European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Unless, as someone else on here suggested, that they contact the other 14 clubs and form a new league. Just as they did with the PL.
Promise the other clubs more money than they have now, and keep the Super League money for themselves.
That would leave the FA in limbo, no league, no clubs, nothing. The FA would then have to sanction the new league.
What i can definitely see is a ESL league 2 with clubs like Leicester, Everton, Newcastle, Villa all guaranteed European football qualification in the same way as ESL league 1. Then the winner (or top 2) of that league gets into the ESL proper the following season.

The other 14 PL clubs might be feigning outrage now but don't believe that a shit ton of money won't suddenly make that go away.

We are definitely not in it just to be whipping boys.

Just look our performance record against the rest of the big six over the last decade............

oh, no......hang on that cant be right..... Daniel... Dan...

It sounds like it should work like that doesn't it, however if you look at the championships by team in the NFL in the years since the premier league started (below) - it is 16 different teams - exactly 50% of the entire league. Almost makes the championship look uncompetitive.

Premier league? 7 Champions. Most wins is United with 13, over double what New England have won.

The thing is that the NFL, NBA, AFL and other similar model leagues (relegation concept is surprisingly rare in sports leagues outside of football - not just in America) address the risks upfront by trying to ensure equality for example through CBA in the NBA which redistributes overspends against the salary cap. Meanwhile the rules ensure teams don't underpay players. This ensures a level plainfield and by eliminating the need for transfer fees it means there's no possibility of an Abramovich or Citeh, again maintaining clarity.

The lack of any such system in football is why transfer fees exist. The threat of relegation means teams can't just "rebuild". In US sports sometimes if teams see no route to win they trade their best assets and go into a 4-5 year rebuild (Knicks just coming good after a decade long one now), acquiring draft picks for their best players on 4 year rookie contracts to start over. In football you couldn't do that due to relegation threat - so teams are forced to spend 100-200mil to finish 16th. It's ridiculous and less competitive than the non-football systems as shown in the number of champions in the time period. This is because the financial requirement for survival in current European football models is so high that anything above and beyond that - to even think about competing for titles - is utterly prohibitive. Hence why barely any teams have ever won it.

Spain is even worse. Juve have won 9 in a row. France and Germany usually a one horse race.

The data just doesn't support what you're saying, but I agree that inuitively the football "grass roots" model sounds better the truth is in practice it's way less competitive.

I'm open minded to change.

Edit: Also added the NBA, won by 11 different teams - 50% more than the premier league in same period. Most wins by Lakers (still half as many as United have). I get a lot of the concerns about super league, but data from sports all around the world over many years proves the hypothesis that relegation = competitive is false. Therefore, arguments against the super league should take a new angle cos trust me, the big boys have their spreadsheets ready!

TeamChampionships
New England
6​
Dallas
3​
Denver
3​
Baltimore
2​
Green Bay
2​
New York
2​
Pittsburgh
2​
Tampa Bay
2​
Indianapolis
1​
Kansas City
1​
New Orleans
1​
Philadelphia
1​
San Francisco
1​
Seattle
1​
St Louis
1​
Washington
1​

NBA:

TeamChampionships
Los Angeles
6​
Chicago
5​
San Antonio
5​
Golden State
3​
Miami
3​
Houston
2​
Boston
1​
Cleveland
1​
Dallas
1​
Detroit
1​
Toronto
1​
But the core of my argument is that the NFL model minimises or almost entirely eradicates financial risk for Fat Cat owners.

Two simple examples. Daniel Snyder @ Washington & the Woody Johnson clan at the NY Jets have served up shite to their fanbase for decades. But they've still made an absolute fortune from TV rights, merchandise sales, & simply from being owners of one of the NFL franchises with little or no risk.

This is what the ESL model is striving towards. The Fat Cat owners continue to make huge profits year on year whether their team sucks or not.

Time for a football revolution.

the simpsons art GIF by hoppip

Very un-Spursy. Normally it would be us being booted out but this season we are so shit we got kicked out already and won’t be qualifying anyway so it sort of worked out.

What i can definitely see is a ESL league 2 with clubs like Leicester, Everton, Newcastle, Villa all guaranteed European football qualification in the same way as ESL league 1. Then the winner (or top 2) of that league gets into the ESL proper the following season.

The other 14 PL clubs might be feigning outrage now but don't believe that a shit ton of money won't suddenly make that go away.
I can't see that.

How would it work. Only two Spanish clubs so they won't agree to relegation. Neither would any of the English clubs.

Won't happen because these clubs simply don't attract the viewers and therefore revenue required to justify paying them anything more than could be achieved on Eurosport.

Lots of people watch Tottenham regardless of our lack of Champions League & trophies.
Probably rival fans as half the Premier League seem to regard us as some kind of direct rival or derby - but they tune in and watch regardless.

As much as I dont want this monstrosity to happen, the poor wont be stopped from playing the game though ,will they?
It’s not about them playing the game but following their team....Football was always about social interactions....But this isn’t new, average fans have long since been priced out of football....People who think we will be buying all the great players now are kind of right, but at what cost, those players will get paid extreme amounts of money per week because the demand for them heavily outweighs the supply........Indian Premier League Cricket style!!

The Government banding about the idea of taxing this out of existence. Not sure how I feel about that. They haven't cared about the corruption in football going on before.

Get to fuck. First game in 1978. ST holder through the 1980's and the dross of the 1990's.

You trying to decide that people who dont agree with you are't real supporters is pathetic. Grow the fuck up you melt.
Didn't even read the thread, just what I saw online.
Ehy are you for this, I cannot understand it.

Back
Top Bottom