European super league

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Competitions like the Champions League exist because it is where all clubs are trying to get to. If it was a closed shop it would not be a champions league. US sports are so insular it's no wonder hardly any countries play their silly sports. They call the NBA champions (world champions FFS), no other country takes NFL seriously so no competition.

Closing off European football competitions to include only elite clubs could make them far richer, according to the American sports executive who has held talks with the leading English Premier League teams about a shake-up to long-established league structures.

The Relevant Sports chairman, Charlie Stillitano, held talks with Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United on Tuesday in London about this year’s International Champions Cup (ICC), an annual pre-season friendly tournament organised by his company. Stillitano confirmed they also discussed “restructuring the Champions League” – an issue high on the European Club Association agenda amid a power vacuum at Uefa.

Stillitano revealed that the European governing body has been keen on working with the ICC, which already attracts some of the world’s wealthiest teams to compete in games across the globe for a lucrative but meaningless prize. “We have even talked to Uefa in the past because they had an interest in our summer tournament,” Stillitano told the US satellite radio station SiriusXM. “That is something they would like to integrate into their portfolio.”

Joining forces with Relevent’s ICC would currently be incompatible with Uefa’s existing sponsorships. There are no plans with Uefa presently on the table but discussions have not been closed off.

Woolwich are the only team from the talks to go on the record in denying they advocate a breakaway Super League for Europe’s leading clubs.

Discussions within the ECA about the merits of advocating guaranteed Champions League places for prestigious teams come at a time when Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United are all in danger of missing out on qualifying for Europe’s top competition next season.

“What would Manchester United argue: did we create soccer or did Leicester create [it]?” said Stillitano, who met United’s executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, on Tuesday. “Let’s call it the money pot created by soccer and the fandom around the world. Who has had more of an integral role, Manchester United or Leicester? It’s a wonderful, wonderful story – but you could see it from Manchester United’s point of view, too.”

If the Premier League season ended now, Leicester and Tottenham would qualify for the Champions League alongside Woolwich and Manchester City.

“Maybe that is absolutely spectacular unless you are a Manchester United fan, Liverpool fan … or a Chelsea fan,” Stillitano said. “I guess they don’t have a birthright to be in it every year but it’s the age-old argument: US sports franchises versus what they have in Europe. There are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful elements to relegation and promotion and there are good arguments for a closed system.”

Stillitano believes Europe’s biggest clubs deserve to make more cash from the Champions League, given their contribution to making it such a financial success. He said fans are more likely to watch the Juventus v Bayern Munich and Woolwich v Barcelona games in the current round of 16 rather than matches involving PSV Eindhoven and Ghent.

“This is going to sound arrogant and it’s the furthest thing from it … but suddenly when you see the teams we have this summer in the ICC you are going to shake your head and say, ‘Isn’t that the Champions League?’” Stillitano said. “No, the Champions League is PSV and Ghent.”

Voicing the complaints he hears from clubs, Stillitano said: “I could make a lot more money, I can be a lot more visible, I can help my sponsors out but right now I am locked into doing certain things that are really historic.”

If this Stillitano guy died tomorrow, it would not be a shame. The fucking cunt. Fuming. If this actually does happen, I give up on football forever, and that's not a joke.

“What would Manchester United argue: did we create soccer or did Leicester create [it]?” said Stillitano, who met United’s executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, on Tuesday. “Let’s call it the money pot created by soccer and the fandom around the world. Who has had more of an integral role, Manchester United or Leicester? It’s a wonderful, wonderful story – but you could see it from Manchester United’s point of view, too.”

Maybe we should let also West Ham compete in and advance automatically to the quarter-finals of the World Cup, since they claim to have won it.

The quotes from that Stillitano cunt have sent me into a wild fit of rage! The audacity of this fucking dumb yank to even make these comments public makes my blood boil. Champions league qualification is earnt by the skill and quality of your squad not by your potential to accrue tv ratings! The funniest part is the concept that the big clubs are finding that buying players good enough to reach the top 4 is too much of a financial burden so instead they will go off and form their own league where they don't have to spend as much as there will less competition! You really think that is a good business model you stupid yank fuck??!
Hey there. Calling him a yank embarrasses the rest of us.

