of managers?

Name Club Appointed
Arsène WengerWoolwich1 October 1996
Alan PardewNewcastle United9 December 2010
Sam AllardyceWest Ham United1 June 2011
Malky MackayCardiff City17 June 2011
Brendan RodgersLiverpool1 June 2012
Paul LambertAston Villa2 June 2012
Chris HughtonNorwich City7 June 2012
Steve BruceHull City8 June 2012
Michael LaudrupSwansea City15 June 2012
Mauricio PochettinoSouthampton18 January 2013
Mark HughesStoke City30 May 2013
José MourinhoChelsea3 June 2013
Roberto MartínezEverton5 June 2013
Manuel PellegriniManchester City14 June 2013
David MoyesManchester United1 July 2013
Gus PoyetSunderland8 October 2013
Tony PulisCrystal Palace23 November 2013
René MeulensteenFulham1 December 2013

West Brom and Spurs are not listed as we are manager-less. Just look at that list. It's shocking, but also a reality check.We're seriously questioning why managers would take a job at Spurs? Do they want a job? It's not volunteer work. They get paid, and we expect them to deliver on whatever targets/expectations we/the board have.

We've had 19 Premier League managers, the joint highest with Newcastle BUT 6 of those were caretakers and 1 was joint management (Clemence & Livermore). We've appointed 12 managers since '91. 6 since 2001 (ENIC ownership), which averages just more than 2 years per manager - a higher average than the PL average.

Shall we stop acting like we're QPR. We're not in a disastrous situation, and we've been in far worse in recent times.

Where has this new-found attitude come from that we constantly sack managers, singling Spurs out, like every other club has a long term manager at the helm?

I don't give a feck about all the other clubs. THFC has become a joke with it's handling of managers in recent times and Levy is a trigger happy little turd who wants a complete yes man in charge or he's looking for the first reason to fire him.

As has been said, managers at Spurs get paid royally for their troubles. There'll be a queue a mile long and counting for our job. We probably won't get one of the 'top managers', but there are plenty of good ones out there we can get. Benitez, who has won more in his career than Spurs have in the past 40 years might be one we could tempt. Maybe Di Matteo, there will be someone who's won stuff who wants to take the job I'm sure.

But as ENIC won't back him with the necessary cash it will be meaningless, and the not so merry-go-round will start again with another huge compensation fee paid for by us the mug punters, not by ENIC who as usual will keep their money in their pockets. And who can blame them, there are millions of us Sky fodder to keep them bankrolled for life.

What's more I enjoy being taken for a mug, because I'm a hopeless addict with a huge football-shaped hole in my life.

My name is Greavesie, I'm a footballholic!

Arsene Wenger is the last of the old guard, we're no different to the other 18 clubs chopping and changing with inept owners who have robbed managers of their identity and left them as nothing more then nodding yes men who are disposable at any time.

Ferguson and Wenger were/are giants within their club and they've always received nothing but absolute respect and support from the board and owners even in tough times, contrast to our last few managers who suffer one bad result then have to worry about the camera close up of sour lemon sucking snake oil salesman Daniel Levy.

It makes me sad thinking about it and though I've disliked Ferguson it was a sad footballing moment to see him go, walking out on the pitch one last time and getting the respect from every man woman and child in the ground is something I doubt we'll ever see one of ours receive, and even Wenger when he finally calls it a day will get all his due respect and people will will appreciate (maybe not most of us) all he's done in the game coming from being a virtual nobody, it's why I genuinely hope a guy like Sherwood succeeds so he can raise us up from the ashes of disappointment to some form of success so we can be proud of the fact we did it our way with one of our own.

Just realised I've gone on a little longer then I intended and gotten quite emo in the reply but fuck it I'm tired and frustrated and didn't want to leave a generic 5 word reply.

Here's my view on the managerial merry-go-round ... I'm actually okay with changing managers if they really don't fit our long-term goals. Everyone does it these days, and they pretty much always have in Europe. What I'm not ok with is having no footballing identity, no vision of the way we want to play in the long term to inform our decisions. We lurch from 'man manager' to 'thinking type' to 'man manager' to 'thinking type' over and over again - from a populist Dutchman, to a glamorous modern foreign Messiah who couldn't speak English but was supposed to transform the entire culture of this club, to an old-fashioned 'farkin run about a bit' Englishman who also couldn't speak English but gave Huddlestone his ketchup back, back to a glamorous modern foreign Messiah who was supposed to transform the entire culture of this club and become our SAF forever and forever.

