FFP / PSR Requirements & Breaches

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the punishment is severe there's a good chance Chelsea and City don't exist afterwards
That would be the greatest day ever!

I Love You Hug GIF by Demic

Everton and Forest are simple breaches of the amount you can spend, both City and Chelsea are false accounting, non-discourse & deliberate concealment which is a totally different level of action. This is like comparing a parking fine with robbing a bank. However they are also vastly more complex hence the amount of time if takes to process the case with City and the charges with Chelsea.
I can honestly see a far lesser punishment for Chelsea ( new owners, admitted — came forward even? — self-incriminating evidence) than City whose current ownership are responsible for the misdeeds and are still trying to bury them.
Chelsea will get a points deduction that will keep them in the Prem and a large fine.
City will fight their punishment, tooth and nail, and keep this in the courts as long as they can while passing out brown envelopes to whoever can influence their case. They’ll probably join rat-clubs Juve and Barca and push for a ESL.

SLBNS is the account to follow when it to FFP. He is a football lawyer who all the media like the Times, BBC go to when discussing these issues. He often destroys people when they don't know what they are talking about including most of the pundits and journalists although agreeing with John Cross here.

Please read the Chelsea and City tweets, gives you an idea of what is happening.

View: https://x.com/slbsn/status/1747190849774006383?s=20

View: https://x.com/johncrossmirror/status/1747187617186148636?s=20

Chelsea’s case: it’s more serious than City’s but is still under investigation at this point.

View: https://x.com/slbsn/status/1725792178868297858?s=46&t=Gc6HrWVZT0mtSXU7r8ZBIQ

View: https://x.com/slbsn/status/1725813524956393740?s=46&t=Gc6HrWVZT0mtSXU7r8ZBIQ

View: https://x.com/slbsn/status/1724726295177691570?s=46&t=Gc6HrWVZT0mtSXU7r8ZBIQ

Man City:

View: https://x.com/slbsn/status/1662159867426099200?s=46&t=Gc6HrWVZT0mtSXU7r8ZBIQ

View: https://x.com/slbsn/status/1725490001100657096?s=46&t=Gc6HrWVZT0mtSXU7r8ZBIQ

So just to make clear. Everton and Forest are simple breaches of the amount you can spend, both City and Chelsea are false accounting, non-discourse & deliberate concealment which is a totally different level of action. This is like comparing a parking fine with robbing a bank. However they are also vastly more complex hence the amount of time if takes to process the case with City and the charges with Chelsea.

Yeah John Cross has hit the nail on the head. He was on SSN last night talking similar sense on their paper round up (it is available as a podcast every next morning) so worth catching up on. Only 5/10 minutes long.

Yeah John Cross has hit the nail on the head. He was on SSN last night talking similar sense on their paper round up (it is available as a podcast every next morning) so worth catching up on. Only 5/10 minutes long.

Football clubs: we wants rules to stop excessive spending which could bankrupt some of us.

Premier League: ok here is the FFP. If you break it significantly it will result in points deductions or worse. For purposes of conflict of interest an independent panel separate to us will decide the ruling. Are you happy with this?

Football clubs: yes, we sign up to FFP, thank you.

Football clubs break rules

Football clubs/media: where the fuck has this come from, I didn’t think they would enforce the rules, why are they enforcing rules on the game that we signed up to, I thought they would only enforce the rules when it suited us.

Football clubs: we wants rules to stop excessive spending which could bankrupt some of us.

Premier League: ok here is the FFP. If you break it significantly it will result in points deductions or worse. For purposes of conflict of interest an independent panel separate to us will decide the ruling. Are you happy with this?

Football clubs: yes, we sign up to FFP, thank you.

Football clubs break rules

Football clubs/media: where the fuck has this come from, I didn’t think they would enforce the rules, why are they enforcing rules on the game that we signed up to, I thought they would only enforce the rules when it suited us.
Yeah it's willfully dishonest.

When we win the league, and I think we will under Ange sooner rather than later, I want it to be because we won it by accumulating the most points, not because other teams had points deducted.

I really wouldn’t care. If those clubs didn’t cheat , they wouldn’t be in their lofty positions in the league anyway.

Its supply and demand though, take away the demand and Clubs with Money aren't going to pay Stupid money if they dont have to - Take the Gallagher situation , the Chavs want up to £50 million this window, we must be one of the few clubs that can afford that but Levy is not Stupid as we have the upper hand and if he really is for sale I reckon we get it done for about £35 million , where as had plenty of other clubs been flash with cash then they would have got closer to £50 million.
Agreed but my point was the reduction in transfer fees/wages won’t necessarily result in cheaper tickets

True, therefore the punishment could or should be much more serious such as demotion and not necessarily down 1 División. Trouble being could it affect the number of places we are allowed in the Champions League?

How so? We had four CL places even before Chelsea and City bought/cheated their way into becoming “big” clubs?

I can honestly see a far lesser punishment for Chelsea ( new owners, admitted — came forward even? — self-incriminating evidence) than City whose current ownership are responsible for the misdeeds and are still trying to bury them.
Chelsea will get a points deduction that will keep them in the Prem and a large fine.
City will fight their punishment, tooth and nail, and keep this in the courts as long as they can while passing out brown envelopes to whoever can influence their case. They’ll probably join rat-clubs Juve and Barca and push for a ESL.
City should be knocked down to League Two.

On the prices coming down point, I fear it won’t happen sadly: the only thing that will make prices come down is if they start to struggle to sell out. Logically the main thing that’ll cause that if there’s a deterioration of the quality of the league overall and/or state of the economy being such that people literally cannot afford to attend (arguably at that latter stage already)
I think prices will come down, unless European teams manage to somehow significantly increase their revenue. Because outside of the PL, there's really only Bayern, Real, and PSG that can afford £60/70/80 million signings. And if the belt tightens in the PL, that's even fewer teams that could afford these amounts. So there will likely be a correction to the explosion of transfer fees that started with the Neymar sale to PSG.

But equally importantly wages will also come down, since they too count towards FFP/PSR. The current Spurs wage model will probably become the norm, rather than an outlier, for big clubs.

Both of these things will significantly even the playing field in our favor. It's been a long time coming, but our self-sustaining model will start paying off and allow us to attract title-winning caliber players. That being said, I would still prefer our current "buy reasonably priced up-and-coming players" approach, with the odd £60-70 million player being one of the last pieces of the puzzle, rather than the foundation that a team is built on.

Last edited:
Very good point: FFP is also a way to protect teams whose owners spend unscrupulously should these owners leave.

View: https://twitter.com/OhSoSpurs/status/1745786403668017182

First and foremost it’s objective is to protect ateam should owners leave, but it does also make it more difficult for someone to buy a club, load it with cash and get them into the top 6. They go together and it limits top 6 for the aforementioned reason - it’s unsustainable should the owners leave and risks the clubs future eg Reading

Of course City and Chelsea won't get proper punishment, they have both been lynchpins in Sky's broadcasting PL-era!! Sky loves a cheater!

Other clubs tho....let the punishments begin!!

I think both Chelsea and City should be relegated, and stripped of every titles/trophys they have won since their oil-takeovers

Back
Top Bottom