Even if they do fuck off and create their own fruity little club, it is just wildly unacceptable that they'd allow Liverpool to join.

This whole "our club creates more global revenue so we should receive special treatment" argument is brain dead beyond belief. The dippers obviously subscribe to it, being the odious deluded pieces of cunt that they are.

How exactly did man united get famous, was it by playing their seniors against their reserves every week, or was it by playing all the other English clubs. Without Leicester, Everton, Spurs, Bolton, or whoever, the likes of man united would have fuck all revenue.

As for the dippers still acting like they're bigger than the rest, give me strength. And they still think Liverpool is everyone's favourite second team. If there is a god Liverpool fc will secede from competitive football altogether, thinking they can make more money by touring the planet, sort of Harlem Globetrotter type thing. Except it falls flat and they go bankrupt and disappear from the face of the earth.

Hilarious that the 'Big 5' are all behind Leicester and us in the league.

It's a way to keep the rich clubs rich and the poor clubs poor. We've all seen how the likes of Woolwich and United get on in Europe. They get pumped. Why the fuck would they want to get pumped week in week out?

Never going to happen.

I also wonder that if this degrading of football happens if those football loving fans of Liverpool, the ones who hold the interest of the loyal, working class football fan to their hearts, will protest about it?
Doubt it.
As long as they don't charge them too much.
I mean were Man U not a LCFC before 1945? Where were Chavs in Europe before 2003 - 2 cup winners cups, 1 league title 3 fa cups & 2 league cups before the oligarch took over. They nearly were nearly extinct too.

If it is just a meeting about revamping the CL then, I reiterate, what the fuck is Ian Ayre doing there?
You may as well have invited us because we have also been in it once since 2009. but also consistently finished higher than them in the league since then.

Last edited:
I can't see this completely taking off with a huge "fuck you" to footballing traditions. But would anyone be too shocked if they merged the 'useless' Europa League into the Champions League with a 64-team group stage, gave the biggest leagues six places each, and made qualification based on average points over the last three seasons? You'd make the biggest clubs safer, play the 'everyone hates Europa' card, not have to introduce any more fixture slots, allow the mid-sized clubs a better chance of qualifying, and ensure that players could be poached from any upstarts like Leicester who threatened the established order. Perhaps not all at once, but that's how I could see the kind of idea eventually reaching fruition.

Competitions like the Champions League exist because it is where all clubs are trying to get to. If it was a closed shop it would not be a champions league. US sports are so insular it's no wonder hardly any countries play their silly sports. They call the NBA champions (world champions FFS), no other country takes NFL seriously so no competition.

Closing off European football competitions to include only elite clubs could make them far richer, according to the American sports executive who has held talks with the leading English Premier League teams about a shake-up to long-established league structures.

The Relevant Sports chairman, Charlie Stillitano, held talks with Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United on Tuesday in London about this year’s International Champions Cup (ICC), an annual pre-season friendly tournament organised by his company. Stillitano confirmed they also discussed “restructuring the Champions League” – an issue high on the European Club Association agenda amid a power vacuum at Uefa.

Stillitano revealed that the European governing body has been keen on working with the ICC, which already attracts some of the world’s wealthiest teams to compete in games across the globe for a lucrative but meaningless prize. “We have even talked to Uefa in the past because they had an interest in our summer tournament,” Stillitano told the US satellite radio station SiriusXM. “That is something they would like to integrate into their portfolio.”

Joining forces with Relevent’s ICC would currently be incompatible with Uefa’s existing sponsorships. There are no plans with Uefa presently on the table but discussions have not been closed off.

Woolwich are the only team from the talks to go on the record in denying they advocate a breakaway Super League for Europe’s leading clubs.

Discussions within the ECA about the merits of advocating guaranteed Champions League places for prestigious teams come at a time when Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United are all in danger of missing out on qualifying for Europe’s top competition next season.

If the Premier League season ended now, Leicester and Tottenham would qualify for the Champions League alongside Woolwich and Manchester City.

“Maybe that is absolutely spectacular unless you are a Manchester United fan, Liverpool fan … or a Chelsea fan,” Stillitano said. “I guess they don’t have a birthright to be in it every year but it’s the age-old argument: US sports franchises versus what they have in Europe. There are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful elements to relegation and promotion and there are good arguments for a closed system.”