Notice how none of these managers share remotely the same philosophy of football, much less a kind of system. If we really want to become Ajax or Porto or Dortmund, why don't we do what they do and decide on our identity first, and then pick the personnel who believe in that identity? Why are we/Levy so obsessed with magically hitting upon 'The One' who will come in, boot out the partiers and overly-comfortable-with-mediocrities, and cover our walls with Sacchi and Bill Nicholson quotes as he steers our entire ship to the glory lands of "Next Level"? Regardless of who the manager is, why aren't we busy strengthening ourselves as an institution - finding the most promising youth and assistant coaches, the best medical staff, the most talented DOF and scouts? Why the hell did we let Liverpool poach Inglethorpe, one of the most highly rated youth coaches around by all accounts?

We shouldn't depend on one guy to make us a modern, technical football team, we should be doing things like establishing a transfer strategy focused on getting the raw material behind that team and then finding a manager who believes in that vision too. Not getting AVB in first and then squirming around uncomfortably as he says he really needs Moutinho.

I give us a lot of credit for transforming our youth system in recent years, and building that new training center. Those are the sort of long-term "backbone" things that I think are really crucial if we want to grow organically. But if we feel that our academy will be absolutely key to our future, then we absolutely have to prioritize "youth integration" as a key trait of our manager. AVB had no experience with bringing through youth, and Harry had some experience but never in that systematic way like Ajax's managers.

In sum ... I don't think we've tarnished our reputation irreparably, I think we have plenty of promising elements - a young team that has a few holes but also plenty of talent, a great academy that's underutilized, a superb training center, the possibility of taking this club in a new direction because we're lost and still seeking an identity - that any ambitious manager should see and feel tempted by. But when interviewing, we need to make it very clear to the manager what we're looking for, not just in terms of end-of-year targets but in terms of "here's how we want to play, here are our ideas on the kind of signings we think would best build on our squad so far, do you think this fits with your personal philosophy? or if we do need to add certain players to make this work, are they actually gettable?" We can't just pick a manager and tell him to 'go get us fourth, here's 25m this summer' ... that never actually works. We'll go on a bad run and panic and sack him and then find another new guy with a totally different approach to football and hope it works this time (and of course, we'll blame everything on the previous guy because he was supposed to do everything). I'd like us to try coming in like a Swansea instead - with a strong support structure in place, everything built up over time and just waiting for the right catalyst to pull us together.

For the first time in all the years I've supported the club, I cant help but feeling the club has smudged shit all over the badge. If you were a top class manager being approached by the club, there aren't many things that would draw me to the job right now - given the track record of getting through so many coaches, backroom staff and players over the years.

In a sense we're victims of our own demise, because when levy looks over at the stands and there are 100's of Tottenham fans running for the exits with 15-20 minutes to go week after week, he must get pressured to make decisions and top of that you get Tottenham fans boo'ing their own players..
The place doesn't have a sense of passion or drive for success as much as it did a few years ago rather now where its a stadium full of fickle fans

thoughts on this?
Agree! I heard (Radio) that Brendan Rogers, was approached to take over when Redknapp was sacked and he declined because of Mr Levy's track record (8 managers in 10 years?, then) for dismissing coaches! Also agree, regarding the boo-boys and the expectation! We were/are a club in (9 new players. If you like me include Rose and Townsend, who spent a season away from the club) transition! Transition = Time and Patience!! And even though we were in "Transition" and , agreed, not (yet) playing the most expansive and attractive football. Poorly if you like!! We were still only 5 points off of our target goal and with less than half a season played! We are Tottenham Hotspur! Not Man City, Chelski, Man Utd and it pains me to say it, Woolwich! Levy came out and publicly supported the new signings and his manager (therefore his footballing philosophy!) so why less than 4 months later dose he do what he did?

There has to be more to AVB dismissal than what we have seen on the pitch! An if not, then Levy is a...........

Money talks.

You think any top manager gives two fucks about AVB if Levy can pay him 4M a year?
Got to say sammy is right on this one. While there will be some managers who want a long term project, I think a lot are likely to be motivated by the idea of a big paycheque if they get sacked.

As for the rest, I don't think it was the sacking of AVB per se that is the problem, it is the fact that it has come after so many before. I think if there had been less we would not be having this conversation.

Still think Levy made the right call on AVB, but, as I say, it's his history that is now coming back to haunt him. I've stayed off this forum for the past few days because I'm sick of reading all the post West Ham fawning over AVB and seeing the same people repping posts against his sacking who were lining up on Monday to tell us that reluctantly they knew why he had to go. Fickle, fickle, fickle until the cows comes home and I know I'm gonna end up in an argument over it. Also, the overwhelmingly negativity after months of bemoaning people who were negative about other things/people is difficult to take. Some of you should be taking a long term look at yourselves and your double standards.

This is not about AVB, Sherwood, Levy or anything else. Might be a shit time, but I am going to do what I always do. Look at the positives and support THFC the club. I, for one, remember much worse.

The way some of you are behaving it's absolutely ridiculous, let's get some perspective and focus on the facts of what's gone on as we know them thus far, and also discuss the present and the future in order to have something more than knee jerking!!!

Firstly AVB was not actually sacked, he left by mutual consent. From the info which is now being played out, (which is often well orchestrated by Levy, manager and the media) AVB had a meeting with Baldini and Levy in which suggestions were made to AVB. Like the bitch he proved to be, AVB threw his toys out and probably took it as a gesture of a lack of support. Agreeing on mutual terms the day after saying he wouldn't quit

There had been rumblings throughout the season and alot of question marks about AVB, not helped by the fact his star player was being sold. However, things didn't always go as planned in the transfer market though this is the system which is employed and actually preferred by AVB, a director of football system.

No matter which way you look at it, the players are all quality players, we haven't bought any duds, of this there is no doubt. These were all the next best of the bunch, besides the one's we simply can't compete with such as those purchased by clubs with better financial muscle than us, for considerably larger fee's and wages than we could afford, Hulk, Willian, Oscar, Moutinhio etc. Yes, we may have been hasty paying big numbers on a few, but we were also victims of the market prices from which we also benefited.

So although AVB didn't get exactly the players he wanted, he was left with a fucking decent squad. He did not say no to any of the signed players, so no matter how anyone tries to cherry pick half truths, he was on record saying he was happy with the signings and he wasn't moaning.

The season started and it was obvious to all that watched Spurs week in and out that this was last years Spurs less the magic. With steady results and a solid start, albeit against mostly lesser sides, the boardroom were beginning to feel the rumblings from supporters.

To understand the atmosphere, you have to know what kind of club Spurs is, by this, I don't mean what it projects it is, but how it's run from the inside from the halls and corridors of THFC. So taking this into perspective, Levy is NOT the only person making important decisions, there are a few on the board who's voices aren't ignored although it is Levy who takes final action, decisions aren't always solely his own, only as a collective does such a serious matter as parting ways with the 'head coach' or manager take place.

So imagine the character AVB is, by all accounts, keeps very guarded, doesn't endear himself to staff, cold and machine like, basically a bit of a cunt. There's staff at Spurs who didn't perhaps get the best of run ins, if any with him, now imagine how the likes of Harry or Jol would have been in and around the Tottenham facilities, especially Redknapp. Having good relations with all this buys you some leverage in bad times, it's people management 101.

So AVB gives cunty vibes off to lots of people, from those on the training ground staff, doctors and even members of the board. Different to the cunty vibe's they would have got from Redknapp, who's cunt vibe meter is firmly set on selfish, delusional, dodgy, lovable rogue.

When performances start to look a little boring, the moan's can be heard even louder.....I like to describe the kind of person who is now the average person with a season ticket at Spurs, let's say well, they are mostly in their mid 40's and they love a moan.

So then there's the executive boxes, fan groups, media & pundits, ex players, club staff etc....Slowly everyone starts having a moan, then West Ham happened...We carried on as if it was a blip, then Newcastle happened, shortly followed by Man City and finally Liverpool. Throughout this time the pressure was being put on AVB and he basically made the presses self fulfilling prophecy into a reality.

