European super league

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I seen the sun are reporting the English 'big 5' clubs (not Spurs natch) are in talk over euro breakaway league. So that explains where all the Spursy might have gone- we finally start getting somewhere then they go home and take their ball with them!nthey obviously want it like NFL.
In a way I hope it happens, that way all those glory hunting fans can deal with being mid table or worse every season.

I seen the sun are reporting the English 'big 5' clubs (not Spurs natch) are in talk over euro breakaway league. So that explains where all the Spursy might have gone- we finally start getting somewhere then they go home and take their ball with them!nthey obviously want it like NFL.
In a way I hope it happens, that way all those glory hunting fans can deal with being mid table or worse every season.

Can't see it happening personally. Think English clubs would get a worse deal than the PL

Financially it makes perfect sense. As for what it would do (whatever is left of) an old school and romantic (for lack of a better word at this hour) notion of what football is, I don't think many words are needed.

I realize money talks, but as I remember it from when it's come up previously, the sticking point isn't the finances and whether the big clubs want to. They do want to very much. Rather it's the way all of football is structured. Despite FIFA's recent huge troubles, they're still a power house. UEFA answer to FIFA, and the FA (in England and elsewhere) are members of FIFA and UEFA. Meaning that there's a number of problems. UEFA won't allow clubs to participate in their own side show along with the Champions League. And they'll probably threathen to kick the FA out of FIFA and UEFA if they (the FA) sanction clubs to participate in a side show and the PL. Finally meaning that any player from these clubs won't play the World Cup and Euros.

So it isn't just setting it up. Far from it. It would mean restructuring all of football and taking all the power away from FIFA and UEFA. Would have been impossible a few years ago, but Blatter's and his friends' greed might just have opened a door for greedy clubs. Still can't see it happening though!

Fuck off you cunts.

The more yanks that buy up English clubs the more likely this will happen IMO, but it will still be a way off.
Possibly the saving grace will be the member owned clubs like Bayern, Real & Barca.

"Secret" talks to "leave" a competition that they won't even be invited to next season. Fucking laughable.

And then there's Woolwich, whose participation I can only assume signals their final surrender to any shade of implication that they have any ambition to actually advance in the damn tournament.

Last edited:
"Secret" talks to "leave" a competition that they won't even be invited to next season. Fucking laughable.

And then there's Woolwich, whose participation I can only assume signals their final surrender to any shade of implication that they have any ambition to actually advance in the damn tournament.

It's not laughable.

Because it's not about sporting credentials but rather investment solidity and brand value AND sponsorship ties.

Oh really? Well that makes even less sense- an arbitrary collection of unchanging clubs in a Separate European league as well as domestic leagues? Sounds daft.

Hopefully they break away and go the way of NFL Europe and disappear without a trace. Imagine when the money dries up when no one wants to watch the same teams in the same competition every year?

Back
Top Bottom