Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think there's a player that works harder or is more committed to Spurs, but I don't think it's unreasonable to question his fundamental quality.

His passing is questionable and he makes up for defensive inadequacies by sheer determination. Don't think he can manage things in a midfield two.

But I like him and he had a great game today.

He kind of reminds me of Scotty Parker. I think if he continues to develop defensively he could be the DM we need. Gets the ball back and recycled it to Gio to start moves.

Last edited:
I thought with LoCelso playing noticeably deeper this allowed Winks a bit more freedom, his numbers were no different from every other game and that's in a game where we had a lot less possession than normal. He just looks half a yard quicker and a lot more confident, long may it continue. One of my favourite players can't see why so many don't rate the lad. LoCelso, Bergwijn, Dele none of them could match his input today, maybe not a thrill a minute but fast becoming our Mr. Reliable.

I don't rate him as a DM, today he had a good game but it was a different game to his normal play (maybe it was city's press) he wasn't getting the ball off the back 4 they were trying to clear the ball over the top of their forwards & midfield

Man Winksy loves playing in big games doesn’t he, always one of the best on the pitch in these sorts of fixtures. Think it’s a lot to with his composure on the ball.

Winks-Lo Celso is a very un Mourinho midfield but I’m a fan on it, still think we could use a proper DM in the off season but it’s good for now and both will be important players even if we sign another midfielder too

Great yesterday.

We are so focused on his work with the ball that we ignore the absolute ton of work he does off it. A pundit up here described it as Poch comparing his skills on the ball to Iniesta so much that we forgot to look at his defensive work all together.

With the lack of a proper DM he is the best that we have, and I think that he can grow into the role even more. Games like yesterday where he can drop back deep and slot into the backline are his best, whereas against teams were we are expected to control the game he gets lost in the shuffle.

He may never be Iniesta, but I think Jose can turn him into an acceptable Kanté replacement if Winks is willing to put in the work.

Until we get this proper DM, Winks and Lo Celso as the double pivot could work. Two busy, technical ball players who can pick a pass. Play Ndombele ahead of them to thread passes through like he did when he came on and then a front free of Stevie, Son and Lucas.

I struggle to see where Alli fits in when everyone is fit and available.

I never understood the hate he gets. Sure he may have poor games but so does everyone, I for one am loving his passion and what it means for him to play for our club. I think our fans should appreciate this kind of player more than they do currently.

Lol people be people .. if we lost he would been the weak link but we won so winks is maklala again .
He did some good things and he change the game for us by that run at zinchanco but he's not good enough at dm and we where week as week can be at midfield .
BTW love the guy and he's spurs all the way

Being a bit more adventurous would do him no harm. Too often he plays far too safe. Also when he looks to receive the ball from the defence, he does it facing his own goal, he should be on the half turn.

But he looked good yesterday and his break for the Zinchenko red card was excellent. Just needs to keep it up and be available for the ball out of defence a lot more readily.

I never understood the hate he gets. Sure he may have poor games but so does everyone, I for one am loving his passion and what it means for him to play for our club. I think our fans should appreciate this kind of player more than they do currently.

A lot of the players that trigger the boo boys have either left (Trips, KWP) or are injured (Davies) so Wnks is now the a new target, along with Dier

Back
Top Bottom