All this talk of "attacking & possession football that he believes in" or the 'it wasn't him, it was Chelsea ego trippin", "Abramovich back stabbed him" that was all smoke and mirrors, to those that really mattered, those real supporters, the one's who spend alot of money on Spurs, the one's closest to THFC, the one's who earned a living off Spurs and follow Spurs relentlessly and the one's within earshot of the board and Levy, to those, AVB's philosophy was bullocks because they could see it on the pitch and in the stadium, there wasn't any character, personality or genuine feel of passion to the football we played. It felt like a scripted system, a typical European philosophy successful in Mediterranean countries.

Levy even saw this lack of character and charisma, (Levy perhaps also identifying this shortcoming in his own personality) by appointing Steffan Fruend, to try and bring the passion but again AVB soared that, by explicitly asking Fruend to stop his sideline antics in the middle of his first season, (something fans loved) and by the start of the second season, Fruend looked more like backroom staff than assistant manager.

AVB had already alienated alot of people in England with Chelsea, players and press. The same was happening at Spurs. From the start, he alienated Modric and several players were told in no uncertain terms and actions that they were not required. As a human being, this fucks with you, especially when as in some cases, you are not even told by the head coach directly?

No matter what you may think of Benny & Ade they both brought something to the Lane. For Benny, he's become a cult figure and one of a few who has regular contact with real supporters. For Ade, let's face it, he took the piss but simply put Spurs are not the type of club that can afford to have a £100k per week striker left in the cold especially when our other options aren't scoring nor could we afford to loan out last seasons first team left back out to a championship side. Then there's Gomes, say what you will but not even registering him for the Europa League as a 3rd goalkeeper is a piss take. Now obviously they wanted to sell him abroad perhaps to someone who wanted him eligible for Europe but even so, the way you communicate that to your players and how it comes across is important! These players are experienced and add to the atmosphere of the dressing room and the corridors of THFC especially a team who were getting rid of some big characters in the dressing room like Parker, Huddlestone, Livermore, Caulker all English players with EPL experience who understand the mentality and commitment whilst.

Our balance was tipped, where before, the blend of old and young, British based and foreign import was just about right, we ended up with 7 EPL virgins, whilst losing several English based one's and it didn't help that AVB was on the one hand trying to impose himself on the club (alienating those within the club, who weren't convinced with him) and his rigid tactics on the un-tested new squad.

His stubborness blinkered him on establishing quickly, which players and which area's of the team needed what. He got it wrong countless times in his team selection and subs. He was making the beautiful game into rigid game of possession with no end result, no speed, no flair and no passion.

At this time of everyone loosing their heads, we need the experience, we need the characters and those players who can do the managers bidding and understand what this league is all about but not enough players did that for AVB regularly enough besides Bale, without him in his second season, he was challenged to his core and was found wanting.

Now we all need to regroup and get behind the team. Sherwood made mistakes but he knows (so do we) he's not permanent, because of the fact it seemed the Doctors were making the team decisions against West Ham on Wed, not the interim manager. Sherwood's lack of experience was exposed but we enjoyed the attacking game more, we played with more passion and although the personnel who would have normally been strong in the air and defensively, Dawson, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Sandro were all missing, I for one don't think it's doom and gloom unless we make it so....

What we don't need is a bunch of us losing our heads and creating a similar atmosphere to Emirates. The future, well we take what we can for the rest of the season and crack on. It's football and in particular it's EPL football, and to succeed we need to show a united front. AVB was clearly a man who divided opinions.

The way some of you are behaving it's absolutely ridiculous, let's get some perspective and focus on the facts of what's gone on as we know them thus far, and also discuss the present and the future in order to have something more than knee jerking!!!

Firstly AVB was not actually sacked, he left by mutual consent. From the info which is now being played out, (which is often well orchestrated by Levy, manager and the media) AVB had a meeting with Baldini and Levy in which suggestions were made to AVB. Like the bitch he proved to be, AVB threw his toys out and probably took it as a gesture of a lack of support. Agreeing on mutual terms the day after saying he wouldn't quit

There had been rumblings throughout the season and alot of question marks about AVB, not helped by the fact his star player was being sold. However, things didn't always go as planned in the transfer market though this is the system which is employed and actually preferred by AVB, a director of football system.

