Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tbh i hope he's eased in a gently as possible.

Never mind this season... We've got plenty of bodies and no fixture congestion to deal with. There is a bigger picture for him at this club... Don't wanna do a Wiltshire on him(*). Get some sunshine, Winksy and be ready to feast on tired post WC players in August.

(*This is similarly my biggest concern should we indeed be rushing HK or others back.)

Given Dembele's career curve, next season could be crucial for HW (in terms of both his immediate development and our transfer activity) so let's reset our expectations and be resillient in our support of the young lad - He's bound to struggle given the amount of time he's been out vs his relative short amount of time as a senior.

TBF they didn't press him at all, different story in Prem. This is where he needs to develop IMO, lovely to watch when given the time.

I agree he needs to develop that, but that's where the squad game comes in handy - not every team in the Premier League aggressively presses us. A lot of teams sit back and we struggle to break through the lines. This is where having Winks is a fantastic option.

Don't think I'd want to see Winks again until pre-season/next season.

He was absolutely shocking in his last few appearances for us. Now it's likely because of his injury but it was embarrassing to watch at times. As if he won some sort of competition to be there.

I want him fully fit, stronger, confident and the best he can be next time he plays for us. The guy who played Liverpool off the park at Wembley. The guy who was instrumental in our results home and away against Real Madrid and the guy who was on the cusp of a World Cup place.

He could be the best England midfielder of his generation.

I agree he needs to develop that, but that's where the squad game comes in handy - not every team in the Premier League aggressively presses us. A lot of teams sit back and we struggle to break through the lines. This is where having Winks is a fantastic option.

Those matches often also include 2 banks of 4 (or more!) sat deep and a packed midfield where players like Charlie Adam or WBAs mob can eat him for breakfast.

He's struggled most against these kind of teams (early rounds of domestic cups etc.)... But physically he's big enough that hell be able to hold his own in the longer term.

I think as a player he'll thrive with space to pick a pass, but in time (hopefully) develope/refine the vision and 'eye of a needle' pass over time; to unlock his ability to boss a game like that.

Early days......

Don't think I'd want to see Winks again until pre-season/next season.

He was absolutely shocking in his last few appearances for us. Now it's likely because of his injury but it was embarrassing to watch at times. As if he won some sort of competition to be there.

I want him fully fit, stronger, confident and the best he can be next time he plays for us. The guy who played Liverpool off the park at Wembley. The guy who was instrumental in our results home and away against Real Madrid and the guy who was on the cusp of a World Cup place.

He could be the best England midfielder of his generation.
Agreed but I bet he still has faint hopes of going to the world cup. Needs to be fully fit for pre season in USA where he can stake a claim to start again when season starts.

Great news that Harry Winks is back in training.

Given how close we are to the end of the season, I doubt if he will start more than one game and/or get a couple of sub appearances at most. Even with England having few decent options in central midfield, I cannot see Southgate taking a player without a meaningful number of games after being out for so long to the World Cup.

So he should get the summer off and a decent pre-season to be ready for the start of the season - and stake his claim to a starting position as he'll be one of perhaps 6 or 8 senior players at the first game of the International Champions Cup in the USA (most of other players will still be on their hols after the World Cup).

So if Dembele is off to China as rumoured at least we will have one CM at the start of next season who is familiar with Spurs/Poch style of play too.

Poch just confirmed in his press conference today that Winks will almost certainly not get a game this season (posted the video of PC in Poch thread)

Very wise of Poch

Love Harry and he could be a main man for us next season

think we have learned our lesson about bringing a player back too early. Save him for next year, as we will probably need a replacement for the Moose.

Id like to see a more experienced replacement for Moose, but am also very glad to hear Winks is on the mend. We need a box to box player, a carrier... Winks is more of a deep lying player with a wide range of passing and theres certainly a spot for him in the right game with the right players around him

Coming back, I want to see him utilise his longer passing range too; sometimes he seems to keep it too simple.

Genuinely feel he can boss games at the very top level once he matures. Hopefully we’ll see him fit and happy in the preseason, because his injury plight at a time where he was finally being acknowledged as a proper player is tragic.

He’s looked better than the false dawns before him (Holtby, Mason, Benteleb, etc.) who had their moments of “tottenham’s next great midfielder”, but next 2 seasons are likely crucial.

More than anyone else, I feel like Winks is caught squarely in the trap of our expanding ambitions. Dembele is a twice, maybe thrice, a monthplayer now and probably the player most in need of a top level understudy in the current squad. For us to realistically challenge for major honours Winks has to be that player or we have to make the investment to bring that player in - which would limit Winks’ opportunities and development.

I hope that we give him the opportunity to fill that role and he steps up to the plate. He’s got it in him to do so, just needs to find his form consistently and stay healthy. Massive summer for the lad, time to strengthen and reach his ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom