Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To suggest he had influence from central midfield as Modric is rose tinted
bollocks . A good tidy performance against brilliant opposition . Well done .
At the moment a little Ray Wilkins for me , sideway , back passing with little impact going forward .
He should risk the killer ball to open up the other team .
Hopefully he will gain in confidence to play as a creative talent than a pair of good safe hands .
Last night for me 7.5/10 , compared to Lloris 10 , Erikesen 5 , Verts 8.5 .

To suggest he had influence from central midfield as Modric is rose tinted
bollocks . A good tidy performance against brilliant opposition . Well done .
At the moment a little Ray Wilkins for me , sideway , back passing with little impact going forward .
He should risk the killer ball to open up the other team .
Hopefully he will gain in confidence to play as a creative talent than a pair of good safe hands .
Last night for me 7.5/10 , compared to Lloris 10 , Erikesen 5 , Verts 8.5 .
He did try a through ball, but it didn’t come off. He is 21 and playing at the Bernabeu, nowhere near the level of Modric last night. But that is the sort of level he should be aiming to reach in the next 5 years. Yesterday will have brought him on light years.

To be fair the majority of his passes were side-ways layoffs - Modric was sublime was last night, suggesting Winks was the better player based on passing completion is ridiculous, imv

I didn’t say he was the better player, I said he out passed him. No mean feat considering who he was up against. As a 21 year old starting out against some of the best in the world. He played with a composure beyond his years. If you cannot appreciate that and already prepared to write him off as the next Ryan Mason it’s disappointing. Compare Wink’s in the CL to Mason in the CL.

Really pisses me off when people look at young players and rate them on what they are now. Plus, have we not learned that players develop under Poch? Winks has the technique and composure to be really good.

Winks is our version of Wheelchair without the cuntiness. Also under Pochettino I thinks Winks can develop into our Iniesta rather than shipped out on loan to Hull or Bournmouth.
Hope he can prove me a cunt and be the next Gazza - just cannot see it at this point myself

I didn’t say he was the better player, I said he out passed him.
That's a deceiving stat if all you do is 2 yard side lay-offs - that's the only point I wanted to make. Winks did better than Eriksen overall, something I would have never said at halftime

That's a deceiving stat if all you do is 2 yard side lay-offs - that's the only point I wanted to make. Winks did better than Eriksen overall, something I would have never said at halftime

Fact of the matter, backwards, sideways or forwards, he pretty much got it to one of his teammates, neat and tidy. He wasn’t losing possession. In the face of the opposition he was facing that should be commended, Eriksen had an off night at least both Harry Winks and Sissoko stepped up.

Fact of the matter, backwards, sideways or forwards, he pretty much got it to one of his teammates, neat and tidy. He wasn’t losing possession. In the face of the opposition he was facing that should be commended, Eriksen had an off night at least both Harry Winks and Sissoko stepped up.
Sissoko was the second best player for me on the night after Lloris

I also thought Kane would never make it with all those loan moves
On the other hand l was told that Mason , Livermore, Benatab would be world beaters with time .
It's fantastic being proved wrong and a great joy .

In a game against opposition of this calibre, possession is key and certainly not losing the ball in your own half as they will punish you for that. Winks was clean and precise and I imagine did exactly what Poch requested. He recycles the ball well and with purpose laying it off to other players to make the creative difference. For me I was worried how he would be after a long lay-off last season so to see him come back improving in each performance is brilliant. Will he make it as a top player in the future? I hope he does but if not I can see him coming on in the 70th minute to sure things up and that's a worthy addition in many tight games.

I think he's gonna be another Ryan Mason / Tom Carroll sold to WBA for massive profit 2 years from now - sorry not buying into the hype. Tidy little player but that's about it
At 21 he's already much better than both were at his age. I' d reserve my judgement until he has 2 full seasons with us under his belt. He'll be 23 by then and there will be very little room for further growth/development. If he hasn't reached the required level we may still get at least 25-30m for him.

I said Kane would never make it - no shame in admitting that. At the time it was my opinion - have you never been wrong, mate?

I have been wrong lots of times, especially when it comes to our players. Winks had a great night and you’re writing him off as the next Ryan Mason. Most of us agree he performed well in the face of that opposition, let’s enjoy the fact we have another star named Harry in the making.

Hope he can prove me a cunt and be the next Gazza - just cannot see it at this point myself
Much more likely to be the next Carrick I’d suggest. He was really good with the ball last night and yes, the majority of his passes were simple. However, I think RM thought him a weak link in the side so pressured him strongly, meaning when Winks passed to Sissoko, Dier, etc, they had time to get their heads up and do something more forward thinking with the ball.

Anyone playing that well against Modric and Kroos has a bright future.

Modric is 32 with over 550 games under his belt .... to have Harry compared with him with whilst still a 'raw' 21 year old playing just his 43rd senior game, that gives our boy huge props .... is he as good as Modric? of course not .... but with a decade of games ahead of him who knows how good he can become .... remember at 21 Modric was still a year away from his European debut ..... not looking the part in front of 81,000 Los Blancos fans .....

Back
Top Bottom