Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you rather spend more money on N'Koudu's. Or buy a few up and coming hopefuls we can make a future profit on.

Or, as a Spurs fan, a football fan, would your fanny not moisten more at the prospect of seeing a proven winner, a superstar, like Gareth Bale grace our team.

Do you actually want to see our club win titles

I dont want to see us spend huge money on an injury prone player...

A very real factor that - in textbook spirit - you're only too happy to gloss over.... Hense "ignorant".

Except we can't afford him!

As they're backed by a country, City could have a frontline composed of Aguero, Kane, Salah, Hazard, Rashford. But they'd lose every week.

Building a team is not just about lumping players together. They have to fit into the manager's system and understand how each other play and not tread on each other's toes.

We had this when Ossie was manager and thought that playing five or six attacking players would bring success. It didn't.

Bale - no thanks.

John chooses to ignore such details... For him "not my money" means there is no consequence to the club if they overspend.

I dont want to see us spend huge money on an injury prone player...

A very real factor that - in textbook spirit - you're only too happy to gloss over.... Hense "ignorant".

If the club can afford it then it’s fine? It’s not your money at the end of the day. But again as I’ve said previously it won’t hapoen anyway.

John chooses to ignore such details... For him "not my money" means there is no consequence to the club if they overspend.
Considering we're the only club ever to self impose their own transfer embargo I'd say there's little chance of that.
You'll be telling me Deloitte are all fucked up and got their maths wrong too I suppose.

One of two things would happen:
He would disrupt the equilibrium.
Or he would bring an experienced head into the dressing room as well as onto the pitch.
I think it would be the latter. If the finances are there, do it.

Would you rather spend more money on N'Koudu's. Or buy a few up and coming hopefuls we can make a future profit on.

Or, as a Spurs fan, a football fan, would your fanny not moisten more at the prospect of seeing a proven winner, a superstar, like Gareth Bale grace our team.

200.gif

RM have got themselves in this situation, he is one of the highest paid players on the planet with only one or two clubs having the funds to pay him, of which none of them really want him. Rm might have to either:

Let him leave for peanuts

Or

Subsidise his salary

It’s the only way he is leaving as his resale value with be nothing after this move. It then becomes more interesting. Low transfer fee, a £20m signing on bonus but low wage.

If he runs his contact down at rm it will cost them £70m. They will have to subside his move

Regarding subsidising his salary - did Madrid do this when VDV signed for us?

If I remember correctly they did. It's clearly been done before and can save the parent club huge sums. Levy has done this before and I expect he would do it again.

If we're to believe the stories on RM allowing their fans to vote for which players they want to remain are true what will the president do if Bale isn't on that list? What will Bale feel if he isn't on that list?

- Will Bale be more suited to a slower higher paying league like Ronaldo?
- Does he want to maximise his earnings or has he earned enough?
- Will he relish the challenge of maybe getting us over the line in a shiny new stadium?

There's no doubt the lad has the ability to change the game. His fitness needs to be managed and his ego (not sure how big it really is). Loved watching him in a Spurs shirt, some of those runs were breathtaking, like a couple of the Berbatov goals. I believe he would give the fans and players a lift, we still need younger prospects but it's about having a balance and quality options from the bench.

If we're to believe the stories on RM allowing their fans to vote for which players they want to remain are true what will the president do if Bale isn't on that list? What will Bale feel if he isn't on that list?

Madrid dont allow fans to vote on any team matters, you're confusing the club with Marca, the sports paper based in the city. I know people in the UK think they're one and the same, but they aren't, at any real level. Marca has good relations with RM, especially its press office, but then again it does with Atleti (the other sports paper in Madrid, As, is equally well connected with both teams too). It isn't the club's mouthpiece or fanzine, despite what people think.

Perhaps what people are thinking about re the vote is a poll Marca ran on Wednesday. At first it was just about the new manager (Klopp tied with Zidane on 32%, then came Mourinho on 18% then POchettino on 15%), then they extended it with polls on who was to blame (Florentino won that one comfortably) and who should stay/go.

Gibbon Head won the latter comfortably, 90% of those voting wanted him out. Cant find the poll results now, I think Marcelo was 2nd or 3rd on the list. I remember Isco was one of the lowest on the Stay side, 55%.

As with the British press, esp the tabloids, what these polls do is generate noise, which the club often responds to. Interesting to see that the Klopp noise has started for example...

Alvaro Benito: The ideal coach for Real Madrid is Klopp

Madrid dont allow fans to vote on any team matters, you're confusing the club with Marca, the sports paper based in the city. I know people in the UK think they're one and the same, but they aren't, at any real level. Marca has good relations with RM, especially its press office, but then again it does with Atleti (the other sports paper in Madrid, As, is equally well connected with both teams too). It isn't the club's mouthpiece or fanzine, despite what people think.

Perhaps what people are thinking about re the vote is a poll Marca ran on Wednesday. At first it was just about the new manager (Klopp tied with Zidane on 32%, then came Mourinho on 18% then POchettino on 15%), then they extended it with polls on who was to blame (Florentino won that one comfortably) and who should stay/go.

Gibbon Head won the latter comfortably, 90% of those voting wanted him out. Cant find the poll results now, I think Marcelo was 2nd or 3rd on the list. I remember Isco was one of the lowest on the Stay side, 55%.

As with the British press, esp the tabloids, what these polls do is generate noise, which the club often responds to. Interesting to see that the Klopp noise has started for example...

Alvaro Benito: The ideal coach for Real Madrid is Klopp

Ah ok that makes sense, interesting that the noise from the fans trickles down to the club.

Bale is an amazing player on his day, but he’s moved on from being really hungry to prove himself, to believing - possibly rightly - that he’s one of the best attackers in Europe. I simply don’t feel that where he’s at now fits with where we’re at. We need young, hungry talent or people who are proud to wear the shirt. He’s neither. He’s too expensive, he’s past his peak, and when you look at how players like Owen and Rooney decline rapidly once they’re in a similar place, I just don’t think it’s worth the risk.

He really has.
4 years would take us back to the last Euros, where he took Wales to the semi-final, and pretty much all his time at Madrid, where he has won everything you can win in European football (and he has done that 3 or 4 times).

Fair enough about the Wales run but I don’t hold his time at Madrid as much weight as others.

His injury spells just outweigh any chance of contribution to our team imo.

Or Berahino's?
Or Austin's?
Or Fellaini's?

Do you actually want to see Spurs win trophies?

If it were my decision then I'd probably not go for him because of the injury problems and worries that he wouldn't be the player for us that he was before he left; BUT if we did sign him then I'm pretty sure I'd get stupidly excited at the prospect that he might be able to stay fit and that he could be as good as he was before

Back
Top Bottom