No matter which way you look at it, the players are all quality players, we haven't bought any duds, of this there is no doubt. These were all the next best of the bunch, besides the one's we simply can't compete with such as those purchased by clubs with better financial muscle than us, for considerably larger fee's and wages than we could afford, Hulk, Willian, Oscar, Moutinhio etc. Yes, we may have been hasty paying big numbers on a few, but we were also victims of the market prices from which we also benefited.

So although AVB didn't get exactly the players he wanted, he was left with a fucking decent squad. He did not say no to any of the signed players, so no matter how anyone tries to cherry pick half truths, he was on record saying he was happy with the signings and he wasn't moaning.

The season started and it was obvious to all that watched Spurs week in and out that this was last years Spurs less the magic. With steady results and a solid start, albeit against mostly lesser sides, the boardroom were beginning to feel the rumblings from supporters.

To understand the atmosphere, you have to know what kind of club Spurs is, by this, I don't mean what it projects it is, but how it's run from the inside from the halls and corridors of THFC. So taking this into perspective, Levy is NOT the only person making important decisions, there are a few on the board who's voices aren't ignored although it is Levy who takes final action, decisions aren't always solely his own, only as a collective does such a serious matter as parting ways with the 'head coach' or manager take place.

So imagine the character AVB is, by all accounts, keeps very guarded, doesn't endear himself to staff, cold and machine like, basically a bit of a cunt. There's staff at Spurs who didn't perhaps get the best of run ins, if any with him, now imagine how the likes of Harry or Jol would have been in and around the Tottenham facilities, especially Redknapp. Having good relations with all this buys you some leverage in bad times, it's people management 101.

So AVB gives cunty vibes off to lots of people, from those on the training ground staff, doctors and even members of the board. Different to the cunty vibe's they would have got from Redknapp, who's cunt vibe meter is firmly set on selfish, delusional, dodgy, lovable rogue.

When performances start to look a little boring, the moan's can be heard even louder.....I like to describe the kind of person who is now the average person with a season ticket at Spurs, let's say well, they are mostly in their mid 40's and they love a moan.

So then there's the executive boxes, fan groups, media & pundits, ex players, club staff etc....Slowly everyone starts having a moan, then West Ham happened...We carried on as if it was a blip, then Newcastle happened, shortly followed by Man City and finally Liverpool. Throughout this time the pressure was being put on AVB and he basically made the presses self fulfilling prophecy into a reality.

All this talk of "attacking & possession football that he believes in" or the 'it wasn't him, it was Chelsea ego trippin", "Abramovich back stabbed him" that was all smoke and mirrors, to those that really mattered, those real supporters, the one's who spend alot of money on Spurs, the one's closest to THFC, the one's who earned a living off Spurs and follow Spurs relentlessly and the one's within earshot of the board and Levy, to those, AVB's philosophy was bullocks because they could see it on the pitch and in the stadium, there wasn't any character, personality or genuine feel of passion to the football we played. It felt like a scripted system, a typical European philosophy successful in Mediterranean countries.

Levy even saw this lack of character and charisma, (Levy perhaps also identifying this shortcoming in his own personality) by appointing Steffan Fruend, to try and bring the passion but again AVB soared that, by explicitly asking Fruend to stop his sideline antics in the middle of his first season, (something fans loved) and by the start of the second season, Fruend looked more like backroom staff than assistant manager.

AVB had already alienated alot of people in England with Chelsea, players and press. The same was happening at Spurs. From the start, he alienated Modric and several players were told in no uncertain terms and actions that they were not required. As a human being, this fucks with you, especially when as in some cases, you are not even told by the head coach directly?

No matter what you may think of Benny & Ade they both brought something to the Lane. For Benny, he's become a cult figure and one of a few who has regular contact with real supporters. For Ade, let's face it, he took the piss but simply put Spurs are not the type of club that can afford to have a £100k per week striker left in the cold especially when our other options aren't scoring nor could we afford to loan out last seasons first team left back out to a championship side. Then there's Gomes, say what you will but not even registering him for the Europa League as a 3rd goalkeeper is a piss take. Now obviously they wanted to sell him abroad perhaps to someone who wanted him eligible for Europe but even so, the way you communicate that to your players and how it comes across is important! These players are experienced and add to the atmosphere of the dressing room and the corridors of THFC especially a team who were getting rid of some big characters in the dressing room like Parker, Huddlestone, Livermore, Caulker all English players with EPL experience who understand the mentality and commitment whilst.

