Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Read my post again geezer.
We need a hungry capable striker not content with being back up.

The best way for the best striker in the world to remain the best striker in the world is to keep him on his toes, keep him fit, and not have to rely on his brilliance every single match in the toughest league in the world.

And where is that going to come from, Sherlock?

Come on, name names. Who are these world class strikers that will be willing to sign as backup, play less games, and be happy with the situation?

The best way for the best striker in the world to remain the best striker in the world is to keep him on his toes, keep him fit, and not have to rely on his brilliance every single match in the toughest league in the world.

Kane is to a point where only a handful of players in the world can challenge him for minutes. Spurs cannot go out and buy a player like that. If Kane wasn't a Spurs product there is no way in fuck that we would have ever landed him in this transfer market.

The best we can hope for is an established veteran to take spot minutes or a talented youngster (18-22) that may or may not pan out.

Come on, name names. Who are these world class strikers that will be willing to sign as backup, play less games, and be happy with the situation?
How many more times Jerry. Back up = lazy, happy to take my shekels has-been.
We are a big club, would you agree? Big clubs should be capable of attracting better, hungrier, players than Llorente to support Harry Kane surely. No striker expects to play 38 games in the toughest league in world football. If you think we can't do better than Llorente then you underestimate the magnitude of Tottenham Hotspur.

How many more times Jerry. Back up = lazy, happy to take my shekels has-been.
We are a big club, would you agree? Big clubs should be capable of attracting better, hungrier, players than Llorente to support Harry Kane surely. No striker expects to play 38 games in the toughest league in world football. If you think we can't do better than Llorente then you underestimate the magnitude of Tottenham Hotspur.

That’s crazy,

Proven, high quality strikers aren’t going to want to sit on the bench watching Kane knock them in week in week out. Therefore we have two options:

Young, successful abroad potential- Janssen

Older, proven experience - Llorente

I agree that neither of those have been successful, but they’re understandable decisions.

Tell that to Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Aubameyang etc. who've never had competition for their place and are still the world's best with Harry.

Last edited:
Llorente was off to chelsea till our manager personally called him and persuaded him to sign. The player he was going to cover, according to our manager, didn't want to join us because Harry Kane. Both of these are a matter of public record.

So whats the verdict on Llorente so far? On current form, would you keep beyond the summer, or seek out someone else to back up Kane next season?
Hasn't hit the ground running like we'd hoped. But that is to be expected considering he is 33, and part because we don't play to his strengths. We still benefit from having him in the dressing room as he is a senior player with experience of winning championships and he hardly ever looks stressed when playing. His calm spreads to the rest of the players and considering a lot of our squad is still fairly young it is not a bad thing to have a mentor figure in it.

I would probably keep him around as a third striker and mentor to whatever younger striker we bring in in the summer (Arp please)

Don't wanna be negative but how disappointing is this guy? Always plays like he's in a testimonial match.
So many casual misplaced passes tonight and a couple more sitters to add to his growing list of howlers.
Such a let down, I hoped for/expected so much more.

Last edited:
I think he's just not been integrated at all, he's unfit and he's not sharp. You can see that his lay offs and little passes, as well as his work in the air are just a bit off - his finishing is a whisker off too. He's not going to get the game time, maybe Rochdale, or realistically unless Kane gets injured. Bit of a shame since he seems a decent guy.

It can be done...I think look at the aubamayang and Lacazette situation....good healthy competition...add in welbeck and, until recently, giroud.

Gotta be better options than llorente who was pure dog shite tonight...

Hasn't hit the ground running like we'd hoped. But that is to be expected considering he is 33, and part because we don't play to his strengths. We still benefit from having him in the dressing room as he is a senior player with experience of winning championships and he hardly ever looks stressed when playing. His calm spreads to the rest of the players and considering a lot of our squad is still fairly young it is not a bad thing to have a mentor figure in it.

I would probably keep him around as a third striker and mentor to whatever younger striker we bring in in the summer (Arp please)
He has a strength !!!!! Really ????

He's been really disappointing, there are flashes of quality there, even tonight there were rare moments, first 10mins was a disaster but started to get a few passes off, then went crap again. Like with all players, time to judge is 2nd season, especially when they have had a pre-season with the team. Llorente didn't even have a pre-season with Swansea as he had a broken arm. But it's far to say Janssen is the better player at least he held the ball up without being bullied off it and could press with some intensity.

He's been really disappointing, there are flashes of quality there, even tonight there were rare moments, first 10mins was a disaster but started to get a few passes off, then went crap again. Like with all players, time to judge is 2nd season, especially when they have had a pre-season with the team. Llorente didn't even have a pre-season with Swansea as he had a broken arm. But it's far to say Janssen is the better player at least he held the ball up without being bullied off it and could press with some intensity.

I would have preferred to keep vinny. Maybe he could have improved as per Son.

But maybe Poch saw something in his character he didn’t like or that he wouldn’t fit in with the squad.
Shame as seeing all the press from Holland said his character was very positive and he worked hard to be a better footballer.

Guess we will never know.

I would have preferred to keep vinny. Maybe he could have improved as per Son.

But maybe Poch saw something in his character he didn’t like or that he wouldn’t fit in with the squad.
Shame as seeing all the press from Holland said his character was very positive and he worked hard to be a better footballer.

Guess we will never know.
Don't think his character was an issue, haven't heard anything to support this. I think it might have been his fitness and possibly his technical ability. He played simply, hold the ball up, stick his arse out towards the defender behind him, play the ball the way he was facing. Never saw him take a ball on the half turn or actually turn and face up the oppo. Don't know if he couldn't do this or if he was playing it simple to build confidence. Suspect it might the latter.

Back
Top Bottom