Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Needs to create a lot more, and needs to pass forwards more. I'm not writing him off just yet, but I can pass the ball 5 feet to my left to Sissoko and then 5 feet behind me to Toby all game with no pressure on me.

That's not controlling the game, that's easy.

Agreed that the club has tried to improve on the CM position. Not sure about 120m? I thought Lo celso is on loan.

Loan with a commitment to buy for circa 60m, so essentially he's ours.

My point was more so tho' that "From Dembele/Dier and Dembele/Wanyama to Winks/Sissoko" was a skewed comparison... Why not Winks/Ndombele if we're comparing strongest combos'? ...Or alternatively, vs Dier/Wanyama (which sucked) if we're comparing make-shift combos?

Dier and Ndombele in front of the back 4 = win, 1 player who can defend and 1 who can move the ball forward quickly. Winks as much as I love the fella cannot defend well enough and really only passes the ball safely ( 2 foot away, usually sideways) hence why his stats look great, 94% pass rate

Strange the grief Winks is getting for not playing defence splitting passes every 5 minutes, yet people loved Dembele and he barely played an incisive pass in five years, and took three pirouettes before passing it square most days. Maybe Winks just needs to hold onto the ball five times longer and triple check every pass for safety to be loved?

Seriously, I know the kids no Modric but it's been 7/8 years since he left and it's not like you've all been watching Iniesta split defences from midfield for the last 8 years is it.

People suggesting Dier ? Seriously? It's stupidity like putting blimps like him and Sissoko's into the midfield of a team that's supposed to be about playing football that's got us into the fucking stupor we are in.

I don't think Winks is wonderbread, but fuck me, at least he plays fucking football, and doesn't spend half the game hiding and pointing.

I'd much rather see Skipp given game time, at least he can play football. No more athletic rhinos ambling around where a midfield should be.

Last edited:
Ah cmon I'm just having a giggle.

Are you honestly that naive?

Likening him to Scum/Chav/Spam players is hardly prime comedy within a Spurs-centric environment...

...Should we expect Terry & Wiltshire 'funnnies' in the near future too? :roll:

Strange the grief Winks is getting for not playing defence splitting passes every 5 minutes, yet people loved Dembele and he barely played an incisive pass in five years, and took three pirouettes before passing it square most days. Maybe Winks just needs to hold onto the ball five times longer and triple check every pass for safety to be loved?

Seriously, I know the kids no Modric but it's been 7/8 years since he left and it's not like you've all been watching Iniesta split defences from midfield for the last 8 years is it.

People suggesting Dier ? Seriously? It's stupidity like putting blimps like him and Sissoko's into the midfield of a team that's supposed to be about playing football that's got us into the fucking stupor we are in.

I don't think Winks is wonderbread, but fuck me, at least he plays fucking football, and doesn't spend half the game hiding and pointing.

I'd much rather see Skipp given game time, at least he can play football. No more athletic rhinos ambling around where a midfield should be.

Winks do not play defense as good as Dembelle did and he dose not break the line by dribble past player as Dembelle did .

winks recycle the ball but if we do not have a real play maker for winks to give the ball to we doomed . winks will just pass the safest ball and if by any chance he in a good situation he will just turn back and play safe for someone else hoping they will take the chance .

and if we play winks and sissoko we dont have room for risk takers in the line up , thats why in my opinion winks should not play vs weak opponent .

Loan with a commitment to buy for circa 60m, so essentially he's ours.

There is no commitment or obligation to buy. There is an option. Levy took the easy/cheap option. Made if look like he was backing the manager when he took a small, calculated risk.

Next Iniesta?

More like Mark Noble with a trim.

Noble actually takes risks.

Winks has been terrible in his 3 matches and has directly contributed to the worst football I've seen us play in years.

We immediately improved when he went off Vs Villa. Eriksen being on helped, but there was no such change Vs Newcastle when Winks somehow kept his spot.

He slows us down, almost single handedly prevents any quick break aways and does absolutely nothing other than rack up a high pass count.

There is no commitment or obligation to buy. There is an option. Levy took the easy/cheap option. Made if look like he was backing the manager when he took a small, calculated risk.

Maybe I've read a conflicting tweet or article to you - Defo read that a price had been agreed for next summer (which was notably less that the circa 80m pricetag Betis were clinging to) - but there's really no need to be that cynical about the motive... As long we get a good deal for the club who cares.

The option to buy is the important bare minimum part (hense no Ceballos deal and rightfully so); yet if GLC does bomb; according to you we get to hand him back... Win/win.

Noble actually takes risks.

Winks has been terrible in his 3 matches and has directly contributed to the worst football I've seen us play in years.

We immediately improved when he went off Vs Villa. Eriksen being on helped, but there was no such change Vs Newcastle when Winks somehow kept his spot.

He slows us down, almost single handedly prevents any quick break aways and does absolutely nothing other than rack up a high pass count.

Winks hasn't been the issue mate, it's the lack of Eriksen in the starting XI 2 of the 3 games where we expect to have more possession that's done us.

Dembele transitioned defence to attack with a drop of a shoulder and we missed that up until Ndombele arrived and Eriksen linked all of our attacking prowess together.

Against Man City we were poor but make no mistake the reason why we have struggled is so far, 3 games in we've had to make do without Vertonghen, Sessegnon, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Aurier, Foyth, Son, Dele & Eriksen at least once.

Some could argue that by the end of last season Walker-Peters had dropped down to fourth in the pecking order for RB with Foyth being used a little so not only do we have a lack of options available to us consistently (our only players that have been fit for each game so far that have started are Lloris, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Rose, Winks, Sissoko, Lucas, Lamela & Kane. To the naked eye that looks flimsy but the positives are it won't be that way for long as Vertonghen, Sessegnon, Foyth, Aurier, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Eriksen, Dele & Son will be in and around the team before you know it (unless Eriksen leaves of course).

It's been a rough start but we've had half of our first team ripped out before the season has even started. Got to be patient and hope that when things get settled the lads remember what they are capable of.

Back
Top Bottom