Our balance was tipped, where before, the blend of old and young, British based and foreign import was just about right, we ended up with 7 EPL virgins, whilst losing several English based one's and it didn't help that AVB was on the one hand trying to impose himself on the club (alienating those within the club, who weren't convinced with him) and his rigid tactics on the un-tested new squad.

His stubborness blinkered him on establishing quickly, which players and which area's of the team needed what. He got it wrong countless times in his team selection and subs. He was making the beautiful game into rigid game of possession with no end result, no speed, no flair and no passion.

At this time of everyone loosing their heads, we need the experience, we need the characters and those players who can do the managers bidding and understand what this league is all about but not enough players did that for AVB regularly enough besides Bale, without him in his second season, he was challenged to his core and was found wanting.

Now we all need to regroup and get behind the team. Sherwood made mistakes but he knows (so do we) he's not permanent, because of the fact it seemed the Doctors were making the team decisions against West Ham on Wed, not the interim manager. Sherwood's lack of experience was exposed but we enjoyed the attacking game more, we played with more passion and although the personnel who would have normally been strong in the air and defensively, Dawson, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Sandro were all missing, I for one don't think it's doom and gloom unless we make it so....

What we don't need is a bunch of us losing our heads and creating a similar atmosphere to Emirates. The future, well we take what we can for the rest of the season and crack on. It's football and in particular it's EPL football, and to succeed we need to show a united front. AVB was clearly a man who divided opinions.

Epic

AVB had a meeting with Baldini and Levy in which suggestions were made to AVB. Like the bitch he proved to be, AVB threw his toys out and probably took it as a gesture of a lack of support. Agreeing on mutual terms the day after saying he wouldn't quit

Ties in nicely with this....from even before day one:

André Villas-Boas is threatening to pull out of talks about replacing Harry Redknapp at Tottenham Hotspur after discovering the club are still speaking to other candidates at the same time as talking to him about the job.
The Portuguese has complained to associates that "they are talking to 10 other coaches" and though that is clear exaggeration, it indicates how dismayed he is to learn that Levy has not identified him as the sole candidate.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/jun/20/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-manager-talks

Massive ego. The man who thought he had outgrown Jose

:paulinhofacepalm:

Very good post.

Ties in nicely with this....from even before day one:

André Villas-Boas is threatening to pull out of talks about replacing Harry Redknapp at Tottenham Hotspur after discovering the club are still speaking to other candidates at the same time as talking to him about the job.
The Portuguese has complained to associates that "they are talking to 10 other coaches" and though that is clear exaggeration, it indicates how dismayed he is to learn that Levy has not identified him as the sole candidate.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/jun/20/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-manager-talks

Massive ego. The man who thought he had outgrown Jose

:paulinhofacepalm:
I never knew that. Wow. Who the fuck expects to go to an interview as the only candidate?

Got it ,harrymonk,skunk,easy this ryming slang:windy:

I'm certainly never smoking one of your spliffs.

:avbnaa::gylfi::lennon:

I never knew that. Wow. Who the fuck expects to go to an interview as the only candidate?
Or it's as much a negotiating tactic as saying, 'well, we're interviewing lots of candidates'. Surely, I'm not the only person here who's gone to a place to chat up others and gotten pressure from one of them to hurry up and make my decision in order to leave the rest of the field high and dry.

Firing Ramos was the wrong move. He only got 1 year. He needed more time to enable his long term vision for the club. He won us our only piece of silverware in the last 14 years, then had his two best players sold out from under him.
Firing Graham was the wrong move. He won us our only other piece of silverware in the last 22 years. He was a manager with multiple First Division titles under his belt who was only given two and a half years. He needed more time.
Firing Gross was the wrong move. He only got 9 months for crying out loud! How was he meant to leave his mark on the club in that space of time?

Hello? Anyone still there?

Just because a manager is young, described as "progressive" and widely considered a tactically strong manager doesn't mean he's going to improve if you just give him infinite time.

AVB may have had us set on a death spiral and had he stayed the club would be set back years.

AVB may have been on the cusp of getting it right and seeing us onto unrivaled success, darkest before the dawn...

Its the ultimate "What if?" isnt it?
Levy pulled the trigger, now we will never know.

Back
Top Bottom