Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

it’s about moving the ball quickly so that the defense is stretched and attackers are getting the ball in space. It’s also about pressing hard and winning the ball early so that we can create those transition opportunities that are more dangerous (Winks still hasn’t had an interception all season). We just knocked safe passes around the midfield for ages, and that’s on Winks and Sissoko. If we had tried ambitious passes, we would have had less possession, but we would have created more chances and had more opportunities to press and win the ball in dangerous areas.

Salah and Mane aren’t super creative. They just have a high-energy midfield that presses like crazy and feeds them super quickly, so they have a chance to run against unsettled defenses, even when they’re playing a parked bus. If you let Sonny and Lucas run against backpedaling defenders, they’re going to get some assists, too.

I'm starting to feel winks is obsolete against most of our opposition this season
He is too Conservative for progressive passing and too weak to be a defensive midfielder. He just fools spectators into thinking he’s making things tick when the ball could easily just travel through and past him to the next player and nothing about the move would change.

I’ve completely flipped on my opinion of him in the last couple months and it makes me sad.

Last season he was taking more risks and braver when taking people on. What's happened?

You could say that about the whole team today. Nobody was interested in taking a shot. Just safe easy passes which didn't threaten anything.

As to why this was the case, I have no idea. Could be tactics. Could be playing it safe so they didn't make a mistake and get pounced on by the media/fans/competitor for a place.

Either way it was boring.

Or there was very little intelligent movement or creativity going on around him either, until Eriksen and Lo Celso came on.

I'm looking beyond just today's game.

Tbh, I have more questions than answers atm.

I just despair at the idea it's gonna take till xmas to get our new MF up and running; it's meant to unlock our attacking players yet it seems we're in danger of them (the AMs) becoming the excuse and thus shifting the blame from one dept. to the next.... Meanwhile were defending like strangers too.

Despite proper rest and some new faces, the funk from last season has carried over into this.

I get that Winks isn’t Modric or Pirlo, and he isn’t Kante either. In my ideal team he’s probably on the bench too, I see more potential to be something special in Skipp.

But I think some of criticism of him is way over the top. All this only passes sideways bollocks - he passed it forwards 74 times today, that’s possibly some kind record, it’s certainly more than I’ve seen from a Spurs player (not inc defenders) in recent memory. Sissoko is a much, much bigger problem - 34 forward passes - 36 fucking backwards. Shit scared of the ball and does absolutely nothing intelligent as a midfielder and his defending for the goal was scandalous.

Winks may be a bit risk averse and lack a killer ball, and as I said, in the near future he may become moribund, but he got through a fuck ton more than Sissoko did, passed it with more alacrity, spread it about better and quicker and more vertically than anyone else on that pitch by a fucking mile.

And people talking about interceptions, what was there to intercept? We had 80% of the ball?

And let’s remember this was a side devoid of its most creative midfield players, Eriksen, Alli, Ndombele, Lo Celso.

We played a 4231 to get four attackers on the pitch but those front four also created absolutely fuck all, for themselves or each other.

Winks has some limitations but fuck me, there’s bigger issues than him. Lamela can’t control a ball, Son is capable of brilliant moments and hours of fucking meh, Moura zips around like a headless chicken, Rose is shit at both ends, and we have a manager who thinks Sissoko is a midfielder.

I'm looking beyond just today's game.

Tbh, I have more questions than answers atm.

I just despair at the idea it's gonna take till xmas to get our new MF up and running; it's meant to unlock our attacking players yet it seems we're in danger of them (the AMs) becoming the excuse and thus shifting the blame from one dept. to the next.... Meanwhile were defending like strangers too.

Despite proper rest and some new faces, the funk from last season has carried over into this.

See above. I don’t think Winks will ever be Modric, but we’ve got bigger problems than him only passing the ball forwards 70 odd times.

And one of those problems is a coach who is making - or exasperating- some those problems.

But hes our Busquets and Modric blah blah. He's not our Busquets and we arent Barcelona. A below average immitation of something good is still below average.

From Dembele/Dier and Dembele/Wanyama to Winks/Sissoko. Yikes.

it’s about moving the ball quickly so that the defense is stretched and attackers are getting the ball in space. It’s also about pressing hard and winning the ball early so that we can create those transition opportunities that are more dangerous (Winks still hasn’t had an interception all season). We just knocked safe passes around the midfield for ages, and that’s on Winks and Sissoko. If we had tried ambitious passes, we would have had less possession, but we would have created more chances and had more opportunities to press and win the ball in dangerous areas.

Salah and Mane aren’t super creative. They just have a high-energy midfield that presses like crazy and feeds them super quickly, so they have a chance to run against unsettled defenses, even when they’re playing a parked bus. If you let Sonny and Lucas run against backpedaling defenders, they’re going to get some assists, too.

I'm starting to feel winks is obsolete against most of our opposition this season
He is too Conservative for progressive passing and too weak to be a defensive midfielder. He just fools spectators into thinking he’s making things tick when the ball could easily just travel through and past him to the next player and nothing about the move would change.

I’ve completely flipped on my opinion of him in the last couple months and it makes me sad.

Agree with all of that top bit about our style of play and the comp to Pool. But I do think Winks will be integral to our pressing midfield. It’s just that we have not played that way for a couple years now. The press is all but gone.

In another thread someone said it’s Kanes fault for not leading the press. Watch pool and City and you will see it’s the whole team squeezing down. It’s an orchestrated attack. We haven’t seen that type of synchronization from our squad since Pochs first couple years here.

I feel thar win a couple seasons ago vs Pool, where we sat and counter attacked has convinced Poch that is how we should always play. We let teams come at us now. We seldom attack as a unit while the opposition is attempting to break out the back.

If we did so we would be creating far more chances vs an unsettled back line.

Winks hasn’t regressed IMO. This is on Poch for setting his team up to play conservatively.

To be fair, considering how attrocious Winks has been I'd rather take a punt on you at CM at this point.

d82648fb474706b9b7c05dfac5d75478.jpg

But hes our Busquets and Modric blah blah. He's not our Busquets and we arent Barcelona. A below average immitation of something good is still below average.

From Dembele/Dier and Dembele/Wanyama to Winks/Sissoko. Yikes.

Be fair.... That's not our first choice combo. We just spent 120m to fix our MF.

Back
Top Bottom