European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
you can see it working money wise each club could sell their own games,
if they sell them low enough that folks won't watch priate feeds (C/s or IPTV etc) then they are on a winner,
£50 for whole season to 10 M people = £500m, Man U saw they have 600M supporters worldwide imagine if they got 100m at £50 a year, and thats every year
the players won't be millionaires they would be billionaires no more getting the bus to work for them

Already asked and unless we find some benefactor doesn't seem like we'll ever see even a German style club model.

We're being priced out at every turn.
It doesn't need to be a top tier co-op like the Deutsche clubs. No reason why 30K spurs supporters can't start a club and push it to league 1\Chmpo without massive funds

well, we are being laughed at as per usual. Everyone laughs at our expense and now it’s taking the piss out of us being this small club trying to be amongst the elite. We always get ripped to shreds as a club
Woken up to an avalanche of posts, texts etc ripping the piss out of Spurs.
It’s not just that we are being laughed at, the point being rammed home is that we don’t deserve to be at the very top table. 1961 - an albatross around all of our necks. Where are the invitations for Forest and Villa? Leeds, Derby, Ipswich, Leicester and Blackburn have all won the league since we have. Makes them bigger than us no? Porto, Benfica, Marseille, Ajax, Dortmund, Seville to name but a few have far more European pedigree than Spurs. Embarrassing

Well fact of the matter is that clubs like ours have suffered massively due to the current system and losing 100s of millions due to Covid and can't afford to be charitable.

No one is paying 150 pounds a year to watch Olympiakos v Slavia Prague and UEFA brought this upon themselves by not compromising in the CL revamp.

A totally closed league isn't fair or fun, probably, but UEFA should have met the mega clubs in the middle rather than just give the status quo full support. The system is antiquated and needs updating, this just gave the clubs the opportunity to take it all.
There is no middle ground, no half way. That was just a negotiating tactic. These clubs want the lot. This is just them taking a shortcut.

Imagine a split in international federations over whether or not the players could play and the ESL just starting a "World League"
Expect the NTs would stick with UEFA (in which they have some say) as they really have nothing to gain from ESL while they would be at the mercy of the participant clubs for player releases.

PL might struggle to kick out 6 clubs, but dont think La Liga and Serie A will hesistate much. Add the potential restrictions on player transfers and possibly NT snubs for participant players and things could get difficult for ESL really quickly. I just dont see the ESL surviving as a standalone.

Will be interesting to see who has the last laugh.

The only thing funnier than the club is the supporters. We’ve enabled every disastrous move the club has ever made, whilst claiming that WE are the club. We’ll fall in line, we always do.

People talk about oh theres going to be more money for the clubs. Yes that's true but what will happen to the transfer fees? A player like Harry Kane his transfer fee will now rise from 150 mil to 400 mil. Terrible move by all of these clubs

well, we are being laughed at as per usual. Everyone laughs at our expense and now it’s taking the piss out of us being this small club trying to be amongst the elite. We always get ripped to shreds as a club

True. The difference being I suppose is that I don't give a toss what other clubs fans think. Let's be honest, they are just jealous they weren't invited.

Fuck em

look at state of the Goons? When did they last qualify for the CL ffs

I love how in their statement they have capitalised their use of the "Founding Clubs", like it is a biblical divine right.

Have no doubt, this is not about financial stability for the pyramid, it is a designed financial closed shop for the greedy 12 who cant get relegated THEY CANT GET RELEGATED!

I'll be done with football if this gets through.

Woken up to an avalanche of posts, texts etc ripping the piss out of Spurs.
It’s not just that we are being laughed at, the point being rammed home is that we don’t deserve to be at the very top table. 1961 - an albatross around all of our necks. Where are the invitations for Forest and Villa? Leeds, Derby, Ipswich, Leicester and Blackburn have all won the league since we have. Makes them bigger than us no? Porto, Benfica, Marseille, Ajax, Dortmund, Seville to name but a few have far more European pedigree than Spurs. Embarrassing

We are involved because the football world respect Levy, he's dragged us from being from the verge of relegation for a decade to being in the top 10 biggest clubs.

What would be embarrassing would be to left out of this entirely.

I 100% don't want it to happen, but if it does I 100% want us to be involved.

So what? I am against this development but couldn't give a fuck what other fans think of us. We have always been hated. Why do you think we are the main rivals of West Ham, Chelsea and Woolwich? It was the closing of ranks against other teams that made us different and better than them. Although there probably aren't enough dinosaurs like me left to make a stand.
In that case why do you give a fuck about what our fans think of you? What inspires you to post?

People talk about oh theres going to be more money for the clubs. Yes that's true but what will happen to the transfer fees? A player like Harry Kane his transfer fee will now rise from 150 mil to 400 mil. Terrible move by all of these clubs
Transfers between these top clubs will be more rare but they will be able to buy from smaller clubs more easily due to the larger difference in revenues

Just out of interest, would the feeling be any different if there was 'promotion' and 'relegation' from the ESL?

Lots of hate and most being about it being a closed shop and killing competition so if it started with the announced teams, but was then run on competitive merit, does that change feelings?

Expect the NTs would stick with UEFA (in which they have some say) as they really have nothing to gain from ESL while they would be at the mercy of the participant clubs for player releases.

PL might struggle to kick out 6 clubs, but dont think La Liga and Serie A will hesistate much. Add the potential restrictions on player transfers and possibly NT snubs for participant players and things could get difficult for ESL really quickly. I just dont see the ESL surviving as a standalone.

Will be interesting to see who has the last laugh.
My bet it’s the opposite and the ESL flourishes

without Barca and Real, La Liga will fold.... tv rights for the remainers will be far less

Back
Top Bottom