Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Perhaps, yes. But I find the whole ‘world class’ thing a modern phenomenon. It’s a tedious, clichéd phrase. According to the author, Pele wasn’t world class..
Beyond decimating South America for club and country and winning world cups in Europe and south America?
I'd say those two facts fit the metric

Beyond decimating South America for club and country and winning world cups in Europe and south America?
I'd say those two facts fit the metric
Yes, I know but not according to the author’s criterion. He says Europe is the place to be judged, and Kane is clearly one of the best strikers in Europe. ‘World class’ is a silly phrase - not least because no one can define it accurately. Do you think Klopp is a ‘world class’ manager? It’s just daft.

Yes, I know but not according to the author’s criterion. He says Europe is the place to be judged, and Kane is clearly one of the best strikers in Europe. ‘World class’ is a silly phrase - not least because no one can define it accurately. Do you think Klopp is a ‘world class’ manager? It’s just daft.
I'd like to think that we can all see that it's a yardstick, not the only yardstick.
Ie club success at the highest club level achievable and international success at continental and global level

It's a discussion piece based around the opinion of a guy who was a pretty decent international and club player. The same guy who has turned out to be a pretty fair analyst and presenter.

Both of which are your opinion :)
I think he was trash as a player and is worse as an analyst.

His opinions are heard by thousands and respected by a significant portion of that number.

Which makes his opinions more valid?
How many of them thousands are Liverpool supporters?

To me it wasn't a condemnation, just an opinion.

The "world class" argument is a nonsense anyway. Similar to the "big" club argument.
Both are subjective and the media will move the goal posts when it suits them.
It is usually just thrown around when they've got nothing left to say about a player as it's impossible to prove/disprove.
In Kanes case it is being used in a negative light.

"Kanes a one-season wonder" - Nope
"Well hes a only a 2-season wonder" - Nope
"Well he only scores tap ins" - Nope
"Well he only scores tap ins and worldies but can't score with his head" - Nope
"Well he's not world class"

The only thing I give Carragher credit for is that he at least defined what he thought "world class" was before telling us his opinion.
We all know that if Kane was a Liverpool player (sorry for that thought :() that the article would read quite differently.

Both of which are your opinion :)
I think he was trash as a player and is worse as an analyst.

Which makes his opinions more valid?
How many of them thousands are Liverpool supporters?

The "world class" argument is a nonsense anyway. Similar to the "big" club argument.
Both are subjective and the media will move the goal posts when it suits them.
It is usually just thrown around when they've got nothing left to say about a player as it's impossible to prove/disprove.
In Kanes case it is being used in a negative light.

"Kanes a one-season wonder" - Nope
"Well hes a only a 2-season wonder" - Nope
"Well he only scores tap ins" - Nope
"Well he only scores tap ins and worldies but can't score with his head" - Nope
"Well he's not world class"

The only thing I give Carragher credit for is that he at least defined what he thought "world class" was before telling us his opinion.
We all know that if Kane was a Liverpool player (sorry for that thought :() that the article would read quite differently.
He didn't make any of those comments in the article yet you are condemning it because of them, how does that work?

World class is a fairly straightforward concept. If you have techniques and skills that are undiminished in any league across the planet and set you amongst the the best of them, then you are world class.

Carragher's analysis would be easier to digest if it wasn't delivered in a high pitched whiny Scouse accent.
Him Neville (G), Keown, Dixon, Souness and Jenas are all listenable ex pros who do a good digest of what happened
The only problem being that the analysis seems to go on longer than the games.

Last edited:
None of what you said was articulated or implied in the piece.

It wasn't implied?

Do you not see that the 20th best German, Spanish, French or Brazilian player of his generation is more likely to win a world cup than the best Portugese, Swedish, Welsh, Danish, Polish or even English player to have ever played is?

Ronaldo, Messi, Zlatan, Bale, Eriksen, Lewandowski and Kane has 0 world cup gold medals combined. But quite a lot of players who are nowhere near their level have winner medals.

To win CL, your best bet is simply to join a CL-winning club. If you can join Barca, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, your odds are quite good. Obviously you'd have to be good to get a spot there, but I'd say that at least ten of our players are good enough that they could get some game time for said clubs. The two players we have sold to RM quickly became key players for them.

Would our players become better footballers simply by joining said clubs? Nope. But they'd get a lot closer to being recognized as world class by Carraghers's moronic definition.

Paulinho plays for Barca and Brazil. He may have a winner's medal from both the WC and the CL next summer. Better than Kane? World class?

It wasn't implied?

Do you not see that the 20th best German, Spanish, French or Brazilian player of his generation is more likely to win a world cup than the best Portugese, Swedish, Welsh, Danish, Polish or even English player to have ever played is?

Ronaldo, Messi, Zlatan, Bale, Eriksen, Lewandowski and Kane has 0 world cup gold medals combined. But quite a lot of players who are nowhere near their level have winner medals.

To win CL, your best bet is simply to join a CL-winning club. If you can join Barca, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, your odds are quite good. Obviously you'd have to be good to get a spot there, but I'd say that at least ten of our players are good enough that they could get some game time for said clubs. The two players we have sold to RM quickly became key players for them.

Would our players become better footballers simply by joining said clubs? Nope. But they'd get a lot closer to being recognized as world class by Carraghers's moronic definition.

Paulinho plays for Barca and Brazil. He may have a winner's medal from both the WC and the CL next summer. Better than Kane? World class?
I'll bet you post a lot in the media bias thread
:)

As per the nonsense FIFA Awards, list of 24 best of 2017, Kane whilst coming last still suggests he is recognised in the world.

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...-tbffa_award_rankingpresslist2017_neutral.pdf

World class is such a subjective definition. Kane has proven the doubters wrong at every opportunity. I don’t care if he is world class or not, so long as he keeps doing what he is doing for us. He is so very excellent and I am glad he is our very own elite striker, he would cost any other club hundreds of millions to get a player of his quality.

As per the nonsense FIFA Awards, list of 24 best of 2017, Kane whilst coming last still suggests he is recognised in the world.

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...-tbffa_award_rankingpresslist2017_neutral.pdf

World class is such a subjective definition. Kane has proven the doubters wrong at every opportunity. I don’t care if he is world class or not, so long as he keeps doing what he is doing for us. He is so very excellent and I am glad he is our very own elite striker, he would cost any other club hundreds of millions to get a player of his quality.

He'll rise and it'll be even more satisfying. I think both he and Poch came last in their fields.

Lets see where they are next year and who's laughing then.

He'll rise and it'll be even more satisfying. I think both he and Poch came last in their fields.

Lets see where they are next year and who's laughing then.

As I said I thought the awards were nonsense. However the fact both Kane and Pochettino made their respective lists just goes to show how far we have come and that people are recognising what is going on at our club.

Of course it's nonsense. 14th for forwards is laughable. Won the last two Golden Boots yet is behind 3 from the Premier League. Smoking crack at FIFA.

DM32IwzW4AAlSAq.jpg:large

Shows how far we've come under Poch - barely 3 years ago we had a weasel cunt in a gillet sitting in the stands during a game and playing on his phone

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom