Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yesterday really emphasised something for me. In the second half, Kane, Winks and Lamela were clearly putting that bit more into every pass, run and tackle than anyone else. To them, the shirt matters and it’s deeply personal. We should stick with Winks and invest in him. He looked very tidy against a very skilled opposition, but he’s also got that connection, emotion and energy that other players will never have in them. He gets what it means to wear the Lilywhite shirt.

Yesterday really emphasised something for me. In the second half, Kane, Winks and Lamela were clearly putting that bit more into every pass, run and tackle than anyone else. To them, the shirt matters and it’s deeply personal. We should stick with Winks and invest in him. He looked very tidy against a very skilled opposition, but he’s also got that connection, emotion and energy that other players will never have in them. He gets what it means to wear the Lilywhite shirt.
Every player was trying their best, the other team was just much better.

A lot of that is to do with Winks coming through the academy we saw that with Barca so many of their players could pass to each other like they could read minds.

If you grow up playing with the same people and for the same club you get skilled and motivated players.

For me he is almost exactly the same player that Ryan Mason was even in terms of being as injury prone. Bentaleb had more intelligence to his play. The good thing is he is young so maybe he can improve you never know. The best thing we can do is give him chances to play. He played well vs Watford when they were down to 10 mean and a good game vs Huddersfield.

Your right, he is very much like Mason, but I thought Mason had a bit more about him. Don't get me wrong Winks is a prem player, but can anyone genuinely see another top side interested in him? Winks is a Watford type player, I honestly can't see him making it for Spurs. The only reason he get's game time is because he came through the youth, does anyone on here really think we would have bought him if available from another club ????

Your right, he is very much like Mason, but I thought Mason had a bit more about him. Don't get me wrong Winks is a prem player, but can anyone genuinely see another top side interested in him? Winks is a Watford type player, I honestly can't see him making it for Spurs. The only reason he get's game time is because he came through the youth, does anyone on here really think we would have bought him if available from another club ????

We were linked with Cook at Bournemouth, Winks is better than him so why not?

He's a young English player that has Spurs in his heart. If he doesn't have a great career it will be due to too many injuries not due to a lack of ability.

Why so many on here seem to spend so much time bashing our own is beyond me. What miserable little lives you must lead!

We were linked with Cook at Bournemouth, Winks is better than him so why not?

He's a young English player that has Spurs in his heart. If he doesn't have a great career it will be due to too many injuries not due to a lack of ability.

Why so many on here seem to spend so much time bashing our own is beyond me. What miserable little lives you must lead!
Its not really bashing, I dont want him playing too much for us because hes just not very good . If you really want to see miserable fucks constantly bashing someone, search for the word Sissoko you will see a list of them miserable lives living type people.

Its not really bashing, I dont want him playing too much for us because hes just not very good . If you really want to see miserable fucks constantly bashing someone, search for the word Sissoko you will see a list of them miserable lives living type people.

Ha, 'he's just not very good'?!

What a cuntish view to have as well as being totally incorrect.

You're just one of those types,that bash homegrown players and prefer fancy foreign signings instead.

I bet you once said the same about Kane!

:kaneshh:

I can see him making it at Spurs. He's got the desire to improve which is the key thing. Without that, he'd probably have been no better than O'Hara who was potentially a very good player but a complete piss head.

Agree with MDG, if he doesnt make it it'll be because of injuries.

You could have said the same about Kane you buy some players for right now and some for development (that only comes with game time).

I think he has a lot more to come, he hasn't fully developed and he has a high ceiling. He has certain attributes that are top quality (acceleration, receiving under pressure) and if he can develop and improve you have a top player who gives a damn about the club.

This is very true. Sissoko isn't liked because of what he cost. If he came through our ranks and was the same player I am sure people would be singing his praises. I don't care that Winks is a Spurs supporter, I don't care that he was a youth player, and I don't care he is still young, the fact is he is not good enough to play Spurs.

Ha, 'he's just not very good'?!

What a cuntish view to have as well as being totally incorrect.

You're just one of those types,that bash homegrown players and prefer fancy foreign signings instead.

I bet you once said the same about Kane!

Actually as soon as Kane came on the first couple of times when playing for AVB, I used to have big rants about why he isnt playing more instead of fucking Soldado.

