European super league

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People not taking this threat seriously enough imo.

Exactly what you would expect teams like United and Liverpool to try to do in reaction to this new era of Premier League parity.

They'll probably set up their own Pay-per-view channel...but with football being so tribal nowadays how many fans of other teams will pay to watch these cunts? It'll go the same way as boxing, I used to never miss a big fight...now I don't give a fuck...

People not taking this threat seriously enough imo.

Exactly what you would expect teams like United and Liverpool to try to do in reaction to this new era of Premier League parity.

I just don't see how just having an European super league will give them more ££ , as that's all it's all about really.
Lose PL money, domestic Cups. It would also soon lose its initial interest if these 20 teams just stayed in this league with no relegation , promotion , as no domestic league would accept them back .

If this super league did happen, which is a joke imo, then I would like it made abundantly clear to all that you cant juat come back to the PL or Serie A or whatever, that they would have to start right at the bottom of the football pyramid.

I just don't see how just having an European super league will give them more ££ , as that's all it's all about really.
Lose PL money, domestic Cups. It would also soon lose its initial interest if these 20 teams just stayed in this league with no relegation , promotion , as no domestic league would accept them back .

These clubs are full of their own self importance that they don't realise that once fans lose interest it becomes irrelevant. They hope to generate more money, however when their fanbases will be mainly in Asia, Australasia and USA, they will have to play their matches when regular local fans cannot attend. Who wants to see empty stadiums playing in what is effectively a glorified Emirates/Audi/Peace Cup competition?

It's meant to replace the champions league, not the premier league. It's a challenge to UEFA. United, dippers, chavs etc don't want to miss out on the money when they don't qualify for the current CL. They see this as guaranteed top flight European football.

The story, for what it's worth, is here.

Top secret European Super League summit revealed: Man U, Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City chiefs in talks to LEAVE Champions League

I just can't wait for these clubs to now clarify what the meeting was about. They owe that to the other clubs in the League and also the supporters of all the clubs in the League.

I actually think it is muscle flexing, if they wanted to hold a secret meeting it wouldn't be at a Top London hotel, it would be on Abramovich's yacht or secret lair in a volcano.

Seeing that this lot are currently 3rd, 4th, 5th and 11th it is more than likely a strategy meeting on how to stop the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

I just can't wait for these clubs to now clarify what the meeting was about.
Football365 have a theory...
Officials from Manchester United, Woolwich, Chelsea, Manchester City and Liverpool met in London on Tuesday to discuss the formation of a European Super League, a report claims.

The Sun have photographs of Ed Woodward, Bruce Buck, Ferran Soriano, Ivan Gazidis and Ian Ayre all exiting the Dorchester Hotel in London.

The claim is that all five were meeting American billionaire Stephen Ross, owner of the Miami Dolphins about the formation of a European Super League.

This Super League would mean that clubs broke away from the Champions League, forming their own elite competition whereby qualification was guaranteed every season. The television money on offer would sit somewhere between ‘loads’ and ‘sh*tting loads’.

The Dorchester Hotel is less than a mile away from the Premier League’s headquarters, so it’s fair to say that the five bigwigs were hardly meeting in a clandestine location deep in English countryside.

Ross is the organiser of the International Champions Cup, the preseason tournament that involves the biggest clubs every summer playing friendlies across the world. Maybe they were just talking about new ideas involving that tournament?

It's meant to replace the champions league, not the premier league. It's a challenge to UEFA. United, dippers, chavs etc don't want to miss out on the money when they don't qualify for the current CL. They see this as guaranteed top flight European football.

The story, for what it's worth, is here.

Top secret European Super League summit revealed: Man U, Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City chiefs in talks to LEAVE Champions League

Let's be real two of those teams aren't exactly massive clubs with big fanbases and history, they are just doped up by dodgy oil and gas money. Utd not been relevant since Fergie left. Woolwich the perennial also ran and Lolerpool, less said about them the better.

There's been a few who's said that interest would disappear with the same teams playing again and again. I think that's underestimating how many football "fans" there is about in England, Europe and beyond who has a way more relaxed interest in football than us. They would never care enough to post on a forum like this, they'd find another team if Roman leaves Chelski, and since they don't even know Nottingham Forest exists, they'd much rather see Man U playing Real again and again than having them draw Forest in a cup.

There's been a few who's said that interest would disappear with the same teams playing again and again. I think that's underestimating how many football "fans" there is about in England, Europe and beyond who has a way more relaxed interest in football than us. They would never care enough to post on a forum like this, they'd find another team if Roman leaves Chelski, and since they don't even know Nottingham Forest exists, they'd much rather see Man U playing Real again and again than having them draw Forest in a cup.
Those fuckers need weeding out anyway...I guess this is as good a way as any.

Let's be real two of those teams aren't exactly massive clubs with big fanbases and history, they are just doped up by dodgy oil and gas money. Utd not been relevant since Fergie left. Woolwich the perennial also ran and Lolerpool, less said about them the better.

If, for arguments sake, it was happening next season, and we win the league this season but are not admitted in first place when the dippers get in finishing ninth, it ain't gonna be much of a super league is it? Who's going to buy that?

Then again if these football fans have a more 'relaxed' view of supporting teams. They too are more likely to get bored of watching the same matches. The Superduper Euro League will just become a set of exhibition matches of no real importance. It'll be sterile with no atmosphere or passion. Look at the likes of Woolwich and Utd now the atmosphere is terrible as it is, these so called casual fans will lose interest quickly.

Let these five leave the FA and our leagues. Big teams have disappeared in the past only to be replaced by someone else.

International TV money already dwarfs domestic rights. International TV rights for a super league guaranteeing the biggest "brands" in the world play each other every year would be even bigger. I hope this is just a bargaining move but it seems disturbingly plausible.

Then again if these football fans have a more 'relaxed' view of supporting teams. They too are more likely to get bored of watching the same matches. The Superduper Euro League will just become a set of exhibition matches of no real importance. It'll be sterile with no atmosphere or passion. Look at the likes of Woolwich and Utd now the atmosphere is terrible as it is, these so called casual fans will lose interest quickly.

Let these five leave the FA and our leagues. Big teams have disappeared in the past only to be replaced by someone else.

It works to great financial effect in US sports, in the football WC and Euros to a large extent, and I'd argue it's basically just the same in the CL where it's basically the same 5 or at a stretch 10 teams with a real chance every year. It's already happening and as I recall the tv numbers they go through the roof when two big teams collide compared to Barcelona running into FC Letsgiveitago from Bulgaria.

It works to great financial effect in US sports, in the football WC and Euros to a large extent, and I'd argue it's basically just the same in the CL where it's basically the same 5 or at a stretch 10 teams with a real chance every year. It's already happening and as I recall the tv numbers they go through the roof when two big teams collide compared to Barcelona running into FC Letsgiveitago from Bulgaria.

America has a huge domestic market for their own sport, they also have a relaxed view about supporting teams. The same cannot be said for the English fanbase. Look at how tribal supporting football is here. No way any of us would be switching teams with regularity. If the five break away, yes they will have numbers initially, however when tickets for these matches become unaffordable and people no longer turn up to watch. The stadiums would be empty and the fans across the globe will turn off as there will be no rivalry or passion on show. Just two sides in an empty arena. Then we'll get those clubs moving their franchises elsewhere hopefully to outta Mongolia.

The article says that the man behind it is "American supremo Stephen Ross". From that I take that his model is the NFL, where mostly the same teams play each other year after year. The make up of the league only changes when somebody takes over one of the franchises. So this will just be a competition for clubs on the rich list.

Back
Top Bottom