Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't really want to see him playing out wide ever again.

Rather see him there in your dream 3 than Dier. Nor do I want to see Winks (or Dembele) deployed as our deepest/most defensive MF either.

Started the season thinking:

DM: Wanyama / Dier
CM/B2B: Winks / Dembele / Sissoko

5 games worth of experiments later and I'm more convinced than ever.

Winks: Alongside a DM in a 4231/343 or one side of a DM in a 433.

Rather see him there in your dream 3 than Dier. Nor do I want to see Winks (or Dembele) deployed as our deepest/most defensive MF either.

Started the season thinking:

DM: Wanyama / Dier
CM/B2B: Winks / Dembele / Sissoko

5 games worth of experiments later and I'm more convinced than ever.

Winks: Alongside a DM in a 4231/343 or one side of a DM in a 433.

Agree. Out wide like a LM or RM would not be a good spot for Winks, but left or right side of a middle three would probably be ideal for him.

In a diamond, yes.

We didn't play 4231, 343 or 433 against Liverpool with Winks on the pitch.

Tbh, to me we just looked a mess. One thing apparent to me was Winks/Dembele/Dier were really flat; equating to more of a 4312 or even a flat 442 considering how deep and 'nowhere' Eriksen was through much of the game.

Not inclined to rewatch the match, but from the stands there was little evidence of the diamond shape.

Tbh, to me we just looked a mess. One thing apparent to me was Winks/Dembele/Dier were really flat; equating to more of a 4312 or even a flat 442 considering how deep and 'nowhere' Eriksen was through much of the game.

Not inclined to rewatch the match, but from the stands there was little evidence of the diamond shape.

It was a mess. Agreed.

It was a mess. Agreed.

Feels to me like changing formation is Poch's idea of a tactical change; yet they aren't one and the same.

I like the flexibility to change it up mid-game without subs being necessary, but our slow starts and absence of pressing and aggression aren't formation issues.

Seems like we're chopping and changing and sacrificing a little more of our identity with each change.

Wanna see more pressing, Kane as CF, more Dele/Harry combination and more consistency in the middle or the park (in terms of personnel AND roles)...

If, longer term, Poch is burning the players out then he must learn to rotate the attacking players more regularly or they'll ALL be fucked within a year or two more.

Fantastic dummy to take Hughes out the equation, quick feet and inch perfect pass to Dembele for the 2nd last night.
Improved second half.

Edit. In fact two of them. Sent them both right looking to close passing options with his right foot, opened the space to pass to Dembele and passes with his left.
Very quick brain and skilful. Gets better every view.

Last edited:
Very well played by Winks and Dembélé with an assist, last time that happened was in March 2017?

Yeah, against Southampton if memory serves me correctly. Passed it to Eriksen who rifled it into the bottom corner.

Dembele has been great when coming off the bench this season.

Yeah, against Southampton if memory serves me correctly. Passed it to Eriksen who rifled it into the bottom corner.

I liked the model last night.

Start with Dier or Wanyama alongside Winks and then bring on MD for one or the other depending on whether we need to tighten up or attack.

I liked the model last night.

Start with Dier or Wanyama alongside Winks and then bring on MD for one or the other depending on whether we need to tighten up or attack.

I said in the Dembele thread that it needs to be his role this season. Come off the bench and aim to change the game in that way. If we're struggling to keep hold of a ball or losing control of a game? Bring Dembele on.

I prefer him coming off the bench, either to shore up or alternatively to to push our front line if we need a goal. Not that he's a bad starter either! My fave player behind Kane.

I said in the Dembele thread that it needs to be his role this season. Come off the bench and aim to change the game in that way. If we're struggling to keep hold of a ball or losing control of a game? Bring Dembele on.

Having to sit him out for entire games doesn't feel like an option right now considering no-one of the other options are performang at a level which allows us to dominate the MF right now. So yeh, it does feel a wise option as it seems we need a little 'Dembele goodness' in every match right now...

Special weapon styleee, innit.

Back
Top Bottom