European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
screen-shot-2015-06-11-at-4-08-03-pm.png
Surely Spurs are West Coast, which means we get claim to the better rap.

:baletroll:

Yes they 100% are, by moving in to a competition not recognised by UEFA or FIFA.

Even playing in a pub Sunday league has to be recognised by your county FA, which feeds into FA, UEFA and ultimately FIFA.

Clubs even have to seek permission from UEFA to play international friendlies.

If the FIFA/UEFA banning players threat happens, players will have strong legal case to walk for nothing if they so desire.
No it doesn't. Absolutely nothing stopping you from forming a league and playing matches.

Out of interest, what has given you the impression that Harry Kane is some selfless martyr of the greater ideals of football? You seem so sure that he's just gonna set millions of pounds on fire to play for Queen and country...why? Because he's a nice polite bloke with a sharp haircut?
Nope. I just think he wants to play for England that is all, throwaway comment.
Pointless argument though, as I said hypothetical in a hypothetical, and I don't think UEFA could ban players from competing legally anyway .

Yes they 100% are, by moving in to a competition not recognised by UEFA or FIFA.

Even playing in a pub Sunday league has to be recognised by your county FA, which feeds into FA, UEFA and ultimately FIFA.

Clubs even have to seek permission from FA, UEFA and the opponents FA to play international friendlies.

If the FIFA/UEFA banning players threat happens, players will have strong legal case to walk for nothing if they so desire.
Maybe but I wouldn't get my hopes up - I haven't forgotten the downing of tools against Newcastle when we lost like 5-1 against 10 men or something to allow Woolwich to overtake us on the final day of the season.

This is just football going Globalist rather than just global.

Except Lamela, he fought like a man - if walks KING SHIT.

Because even UEFA and FA were corrupt, they still had league title and CL title as something traditional.

Winning ESL means shit noe, but maybe that will change in the future.

Although I don't like the idea, I would rather had us in it then out.

Who care about winning ANYTHING in a league you don't have to qualify for let alone can be relegated from.

Fuck that this.

No it doesn't. Absolutely nothing stopping you from forming a league and playing matches.
Not if players want to be insured, have a disciplinary system and a qualified referee.
Of course if you want to have a kickabout with your mates and use jumpers as goalposts, no, but any organised league, every club and every player has to be registered with county FA, which ultimately feeds into FIFA.

I could get on board with it if it really was an updated version of the CL, but the absence of any promotion or relegation makes the thing so pointless.

We’ll spend the next two decades just mooching around in a lavishly paid hinterland where we get beaten in the new super league and then play meaningless matches in the PL. There is no Top 4, nothing to aspire to.

It’s just a shit sporting framework.
It's a negotiation, so I could see some weaksauce pro/rel added in the mix:

-16 teams (2 groups of 8) - 14 group stage matches. Top 5 in each group move to knockouts and guaranteed spot in next seasons Super League regardless of domestic campaign. First season is the 16 founding members.

-Bottom 6 teams "relegated" to the Champions League Pot 1.

-Super League invites champions of Top 5 Leagues and CL winner.

-All TV revenues, rights and negotiations done by the Super League teams and is split between the clubs participating in Super League with UEFA taking a (very) small cut with the previous season's top 10 having a larger share.

This is would still be a huge win for the mega-clubs who will likely be in this competition every year regardless BUT also keeps the veil of respectability that keeps the whole thing from falling apart.

Back
Top Bottom