European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Whole thing is murky but with the power of City’s money, the likes of Levy. None of this would have happened without lawyers war gaming. I suspect a compromise will be reached eventually.

The governments nuclear option would be to force 51% fan ownership on the club to prevent it. The main underlying problem though is wages, they are not sustainable and clubs like Barca and Madrid even are being killed.

A salary cap is needed and is the elephant in the room.
Not sure this solves anything. Then the owners just need to figure out a way to buy 1% of the fan vote.

The question for me is does Levy and ENIC now start to fund the team on a level competitive with the others. Because previously they haven't done.

Now we have all this money, where will it go? It will be pretty sad if we go into this league and become whipping boys because ENIC still try to make bricks out of straw.

A leopard doesn’t change his spots. Wider issue is our choice of managers and recruitment is a mess.

But the core of my argument is that the NFL model minimises or almost entirely eradicates financial risk for Fat Cat owners.

Two simple examples. Daniel Snyder @ Washington & the Woody Johnson clan at the NY Jets have served up shite to their fanbase for decades. But they've still made an absolute fortune from TV rights, merchandise sales, & simply from being owners of one of the NFL franchises with little or no risk.

This is what the ESL model is striving towards. The Fat Cat owners continue to make huge profits year on year whether their team sucks or not.

Bingo.

And all the supporters who still support it because "seeing the best football", "winning trophies" or even "keeping Harry Kane" are fucking hillarious.

On what grounds can he do that?
He could retire from football, otherwise he is under contract to Spurs unless both parties agree to terminate surely?

Not if it could be claimed, as I am sure some would argue, that his contract has been frustrated by Spurs taking a unilateral decision that means he cannot play for his country anymore,

In those circumstances he could potentially walk away for nothing

Im not as convinced by the "negotiating tactic" line of thinking as others. The way this has gone down bridges have been fucking exploded, not just burnt.
Anyone who thinks this is a negotiating tactic is wrong.

Manchester United and Juventus are listed on the stock exchange.

Issuing statements that aren't true is a criminal offence. Ed Woodward would end up in prison.

This is 100% happening.

Not if it could be claimed, as I am sure some would argue, that his contract has been frustrated by Spurs taking a unilateral decision that means he cannot play for his country anymore,

In those circumstances he could potentially walk away for nothing
If he can't play for England that would be a decision by the FA. Spurs aren't stopping him.

On what grounds can he do that?
He could retire from football, otherwise he is under contract to Spurs unless both parties agree to terminate surely?
No, it is not like that anymore. He could leave now ( 3 years after signing) but he would have to pay the club a lot of money (see Neymar). There may be punishment if leaving before that (6 months ban max). Again, I don't know anything about football contracts, but I assume there is something about allowing players to play for their national teams. That could be a way out. I am sure there are plenty of legal arguments to get out of the contract. However in the framework of UEFA/FIFA the main argument would be Kane having "just cause". I assume UEFA would agree this is a just cause.

Last edited:
If he can't play for England that would be a decision by the FA. Spurs aren't stopping him.

Yes they 100% are, by moving in to a competition not recognised by UEFA or FIFA.

Even playing in a pub Sunday league has to be recognised by your county FA, which feeds into FA, UEFA and ultimately FIFA.

Clubs even have to seek permission from FA, UEFA and the opponents FA to play international friendlies.

If the FIFA/UEFA banning players threat happens, players will have strong legal case to walk for nothing, to a non-ESL club if they so desire.

Last edited:
As i have said in thread earlier;

If you were still in elite level orPL football up to this point I just assumed that you had already parked your moral compass.

Shafting the rest of the pyramid with the PL. ECL going to four teams. Shirt prices. 3rd kits. 4th Kits. Charging kids to be mascots. Fixture changing for TV. Sky, BT, Amazon, the 39th game. Parachute payments. Quatar. Spotswashing, levereged takeovers, FFP, £200k per week, the cheese room.......

Yet people choose this, people choose now to be outraged. I just dont get it. why now? why not the above? Doesnt bother me. I'm glad were in it.
Because even UEFA and FA were corrupt, they still had league title and CL title as something traditional.

Winning ESL means shit noe, but maybe that will change in the future.

Although I don't like the idea, I would rather had us in it then out.

UEFA president comes across like a nut.

salt bae ban GIF

Yes they 100% are, by moving in to a competition not recognised by UEFA or FIFA.

Even playing in a pub Sunday league has to be recognised by your county FA, which feeds into FA, UEFA and ultimately FIFA.

If the FIFA/UEFA banning players threat happens, players will have strong legal case to walk for nothing if they so desire.
In essence, one mafia faction (the ESL 12) have decided to stop kicking up to the other older mafia factions who don't even graft anymore, just sitting around on their bollocks all day getting fat.

Back
Top Bottom