FA Response to Torres Scratching

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He might have the media in the palm of his manicured hands, but Jose can come across as a nasty bit of work sometimes, (remember the eye-gouging at Madrid?) not to mention how TOTALLY self-absorbed and in love with his own charisma he is... No wonder it's rubbing off on the players!
You're forgetting the second half of the eye-gouging incident, in which Mourinho said in the subsequent press conference that he has no idea who "Pito" is, with Pito of course being spanish slang for penis.

What a classy guy, Jose. First you eye gouge Tito, then act like you don't even know what his name is in a broadcast press conference.

Funny how short the memories of many members of this forum are. I seem to remember being one of about three people that weren't banging on for the club to appoint Jose when it looked like Harry was going to get the England job. Most of you didn't care that he was a cunt then, only insisting that Mourinho would take us to the next level and that would be worth whatever the cost.

Anyone want to repeat that, given all that's happened?

Funny how short the memories of many members of this forum are. I seem to remember being one of about three people that weren't banging on for the club to appoint Jose when it looked like Harry was going to get the England job. Most of you didn't care that he was a cunt then, only insisting that Mourinho would take us to the next level and that would be worth whatever the cost.
I believe these are the people you had in mind:
mouninites.png

(Yes, it's a repost kind of day)

Anyone want to repeat that, given all that's happened?

I was too busy extolling the virtues of Brendan Rodgers at the time, I seem to remember!! :avbfacepalm:

Torres had real venom in his eyes when he attacked Jan, its a disgrace that he is not going to punished further, IMO it was worse than the Suarez bite

Torres had real venom in his eyes when he attacked Jan, its a disgrace that he is not going to punished further, IMO it was worse than the Suarez bite

I agree with this, Suarez bite was a real heat of the moment thing driven by instinct which shows he's pretty much lost his marbles. Torres on the other hand was a calculated cold blooded attack whilst laughing, damn near an eye gauge which can cause serious injury. The fact that their manager then went on to question our players integrity whilst not saying a thing about Torres tells you all you need to know about that club. Classless pack of scumbags.

slightly off topic but....

I haven't seen Torres play that well for years. Jan still had him under manners though.

Torres, for me, was the best striker in the world a few years back and last Sat he got quite close to that level again.

Verts is a world class defender.

Always thought Villa in his prime was better personally. If he played in the Premier League everyone would have been sucking him off like they did when Torres in his heyday.

He was excellent on Saturday though.

I get that the F.A. can't change a decision if the referee saw it and gave what he thought was a valid decision (don't undermine the refs and all that) but "one official saw the incident, albeit not in its entirety" is a joke. So basically a lino saw a hand to face but not what happened and that means the decision can't be changed?

The system is a joke.

It's embarrassing how inept they are as an organisation. You're always going to get inconsistencies with refs as they have different interpretations of the game, but why can't the FA be consistent FFS?!

Even slam dunk easy decisions you still half expect them to get it wrong.

"The amendment follows a tackle last season involving Wigan’s Callum McManaman and Newcastle United’s Massadio Haidara in which the match referee’s view of the incident was blocked whilst the other match officials were not in a position to judge exactly what had occurred.

Prior to this change, which was ratified by The Football Regulatory Authority, The FA was only able to take retrospective action when none of the match officials had seen the ‘coming together’ or when the incident was truly exceptional, for example, in the case of Ben Thatcher's challenge on Pedro Mendes."

So basically the refs are always right then?

"The amendment follows a tackle last season involving Wigan’s Callum McManaman and Newcastle United’s Massadio Haidara in which the match referee’s view of the incident was blocked whilst the other match officials were not in a position to judge exactly what had occurred.

Prior to this change, which was ratified by The Football Regulatory Authority, The FA was only able to take retrospective action when none of the match officials had seen the ‘coming together’ or when the incident was truly exceptional, for example, in the case of Ben Thatcher's challenge on Pedro Mendes."

So basically the refs are always right then?

Seems so. No matter what happens, they are right in whatever they do, or don't do.

Of course this now begs the question, if the assistant referee, or 'linesman' as I like to call him, saw Torres put his hand in Vertonghens face, why did he not flag for it? That's a red card in itself even if he didn't see the actual gouging/scratching. Though of course, if he didn't actually see it the FA should be able to take retrospective action...
...it's typical of a Governing body such as the FA to implement rules that don't work in practice.

Long time ago, down near a chip shop in Walthamstow, played a young Spaniard called Fernando.
His a twat, scratch the face of Vertonghen, Spurs's centre back.
Got away with it because it was missed by the man in black, who is also a twat.. That's my contribution!

Always thought Villa in his prime was better personally. If he played in the Premier League everyone would have been sucking him off like they did when Torres in his heyday.

He was excellent on Saturday though.
Sorry cant agree......He couldn't score! fell over a bit, attacked our defender because he couldn't get the better of him, did them meaningless runs that look great but go nowhere, over hit a pass to the back post for Hazard, oh and had a shot saved because he over ran it and Lloris was able to get there. Brilliant.!

Of course this now begs the question, if the assistant referee, or 'linesman' as I like to call him, saw Torres put his hand in Vertonghens face, why did he not flag for it? That's a red card in itself even if he didn't see the actual gouging/scratching. Though of course, if he didn't actually see it the FA should be able to take retrospective action...
...it's typical of a Governing body such as the FA to implement rules that don't work in practice.

Torres knew exactly what he was doing. Since the ref's touchline assistant's view of Torres' hand was obstructed by Vertonghen's head, he might have assumed that Torres was giving Jan a friendly playful slap on the cheek. You know, the kind Joe Pesci might give you before he pens you repeatedly in the neck.

Not that I disagree...

But, how many games banned? More than 7 if it was worse than Suarez?
I have no idea how the # of games is decided? What is a realistic number?

Back
Top Bottom