FOR FLIPS SAKE, WE'VE SIGNED VERTONGHEN!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dutch media are reporting that we've already agreed a €12m deal for Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen.

I thought we weren't buying anyone this window? Oh well! Having watched Bassong's awful display wednesday night (I was a big supporter of Seb's but he has been shocking. If I was to point the finger at 1 player, he is the main reason we are looking at Europa League elimination - his mistake for the Rubin goal and at fault for both PAOK goals AND he was captain!!).

Vertonghen is a great player, Belgian international, a leader at the back, can play several positions and is only 24.

€12m is a great price considering what Bolton wanted for Cahill. What's more, we've beaten both Arrse and Chavs to get him, & they've been after him for a while!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cktxb6qGrXw[/youtube]

Re: Apparently we've signed Vertonghen

Has this been confirmed anywhere? To be honest don't know anything about the guy but Ajax captain and 24yo can't be too shabby.
Someone please drop the knowledge.

not seen this guy play much but with arse, chavski and shity all keeping tabs on him he must be the business

My mate Jordi is an Ajax fan and he's fucking raging about this. Best CF they've had since Koeman he says.

MaynoothSpur said:
Has this been confirmed anywhere? To be honest don't know anything about the guy but Ajax captain and 24yo can't be too shabby.
Someone please drop the knowledge.

It has been printed in the Dutch press as "Spurs have agreed a fee of €12m with Ajax for Jan Vertonghen".

If anyone is going to know the inside details of what is happening at Ajax, it's the Dutch press themselves.

Having said that, they're not reporting that he's signed (it can't be announced until January anyway), just that a fee has been agreed - but it's looking pretty sweet just now.

This is great and everything but it's brought back a horrible memory for some reason which I just wanted to share...

Home against Utd some time back in the dark days ('97 ish) and we signed a new foreign CB who was on the front of the programme for the game and I destinctly remember a guy next to me and my old man pointing at the programme and saying "this guy's going to make all the difference for us"...

That "guy" was Ramon Vega...

Just saying.

What are the odds on Harry coming out and saying he doesn't know anything about it, but he's a great player and who wouldn't want him in their side?

:harrysmile:

Been seeing these reports too...if true, that's the bizness right there. Dude's got a great goalscoring record for a centerhalf (SEVEN in 50 apps last season) and according to the wiki is left-footed, can play anywhere on the left, and frequently plays defensive midfield. He apparently likes to get forward and figures into a lot of Ajax set pieces. Nice video - love the passion. I could get behind the kid -- no paedo.

Only thing is Ledley plays left centerhalf. Ah well, sure they'll work that out if this deal actually gets done.

WilsonJet said:
Only thing is Ledley plays left centerhalf. Ah well, sure they'll work that out if this deal actually gets done.

Ledley's cover/replacement down the line I'd think?

As good as Caulker may turn out to be we can't put all our eggs in the THFC academy basket with it's track record of premiership legends...

For sure, I wasn't suggesting that he replace King - or even start for that matter. If due to injury they were asked to play together, however, someone is out of position. Stupid comment on my part now that I think about it. Hopefully, this is an indicator that Seb is on his way to QPR or whatever. One leftsided CB out and another one in.

Paydro said:
AberdeenYid said:
Paydro said:
you mean CH?
Aye. I'm a twat.

it's all good, if your friends right then I sure as feck hope we get him because Koeman was a real class act
Just spoken to him again. There is an issue apparently in that he plays midfield for Belgium and this has encouraged him to go on the odd upfield rampage, leaving gaps at the back.

Was described as Luiz-like, but unlike Luiz, he can defend.

Moneyball Vertonghen

I've heard we are interested in signing the Ajax Captain Jan Vertonghen. He's a left-footed central defender and he'll cost a bit less than Cahill.

I've never seen him so I have no idea if this would be a good signing.

However if Episode 19 of the Fighting Cock has taught us anything it is that we can MONEYBALL him.

I think this is Fantasy Football for the Eredivisie. Unfortunately I cannot read Dutch. Please help!

http://www.profcoach.nl

Any chance he could be the next Vermaelen, except without the sicknote? Loving that the scum were after him too and look to have missed out to us. The mugs have started sniffing round Damiao too now, so hopefully we can keep the trend going.

Back
Top Bottom