Has the club tarnished its own reputation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

trouble is, I believe most players these days are so emotionally unstable on the field, all it takes is a few bad results, or a slight lack of belief in their managers tactics that there will be no going back for them. What are you supposed to do then? long gone are the days of jones, Ruddock etc that played fucking football regardless. The game is a slave to the players and as been said above its highly unlikely there will be very very few teams that will nuture another saf or wenger that can term, on paper, average teams into winners (man utd current team for example)

Firing Ramos was the wrong move. He only got 1 year. He needed more time to enable his long term vision for the club. He won us our only piece of silverware in the last 14 years, then had his two best players sold out from under him.
Firing Graham was the wrong move. He won us our only other piece of silverware in the last 22 years. He was a manager with multiple First Division titles under his belt who was only given two and a half years. He needed more time.
Firing Gross was the wrong move. He only got 9 months for crying out loud! How was he meant to leave his mark on the club in that space of time?

Hello? Anyone still there?

Just because a manager is young, described as "progressive" and widely considered a tactically strong manager doesn't mean he's going to improve if you just give him infinite time.

You raise a good point.

While taking the brunt of some posters anger over the last months about how we should all support AVB, and by not, you are not supporting the team and should just "fuck off.."

I asked several people if they supported Gross, Graham, Harry, Hoddle and Ramos, 100%, all of the time.

No one ever answered.....

:harryhmm:

I cant remember how old I was, maybe 10 or 11 and Christian gross was in charge; we were doing shit and teletext had a phone in poll vote asking whether or not he should be sacked, so me and my step brother found 10p and went down to the nearest phonebox and voted yes. We obviously thought it made a difference in those days lol

Just because a manager is young, described as "progressive" and widely considered a tactically strong manager doesn't mean he's going to improve if you just give him infinite time.
Monday early morning, I wrote that I believed that AVB will (and should) stay in the position until the end of the season. He'd been given a goal (top 4), and that goal is still, obviously, within reach. I don't know how a huge fanboy like me would've reacted in June 2014 if he had gotten the sack for finishing fifth (and maybe winning a cup?), but it will have been the case that he had failed to meet the expectation of his board for the second season running.

To get him to leave now, with us still in four competitions and looking strong in two… That felt like knee-jerk. OTOH, maybe it's the case that Levy sent him an SMS "hey, maybe you should consider Adebayor for your striker woes? lol :)" and he went berserk and quit. Who knows.

But I don't think we stand in a better position to get top 4 now than we did early Monday morning. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I asked several people if they supported Gross, Graham, Harry, Hoddle and Ramos, 100%, all of the time.

No one ever answered.
The implication here is that there are posters on this forum that supported AVB 100% of the time? I'm one of the biggest fanboys around, and I thought he didn't handle transitioning Lloris in appropriately. I thought he was too hell-bent on getting Moutinho. And this season there were other things that struck me as odd or worthy of criticism.

But I also am fully cognizant of the fact that I have very, very, very fucking limited and imperfect access to the facts. I don't pretend to be a mind-reader or expert on body language who can assert that the tiny pixels on my screen have clearly given up on their head coach. I don't know who's hurt and who's shut out (just like I didn't under Redknapp or before… Gio being a perfect example). I don't know why AVB acted what looked like incoherently stubbornly about certain things. So I don't nitpick every little thing he does wrong (like I didn't with Redknapp or before). That doesn't mean I'm 100% behind AVB.

You posit your triumphant 'No one ever answered' as proof of how correct, ultimately, you are. I see it, instead, as proof that no one has taken your rather obvious bait. Well, no one except me.

The implication here is that there are posters on this forum that supported AVB 100% of the time? I'm one of the biggest fanboys around, and I thought he didn't handle transitioning Lloris in appropriately. I thought he was too hell-bent on getting Moutinho. And this season there were other things that struck me as odd or worthy of criticism.

But I also am fully cognizant of the fact that I have very, very, very fucking limited and imperfect access to the facts. I don't pretend to be a mind-reader or expert on body language who can assert that the tiny pixels on my screen have clearly given up on their head coach. I don't know who's hurt and who's shut out (just like I didn't under Redknapp or before… Gio being a perfect example). I don't know why AVB acted what looked like incoherently stubbornly about certain things. So I don't nitpick every little thing he does wrong (like I didn't with Redknapp or before). That doesn't mean I'm 100% behind AVB.