Stillitano believes Europe’s biggest clubs deserve to make more cash from the Champions League, given their contribution to making it such a financial success. He said fans are more likely to watch the Juventus v Bayern Munich and Woolwich v Barcelona games in the current round of 16 rather than matches involving PSV Eindhoven and Ghent.

“This is going to sound arrogant and it’s the furthest thing from it … but suddenly when you see the teams we have this summer in the ICC you are going to shake your head and say, ‘Isn’t that the Champions League?’” Stillitano said. “No, the Champions League is PSV and Ghent.”

Voicing the complaints he hears from clubs, Stillitano said: “I could make a lot more money, I can be a lot more visible, I can help my sponsors out but right now I am locked into doing certain things that are really historic.”

I'm a fairly laid back chap but on reading that I am utterly disgusted. The fuckin arrogance of this fuckwit is unreal. If they were to go ahead with it then fuck off out of the premiership too.

I'm a fairly laid back chap but on reading that I am utterly disgusted. The fuckin arrogance of this fuckwit is unreal. If they were to go ahead with it then fuck off out of the premiership too.

Thoroughly detestable, money man that has no interest in proper sporting achievements. Who is interested in a closed competition that actually doesn't offer 'competition'. Might as well be a friendly league that offers no drama, excitement or chance to reach for the top. Create the league and watch those teams become the footballing equivalent of the Harlem Globe Trotters, minus the superstar names as they would be ineligible to play in FIFA/UEFA sanctioned tournaments, they'll soon come crawling back. Make them work their way back up the leagues, teams like the Chavs and Shitty would disappear completely as they are the epitome of small clubs with glory hunter/tourist following. When the prestige of owning these clubs dry up and their fuel rich oligarch/sheiks get bored you'll soon see them go back to irrelevance.

Champions League shake-up: Uefa 'consider new format'

_88924464_championsleague.jpg

The Champions League may feature fewer teams in the group stages under proposals being considered by Uefa.

One suggestion is for more knockout rounds, leading to two 'super-league' groups of eight teams - the current format features eight groups of four.

A spokesman told the Guardian Uefa was in "constant contact" with clubs but "no concrete proposals" were in place.

The current structure is unlikely to change under the present TV rights deal, which runs to the end of 2017-18.

The Champions League replaced the European Cup, which was a straight knockout competition, in 1992.

There are currently three qualifying rounds and a play-off round, all played over two legs, then the group stage which features 32 teams divided into eight groups, with the top two in each group advancing to the knockout round of 16.

The European Clubs' Association, led by former West Germany international striker Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, has held discussions regarding a tournament consisting of 20 teams from Italy, England, Spain, Germany and France.

Inter Milan chief executive Michael Bolingbroke told the BBC this week that he saw merit in the idea of Champions League wildcards for teams that have not qualified through their league position.

Premier League clubs meet to discuss new European league which could be approved by UEFA as soon as September
  • UEFA are open to a new Champions League format in a new shake-up
  • It would be the closest step to a European Super League yet if it happens
  • New format could be in place ready for 2018-19 season after the World Cup
  • Both Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool all met last month
  • Relevant Sports, which runs International Champions Cup, also involved
By CHRIS WHEELER FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:30, 23 March 2016 | UPDATED: 01:35, 24 March 2016

European football faces its greatest shake-up in nearly a quarter of a century under proposals being discussed by Premier League and foreign clubs.

UEFA are open to a new Champions League format that could be approved by September and put in place for the 2018-19 season. One possibility is a new knockout phase followed by a 16-team group stage split into two divisions of eight, playing 14 games home and away.

It is designed to eliminate the weaker teams early on and guarantee the strongest groups for what would represent the closest step yet to a European Super League, and the most radical change since the Champions League replaced the knockout format of the European Cup 24 years ago.

3276668E00000578-3506811-image-a-1_1458768396089.jpg

+5
Representatives of some Premier League clubs met at the launch of International Champions Cup on Tuesday

As part of this proposal, Europe’s top leagues would have more representatives, with the Premier League seeing a significant increase in the current quota of four qualifiers.

