European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
I can see teams in ESL ( or more likely world super league of 20 teams) would be exclued from FIFA/UEFA but the players could easily move between ESL and FIFA when their contracts end

Just out of interest, would the feeling be any different if there was 'promotion' and 'relegation' from the ESL?

Lots of hate and most being about it being a closed shop and killing competition so if it started with the announced teams, but was then run on competitive merit, does that change feelings?
They’ve said that will be the case... with spaces open for qualification.

Just out of interest, would the feeling be any different if there was 'promotion' and 'relegation' from the ESL?

Lots of hate and most being about it being a closed shop and killing competition so if it started with the announced teams, but was then run on competitive merit, does that change feelings?
If it replaced the Champions League and had the European Cup as it's trophy, and was a competition, not a closed shop for the greedy powerful 12, then yes it would be a possible alternative to consider.

Football is about tradition and generational support, so to tear up a competition (the European Cup and CL) of over 70 years because of greed and ruin the competitive part is unthinkable.

Well fact of the matter is that clubs like ours have suffered massively due to the current system and losing 100s of millions due to Covid and can't afford to be charitable.

No one is paying 150 pounds a year to watch Olympiakos v Slavia Prague and UEFA brought this upon themselves by not compromising in the CL revamp.

A totally closed league isn't fair or fun, probably, but UEFA should have met the mega clubs in the middle rather than just give the status quo full support. The system is antiquated and needs updating, this just gave the clubs the opportunity to take it all.

Millions of Czech and Greek people will probably pay to see their clubs in the CL. For many Norwegians like me, Rosenborg made CL interesting in the late nineties. Watching them play clubs on the level of Olympiakos and Slavia Prague was great. The games were often entertaining, and also served as an important reminder of the quality we were witnessing when watching two actual giants play.

On this very forum you can observe what happens when fans becomes too spoiled. People are discussing how "shit" the players are. Players who are internationals for some of the best nations in the world, who have made it into the squad of one of the very best clubs in the world! In the most played and one of the best paid sports. They are not shit. They are unrealistically brilliant. Even our worst player is of 1 in a million quality. But we lose sight of it, because we spend too much time watching PSG vs Bayern Munich, and too little time watching Olympiakos vs Slavia Prague or Viking vs Brann or Telford vs Morecombe.

If the reports are true, UEFA has bent over and had the continental cups fucked in the arse by some of the "Mega clubs". Football does not and most certainly should not revolve around them. In football, anyones place at the top should be earned, not owned.

What's wrong with Champions League?

I don't mind it as it gives chances to clubs from nations without a rich domestic league a chance to compete against the very best.
For example Ajax have a rich history but aren't affluent in comparison to the top PL teams. CL gave Ajax a chance and they reached SF in 2019. European Super League would completely shut teams like Ajax out.
What's wrong with the CL is that over the years it has expanded so much that it now has a detrimental effect on our national league, the bedrock of the game. Only the richer teams, with large squads, have a chance of getting to the final stages. Sadly, this applies to all aspects of the game these days.

Whoever mentiond greed, earlier in the thread, got it right. The 'owners' of the game are just a bunch of selfish, greedy businessmen (including, of course, the TV companies) and the 'custodians' are, at best, toothless, out-of-touch simpletons. At their worst, they're in collusion with the 'owners'.

My own problem is that my heart is shaped like a cockerel and I bleed blue & white blood, so whatever happens I'm Tottenham till I die. For what it's worth, I voted 'No'.

So 3.5 billion euros to each club to join this league because of Covid, that's 21.5 billion euros to the top 6 clubs instead of trying to save the club's who aren't going to exist after covid.

Fucking disgusting if that's what that means.
That 21 billion is not going to the grass roots whether this thing happens or not though.

That would be preferable for me but if that's the case why do we get to star in it first season?

What's wrong with the CL is that over the years it has expanded so much that it now has a detrimental effect on our national league, the bedrock of the game. Only the richer teams, with large squads, have a chance of getting to the final stages. Sadly, this applies to all aspects of the game these days.

Whoever mentiond greed, earlier in the thread, got it right. The 'owners' of the game are just a bunch of selfish, greedy businessmen (including, of course, the TV companies) and the 'custodians' are, at best, toothless, out-of-touch simpletons. At their worst, they're in collusion with the 'owners'.

My own problem is that my heart is shaped like a cockerel and I bleed blue & white blood, so whatever happens I'm Tottenham till I die. For what it's worth, I voted 'No'.
UEFA should have tried to implement a wage cap years ago and that Financial Fair Play went out the window when Man City we're let off.

Although this would've happened years ago if a wage cap was instilled in the European leagues.

Back
Top Bottom