You posit your triumphant 'No one ever answered' as proof of how correct, ultimately, you are. I see it, instead, as proof that no one has taken your rather obvious bait. Well, no one except me.

Yet I supported AVB in his approach to the Utd game, and through last season, and this, up until about late October
And through three windows of transfers despite losing key players under his tenure.
I supported his signings
I supported his views on trying to win the EL, and liked that he took it seriously.
I supported certain aspects about his management, in terms of trying to pass it around and dominate.
I supported his inclusion of Defoe.
I supported his decision to stick with Holtby paid off and I had underestimated the player.
I supported that he at least tried to give 442 a bash
I supported the fact that Levy messing up the Moutinho transfer had massive implications on AVBs plans
I supported him giving Townsend a chance
I supported him sticking with Dawson after nearly selling him, and admitting it was good he stayed
I supported his away record
I supported his earlier stability in at the back

What didnt I support?

The reluctance to play a system which suited his players
Having no plan b
Loaning BAE
Ditching Ade

Last edited:
i know. I'm just so thoroughly disillusioned with the club right now that all I can do is post my despair on this forum until it gets better

:klinsmann:

All you can hope Jim is that they are just taking the time sorting out the details of Bergkamp taking over from De Boer at Ajax so he can join us.

#thankgoditsnotvincenttan

Monday early morning, I wrote that I believed that AVB will (and should) stay in the position until the end of the season. He'd been given a goal (top 4), and that goal is still, obviously, within reach. I don't know how a huge fanboy like me would've reacted in June 2014 if he had gotten the sack for finishing fifth (and maybe winning a cup?), but it will have been the case that he had failed to meet the expectation of his board for the second season running.

To get him to leave now, with us still in four competitions and looking strong in two… That felt like knee-jerk. OTOH, maybe it's the case that Levy sent him an SMS "hey, maybe you should consider Adebayor for your striker woes? lol :)" and he went berserk and quit. Who knows.

But I don't think we stand in a better position to get top 4 now than we did early Monday morning. Hopefully I'm wrong.
i actually think he whatsapped AVB with a pic of Ade saying Y you mad bro

Am I the only one who feels optimistic?

Sammy I am usually really optimistic, so much so it pisses off my Yid mates, but this one is tough, I thought of Soldado driving to training in the sheeting rain, showing up to listen to a guy he's never heard of who has no management experience, yes he is bright and Levy's man but what does that mean to these players?

We'll get someone in soon thats for sure, Levy is pursuasive we know that

Sammy I am usually really optimistic, so much so it pisses off my Yid mates, but this one is tough, I thought of Soldado driving to training in the sheeting rain, showing up to listen to a guy he's never heard of who has no management experience, yes he is bright and Levy's man but what does that mean to these players?

We'll get someone in soon thats for sure, Levy is pursuasive we know that

To be fair, Soldado is probably the happiest man in the universe right now

Am I the only one who feels optimistic?
Can't speak for everyone else, but I dont share your optimism.

It does now look like Levy has sacked AVB without securing a replacement, it's risky at best.....

If we start getting turned down by the people he really wants, then we end up going into the shallower end of the management talent pool.

Im optimistic that to a Martian looking down at the table, all is dandy.
Yet we have a chairman who is wholly unsatisfied with mediocre and dull.

Im optimistic that even if this season is a write off, our next manager will be one that can achieve our targets while playing good football.

Otherwise, Levy would have stuck with AVB.

Laudrup on possibly managing spurs. "It doesn't seem like a job I would enjoy"

And there you have it

Didnt he make comments before that he wasnt interested in the high profile jobs because they never end well and tarnish your reputation, and that they are hugely pressured?

Im sure it was something along those lines. He seems to enjoy working at clubs of lower expectation so he can enjoy himself a little "care free".

At Spurs he would be under massive scrutiny, it wouldnt surprise me if it put him off

Didnt he make comments before that he wasnt interested in the high profile jobs because they never end well and tarnish your reputation, and that they are hugely pressured?

Im sure it was something along those lines. He seems to enjoy working at clubs of lower expectation so he can enjoy himself a little "care free".

At Spurs he would be under massive scrutiny, it wouldnt surprise me if it put him off

where do these guys get the impression that a job at spurs could be a risky deciscion ?

Back
Top Bottom