Senior figures from English football’s ‘Big Five’ — the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool — met in London earlier this month to discuss possible formats. They were joined by a representative of Relevent Sports, the US-based company responsible for the International Champions Cup, which has become an important summer competition for England’s top teams.

There is no threat what-soever to the Premier League, with all five clubs wary of compromising the new £5.14billion television deal that comes into effect later this year — not to mention an additional £2.37bn in overseas rights. On the contrary, the changes are being driven by European clubs envious of Premier League riches and determined to earn more from the Champions League.

32763E4600000578-3505258-image-a-4_1458688140502.jpg

+5
Gary McAllister represents Liverpool - one of the clubs who met to discuss new Champions League format

323AA4B100000578-3506811-image-a-18_1458769914810.jpg

+5
Manuel Pellegrini's Manchester City are the only English team still left in this season's Champions League

At present, winning Europe’s top club competition is worth up to £50m. From next season, the Premier League title winners will net £150m. Even the team finishing bottom will receive £100m.

European clubs know a guaranteed total of 14 games would make a major difference to the money generated by the Champions League in terms of ticketing, TV rights and sponsorship deals. The latter work on a three-year cycle and are due for renewal, hence the need to table any proposals in September.

UEFA are ready to accept the changes because, commercially, they know the Champions League is not thriving. They recognise the need for more games involving the bigger clubs rather than sticking with a system that gives the champions of smaller nations a better chance of progressing. Bate Borisov, winners of the Belarus league 10 years in a row, have been held up as a club that could be taken out of the equation at an earlier stage in future.

3245D79800000578-3506811-Vardy_and_Leicester_team_will_come_up_against_the_likes_of_Neyma-a-2_1458769006051.jpg

+5
UEFA are understood to recognise the need for more games involving the bigger clubs such as Barcelona

QUARTER-FINAL DRAW
WOLFSBURG vs REAL MADRID

BAYERN MUNICH vs BENFICA

BARCELONA vs ATLETICO MADRID

PSG vs MANCHESTER CITY

Ties take place on April 5/6 and April 12/13

The new format would be bound to have an impact on the Europa League, although it remains to be seen what form that would take.

Among the changes discussed by the Big Five to accommodate a more demanding Champions League schedule are scrapping FA Cup replays and implementing a one-week winter break after the busy Christmas programme.

However, the Capital One Cup would not be under threat because Premier League clubs value the opportunity it gives them to play fringe players, and also because the timing of fixtures through to the final works well in the schedule.

The most delicate issue is how to combine a tougher Champions League with the increasing demands of domestic football. That remains a tough balancing act because it has been proven that the success of the Premier League makes it harder for English clubs to compete in Europe.

EUROPA LEAGUE DRAW
Braga vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Villarreal vs Sparta Prague

Athletic Bilbao vs Sevilla

Borussia Dortmund vs Liverpool

Ties will be played on April 7 and April 14

The emergence of Leicester City, Tottenham and West Ham as title contenders this season has underlined the higher levels of competition in the Premier League, and the difficulty the top clubs have experienced in balancing their commitments at home and abroad.

Privately, the Premier League’s top clubs accept that in future they will effectively have to stock two separate teams of players to cope with the demands of domestic and European football.

For them, the challenge is about to get a whole lot harder.

FFS Liverpool whilst 5 time winners of the European Cup/Champions League have been in it once since about 2010. They are hardly a team playing regularly in it and should not even be in the discussion.

Plus the sooner these financially crooked teams disappear the better.

FFS Liverpool whilst 5 time winners of the European Cup/Champions League have been in it once since about 2010. They are hardly a team playing regularly in it and should not even be in the discussion.

Plus the sooner these financially crooked teams disappear the better.

What's funny is even with an increased number of PL clubs getting into the knockout stage Liverpool still probably wouldn't qualify......I can't see it being more than 5 or 6 from any one league.

What's funny is even with an increased number of PL clubs getting into the knockout stage Liverpool still probably wouldn't qualify......I can't see it being more than 5 or 6 from any one league.

They have turned into us from the days of our delusion of being a side that challenged for things by spending stupid money on players that aren't very good.

Thank fuck for Poch and his proper strategy!

Back
Top Bottom