Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's been really disappointing, there are flashes of quality there, even tonight there were rare moments, first 10mins was a disaster but started to get a few passes off, then went crap again. Like with all players, time to judge is 2nd season, especially when they have had a pre-season with the team. Llorente didn't even have a pre-season with Swansea as he had a broken arm. But it's far to say Janssen is the better player at least he held the ball up without being bullied off it and could press with some intensity.
we need to be clear Janssen was hopeless.
Janssen had the benefit of a run of games when Kane was injured and still couldn't put anything together. Compare them per minute for us and there is little difference in impact or output.
the pressing thing is fair as Janssen is more mobile, but Llorentes positioning and runs are much better.
Both are hugely disappointing, but are a symptom of our system, tactics and squad.

we need to be clear Janssen was hopeless.
Janssen had the benefit of a run of games when Kane was injured and still couldn't put anything together. Compare them per minute for us and there is little difference in impact or output.
the pressing thing is fair as Janssen is more mobile, but Llorentes positioning and runs are much better.
Both are hugely disappointing, but are a symptom of our system, tactics and squad.
One thing for sure and that's both players on the ball do not suit us, we look to play quick one and two touch and on the half turn, haven't seen this in abundance from either. Llorente against Madrid was lovely, wasn't heavily involved but when asked fed our 3rd man runners he did that so well, so I know it's there somewhere, Janssen had never shown this, could only play the ball the way he was facing (back to goal). But Llorente doesn't press, when he does he goes straight to player, doesn't go at an angle that might force player to kick with wrong foot or block a passing lane off and doesn't go quick enough, Janssen could do this, although he did tend to blow himself out. Both might have their strengths but we don't play to them, we play our way which makes both look in the main like fish out of water, flapping about aimlessly.

Best CF alternative option to Kane we have is Son, who if given that role permanently would be right up the top of the goalscoring charts.

Llorente has not shown enough in the few chances he's had. It's not about missing sitters, but his energy is pretty poor.
I can understand his lack of motivation getting so little game time at this stage of his career and maybe a little more integration would have seen us gain the player that Swansea lost.

I thought Janssen deserved a second season here, but seems we are back to square one, or in fact worse off now.

carthorse.jpg

He was so poor. Sissoko is not the best player in the world, but at least he runs his socks off and tries. I was delighted we signed Llorente, especially as we beat Chelsea to the punch, but think they have had the last laugh. Surely we have someone better in the youth team that can play better!

He was so poor. Sissoko is not the best player in the world, but at least he runs his socks off and tries. I was delighted we signed Llorente, especially as we beat Chelsea to the punch, but think they have had the last laugh. Surely we have someone better in the youth team that can play better!

But he daaaaaaamnnnnn handsome Mrs P!

Llorente has already proved he's ahead of Janssen by playing well in Madrid, scoring an important goal against Apoel in the CL and scoring away at Swansea.

He might be disappointing overall so far but it's laughable to suggest we were better off with Janssen.

His hold up and link up play the other night was excellent at times, bringing players into the game well and setting up chances.

Unfortunately he looks like he couldn't score even if he fell into a barrel of fannies.

That’s a very good point, do we have no striker in our youth team?

They’d love to sit on the bench and would really go for it if given the chance.

You know, like Kane did....

I’d be more than happy to have Son as backup to Kane. Not to the exclusion of his place out wide at present, but if Kane is missing, we can put Son up top and draft in Moura or Lamela easily.

Another barnstorming performance (and another easy chance missed) from the big man. As much as I don't rate him, I'd have Sissoko (Janssen?) ahead of this plodder any day.

His hold up and link up play the other night was excellent at times, bringing players into the game well and setting up chances.

Unfortunately he looks like he couldn't score even if he fell into a barrel of fannies.
We are not really set up to play to his strengths. Get the ball in to him early and look for the lay-offs ... like it was with Crouch and VdV.
If we don't want to do that then I guess we shouldn't pick him.

Has to be 3rd choice striker, he’s really not mobile enough to fit into our style of play now.

Not sure if he was bought for his experience and know how at the top level rather than what he offers physically to the team.

A very strange buy in hindsight.
At his age he probably needs to be playing more often (every week but not full games) to really be match sharp.

Some lovely touches at times today but I just feel he doesn't suit us - even as a plan B it doesn't quite work because our players seem to refuse to play that different style of getting crosses into him etc.

I honestly don't think Janssen would have done any worse in the games that Llorente has played. I just think we either need to play Son up top and provide creativity behind him in Eriksen, Lamela, Lucas etc. or buy a young striker who is willing to learn and has traits that suit us.

I quite liked that link to Arp in January - especially considering he has experience in the Bundesliga, he's young, he likes Tottenham and idolises Harry Kane.

Back
Top Bottom