I remember idiots like you who used to wank on about Ryan Mason as well. Within a year or so they realised just how shit he was. You will learn.

This is very true. Sissoko isn't liked because of what he cost. If he came through our ranks and was the same player I am sure people would be singing his praises. I don't care that Winks is a Spurs supporter, I don't care that he was a youth player, and I don't care he is still young, the fact is he is not good enough to play Spurs.
I don't like Sissoko playing because he can't trap a bag of cement, and our game at its best is quick passing possession football. And his finishing is dreadful. If he came through the ranks I'd still groan inwardly, cheer him on, and applaud his workrate. And hope we could upgrade next transfer window.

It's not just Tottenham fans that rate Winks.

He's very highly thought of in the England circles and while the media love to bash us , please don't think I'm saying he's on the same level, but even the majority have high opinions of him and he seems to get similar love to Kane.

He's not perfect and has had injuries to contend with but my opinion of him is that he has shown enough quality to stick by him. As someone else pointed out he's played a lot of games and in good competitions against top opponents while at a similar age Modric was still at Zagreb.

Also, I'd wager that there's at least 12 teams in the league right now that would snap our hands off for 25m odd. When he's confident and fit I've seen plenty of will and ability to move the ball forwards whenever possible and to get stuck in.

A shorter version would be , and I quite like him, but if we sold a homegrown talent like winks ahead of someone like Sissoko I'd be furious

As this is a Winks thread, I will have to have my say. Throughout Spurs history we have had a number of average players the supporters believe may be the next Pele, believe me Winks is just another false dawn. He is no different to to Steven Clemance, Bentaleb, or at best Ryan Mason. He works hard, but does little else than pass the ball backwards in order he doesn't get picked up for his mistakes. Honestly, he is an average low table player at best. Expect to see him at a team such as Watford or Burnley next season.

I don't think he's ever going to be a world class 8, but it's stupid writing the kid off completely after about 6 league starts spread over 3 years. Did you think Kane would be what he is after his early starts under Redknapp and AVB?

He doesn't have to be world class to be viable right now though does he? I mean, he only has to be better than Sissoko to be worth a place in the squad, which he is, and right now we don't have any other "8" types in our team. Dembele's fucked, Eriksen's more a hybrid 10/8, and Alli is also more of a hybrid and nowhere near as metronomic as Winks (or Eriksen) if that's what we need.

The problem with a lot of the players you mention (Winks, Mason, Bentaleb) is that they would be much better in CM3's but Poch rarely plays CM3's. This is not confined to those players, most decent 8's look so much better in CM3 systems (even the very best ones Modric, Rakatic, Iniesta, Xavi, Pogba, Vidal)

He's very highly thought of in the England circles and while the media love to bash us , please don't think I'm saying he's on the same level, but even the majority have high opinions of him and he seems to get similar love to Kane.

He's not perfect and has had injuries to contend with but my opinion of him is that he has shown enough quality to stick by him. As someone else pointed out he's played a lot of games and in good competitions against top opponents while at a similar age Modric was still at Zagreb.

Also, I'd wager that there's at least 12 teams in the league right now that would snap our hands off for 25m odd. When he's confident and fit I've seen plenty of will and ability to move the ball forwards whenever possible and to get stuck in.

A shorter version would be , and I quite like him, but if we sold a homegrown talent like winks ahead of someone like Sissoko I'd be furious
Modric had already won Croatian player of the year ahead of grown up players at the age of 22. We paid a club record fee to buy him if I remember right. He was only at Zagreb because he is croatian.

Winks is an incredibly good player.. plus he is proper Spurs. Looking forward to watching him progress this year. One of the first names on Southgates team list by the summer.

Your right that there would be 12 teams in the prem who would like to sign him, but none of those clubs are top four sides. It's not hard to spot if someone of Winks age is good enough to reach the level required, but in my opinion he doesn't have the spark I would expect. He is a reasonable all rounder, but doesn't show a particular talent in any specific part of his game. Spurs fans are no different to any other clubs fans, they like to see players come through the youth and watch them achieve. I have witnessed our supporters hang on to their hopes by their finger nails in the belief eventually player X,Y, or Z will make it, but more often than not we sell them on and then admit afterwards they were never really good enough. Ryan Mason and Bentaleb were typical examples of this, and I remember many similar arguments with people about those players as we are having with Winks.

Back
Top Bottom