FOR FLIPS SAKE, WE'VE SIGNED VERTONGHEN!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Apparently we may or may not have signed Vertonghen

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... n-but-deal

"Ajax value their captain at £13m and have so far refused to compromise on the fee, with Tottenham currently offering £8.1m, which they believe is good value for a player who has just one year remaining on his contract."

I'm getting so sick of Levy wrangling over a couple of million here & there - just sign him up FFS!

:levystare:

Ksaw92 said:
I'm getting so sick of Levy wrangling over a couple of million here & there - just sign him up FFS!

:levystare:
That's not really how negotiations work, though, or how one cultivates an air of being a tough negotiator. Vertonghen is an appealing buy, but he's not once-in-a-lifetime. He's not the piece that will make us nip Woolwich to the quadruple. He's a very good player who hasn't played in England and is at a depressed price because of his impending contract status. His yapping about wanting to play for no one other than Spurs further depresses his value, since should Roma come in, they risk getting a moody player who will be angling for a move to London in six months (and every subsequent six months).

I have no clue what Vertonghen is worth, as that's not my job. But consider the difference in prices: £13m is 160% of £8.1m. If you're looking at a car, would you just swallow such a markup to get the deal done (FFS!)? More likely they'll agree around £10m, and both sides will be a little unhappy.

"A couple of million here & there" adds up, and, what's more, it makes Levy look weak. This may not be a big deal when it comes to incoming players, but it means that clubs will be more certain that they can lowball him when it comes to outgoing, and that's not good. Levy's built a reputation of being tough on fees (which is why Gio is still with us, etc.), and, sink or swim, that's the ship he's built.

Not a fan of people just saying pay the extra million, getting the best price for us is what makes him a good business minded chairman.

we have managed to build quite a spectacular squad who are a joy to watch, without risking our finances, even if that does involve missing out on a player here or there, or frustrating us leaving deals to the last min

double post, but someone on another forum has said that we could have already saved £.5M due the exchange rate vs the € getting better since March - when it is believed we started really talking money with Ajax

see the Transfer Discussion thread

Sibs said:
double post, but someone on another forum has said that we could have already saved £.5M due the exchange rate vs the € getting better since March - when it is believed we started really talking money with Ajax

in which case selling bale or modric abroad (as both have been touted) would be 2-4 million worse off for each,

dmarchantthfc said:
Sibs said:

in which case selling bale or modric abroad (as both have been touted) would be 2-4 million worse off for each,

Which is probably why they'll both end up in Manchester!!!

dmarchantthfc said:
Sibs said:

Is that how it works, though? I imagine Levy has been talking to Ajax for a while, and there's been some sense of a price. But that fixed price (Ajax's £13m valuation) has changed over the time of the negotiation because of Forex fluctuation.

If someone came in today and offered n€ for a player, surely the fact that the exchange rate was different six months ago would not matter?

I am really hoping for once we get our transfers done early.

I know its easy to say but I really think it would help us big time to have a group of players together for a pre season.

Hudd and JJ are coming back too...

Apparently we may or may not have signed Vertonghen

My pound goes a fraction further than it did 6 months ago. So I get more beer. If a price was agreed in euros a whole back then we are fractionally better off.

This is all theoretical as like you say the price may be agreed in £s or take in to account exchange rate at the time of the deal.

I just mean that it doesn't seem like one can talk about "saved" money in negotiations on prices that have not even occurred yet, which is why one can say it for Vertonghen, but not Modrić (assuming Levy's not talking to anyone in Europe about moving Luka).

Spurs won't (necessarily) "lose" money selling Modrić if the euro continues to tumble. But they will have a harder time finding a buyer willing to pay their price in Europe. Good thing we have him sewn up for a few more years, then.

Interesting to think that forex suggests that this should be a buying season for the PL from Europe (while selling very little).

But, of course, I actually don't know shit about money (else I'd have some).

And with most transfers the fee is paid in installments, so I don't know how the exchange rate would affect that.

Let's just leave that to the people sorting the deal out and hope that we get a decent player without having to pay over the odds for him.

Well, the forex thing is relative. About five years ago, it was €1.4 to £1. About a year ago, it dropped to 1.04 and now it's up to 1.2. Basically, it's better to buy from Europe now than it was a year ago, but less good than it was five years ago.

And the longer we wait this summer, the better it will be in terms of forex, but not for the blood pressure.

why has this signing not gone through yet? ajax fee is not unreasonable, in fact its still a fairly bargain price for a player in a position we need covering, just fork over the extra cash and stop fucking around. he was player of the fucking year, so has to be decent. he wants to come to us champions league or not? that statement alone is worth the extra 2 million. so please please please sign him already...

with the whole yid debate calling someone being frugal with money a jew might not be the best move for a tottenham forum, just my personal feeling

statement retracted... but to be fair there is a big difference between being frugal and what is being done now. i think its called stupidity.

Apparently we may or may not have signed Vertonghen

durbanspur said:
why has this signing not gone through yet? ajax fee is not unreasonable, in fact its still a fairly bargain price for a player in a position we need covering, just fork over the extra cash and stop fucking around. he was player of the fucking year, so has to be decent. he wants to come to us champions league or not? that statement alone is worth the extra 2 million. so please please please sign him already...
you're a touch special aren't you mate?

Thelonious said:
durbanspur said:
you're a touch special aren't you mate?
i prefer the term shit stirrer... but special will do.

Back
Top Bottom