FOR FLIPS SAKE, WE'VE SIGNED VERTONGHEN!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Apparently we may or may not have signed Vertonghen

Negotiations hit a snag? SEND IN HARRY ELLIS!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cBsdgJcT28[/youtube]

He negotiates million dollar deals for breakfast. Reckons he can deal with that Eurotrash. :levystare:

Yan Ver-Tong-Un As far as i've heard commentators anyway. Unless you wanna get all dutch commentary about it and in which case its Yan Vir-Tong-uh <insert shmoking too mucsh joke here>

VirginiaSpur said:
durbanspur said:
Am I wrong/alone in assuming vertonghen is worth the asking price and DL should just pay up?
He probably is worth it, but since when does that overrule the absolute importance of negotiation?

If we just forked over the asking price every time we were in for a player, the club would be up to its eyeballs in debt. If you tack on a million pound premium to every trade in order to wrap it up, you'll find out that those fees build up very quickly.

Moreover, it sets a bad precedent. If we just paid the asking price every time we were in for a player, or started paying 2 million pounds extra willy nilly, you'll find that will only result in clubs asking even more from us in transfers. See: Chelsea FC and Manchester City FC.

I feel like I'm repeating this ad nauseam, but I'll say it again. Levy is a natural businessman. He's very good at hardball negotiation, so let the man do his fucking job!

And now the latest report from Goal.com says that Ajax's asking price is 13 mil. All previous reports have been that the difference was less than 2 million pounds, with Spurs offering between 7 and 8 million, and Ajax demanding 9! Take Goal.com with a very tiny grain of salt, but 5 fucking million pounds is more than just a rounding error to snag a great player, in my opinion.
i have no problems with the negotiating this is business after all. and im not saying we should just pay the asking price of every player ala man city, but i fail to see why all players buys need to be negotiated. to me this doesnt need to be negotiated. its a very fair price for a decent player in a position we need and he wants to come champs league or not.why waste time negotiating when its a cut and dry sale. oh right i forgot we waiting for the cunts to pay what ajax want and snatch him out of our hands, while we squibble about small change in the greater scheme of things.

durbanspur said:
i have no problems with the negotiating this is business after all. and im not saying we should just pay the asking price of every player ala man city, but i fail to see why all players buys need to be negotiated. to me this doesnt need to be negotiated. its a very fair price for a decent player in a position we need and he wants to come champs league or not.why waste time negotiating when its a cut and dry sale. oh right i forgot we waiting for the cunts to pay what ajax want and snatch him out of our hands, while we squibble about small change in the greater scheme of things.

Our yearly turnover is circa £100m - 2% of our turnover isn't really small change

Blanchflower said:
Our yearly turnover is circa £100m - 2% of our turnover isn't really small change
from a purely business point of view, put like that sure, but the potential income from investment made by obtaining better players vastly outways the need to heckle for a better price on an already great buy. vertonghen is not a bently. he has a proven track record and is not carrying a "potential great" pricetag. if ajax were asking £18mill then by all means fucking negotiate the shit out of that deal. but they arent. so lets get it signed sealed and delivered. the flip side to the coin is we dont make these buys, our top players choose to leave because of it, (or sulk and play like shit because levy wont let them go). so we might gain a few million through player sales but we lose out on the millions of £ of revenue that would be generated through the champions league by finishing in the top 4 again. i (just to reiterate I) feel that the stance taken by DL on this particular buy is a bit stubborn and silly. when bayern win on sat and Levy and co go after remy then by all means heckle the fuck out of that price because remy isnt worth £20mill. maybe £12 - £ -16 mill max.

The reason his transfer fee is low is because he is entering the final year of his contract......ergo he and his agent will be expecting the lionshare of the saving we are making on the fee

and you have no way of knowing for sure if a player will be a success, we didn't sign Bentley thinking he'd be crap

durbanspur said:
Blanchflower said:
from a purely business point of view, put like that sure, but the potential income from investment made by obtaining better players vastly outways the need to heckle for a better price on an already great buy. vertonghen is not a bently. he has a proven track record and is not carrying a "potential great" pricetag. if ajax were asking £18mill then by all means fucking negotiate the shit out of that deal. but they arent. so lets get it signed sealed and delivered. the flip side to the coin is we dont make these buys, our top players choose to leave because of it, (or sulk and play like shit because levy wont let them go). so we might gain a few million through player sales but we lose out on the millions of £ of revenue that would be generated through the champions league by finishing in the top 4 again. i (just to reiterate I) feel that the stance taken by DL on this particular buy is a bit stubborn and silly. when bayern win on sat and Levy and co go after remy then by all means heckle the fuck out of that price because remy isnt worth £20mill. maybe £12 - £ -16 mill max.
No offense, but you really do talk some shit at times.

Aleksic said:
Blanchflower said:
... we didn't sign Bentley thinking he'd be crap
but some of us had our suspicions... :kaboul:
the problem wasnt that we signed bentley but rather that we paid such an inflated price for him(very unspurs like in general).
every player we have ever bought has had a calculated risk involved. some more risk and some less but seriously vertonghen is a good buy at the ajax asking price, (even if he flops - which is highly unlikely). we paid a similar amount for various reason for these players...
crouch - +- £9mill
corluka - +- £8-9mill
bassong - +- £9mill
hutton - +- £9mill
in comparison, with some calculated risk, we pay the extra £2mill ajax want, vertonghen is a steal.

durbanspur said:
vertonghen is a steal.
You don't know his wages.

That might also explain why Levy is interested in keeping the transfer fee minimal.

As for the players you mention, Crouch was one year into his Portsmouth deal when he came (back). Ćorluka came one year into a six-year deal at City. Bassong came one year into his deal at Newcastle. Finally, Hutton signed a five-year deal with Rangers and was a Spur six months later.

Vertonghen is one year from a free. That depresses the price.

Also, £9m + £2m ≠ £13m

durbanspur said:
the problem wasnt that we signed bentley but rather that we paid such an inflated price for him
I would disagree with that. I could never see why we bought him at all. He had one decent season at Blackburn but had a record of blowing his chances elsewhere. We should have been spending that money elsewhere.

He was Beckham-lite. And I don't rate beckham that highly. :harrysmile:

Éperons said:
durbanspur said:
vertonghen is a steal.
You don't know his wages.

That might also explain why Levy is interested in keeping the transfer fee minimal.

As for the players you mention, Crouch was one year into his Portsmouth deal when he came (back). Ćorluka came one year into a six-year deal at City. Bassong came one year into his deal at Newcastle. Finally, Hutton signed a five-year deal with Rangers and was a Spur six months later.

Vertonghen is one year from a free. That depresses the price.

Also, £9m + £2m ≠ £13m

what kind of wages do you think he is on, compared to what we would probably offer him?
and regarding wages how do you think spurs evaluate them in general? if based on normal business plan type standard setup, the longer you are "working" at a place/company the more you earn. (obviously there would be influencing factors for the players) so do you think spurs will kinda pay an equal wage say for example to the 1st choice back 4 (next season) BAE, Kaboul, Vertonghen, walker? or how would you assume something like that gets paid? id assume vertonghen paid most. followed by kaboul, then BAE, then walker. would that be a fair assumption? and if so, doesnt that seem a bit unfair to the other players.

i heard you guys mention about vertonghen on the podcast re whether he is any good, let me tell you i've seen a couple of matches he's played now and he is the dogs rear swingers.

properly good, i pray we sign him, he and kaboul will be the sex.

Unconfirmed ITK talk is now saying it is £10.5M deal and £60k p/w... which if he is as good as people say seems like an absolute steal to me

Also I realised I used the phrase 'unconfirmed reports' which ergo, makes me a twat

Back
Top Bottom