European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
So, it gets me thinking how this all works. Essentially it replaces the Champions League.

Top xx teams in each domestic league go into a domestic play-off competition. Winner of each domestic league then goes into a further knockout qualification games with the top 5 heading into the ESL the following season.

I can see why the TV and clubs are licking their lips.

The race for top 6 to get into domestic play-offs.
The Domestic play offs.
The European play offs.
The ESL league.
The ESL knockouts.
The ESL Final.
The ESL playoffs (to determine 1 of the 5 guests stay up)

So........

(a) What is the POINT of teams in the ESL competing in their domestic competitions? Since the prize is European qualification; those who have automatic entry have no purpose in the domestic cup.
(b) So the 5 wildcards in the ESL get automatically relegated each year? I guess whichever of the 5 guests finish highest stays up (hey, lets have another play-off comp!) - which means 4 spots are available.

So, it gets me thinking how this all works. Essentially it replaces the Champions League.

Top xx teams in each domestic league go into a domestic play-off competition. Winner of each domestic league then goes into a further knockout qualification games with the top 5 heading into the ESL the following season.

I can see why the TV and clubs are licking their lips.

The race for top 6 to get into domestic play-offs.
The Domestic play offs.
The European play offs.
The ESL league.
The ESL knockouts.
The ESL Final.
The ESL playoffs (to determine 1 of the 5 guests stay up)

So........

(a) What is the POINT of teams in the ESL competing in their domestic competitions? Since the prize is European qualification; those who have automatic entry have no purpose in the domestic cup.
(b) So the 5 wildcards in the ESL get automatically relegated each year? I guess whichever of the 5 guests finish highest stays up (hey, lets have another play-off comp!) - which means 4 spots are available.
Right now it sounds like they're going to try and form their own cup competition with the hopes of being allowed to play in theur current domestic teams but if the league's hold steady then it sounds like the ESL are ready to fork their own league after they can find 20 teams altogether.

It'll basically be an European MLS

...says the Yank with a Staples center avatar photo.

Fuck off with your US style leagues and play offs and drafts. It's boring. "Let's be the worst team in the league so we can get the best player next year"

This is football mate. You fuck up, you lose out. Winning means something. It needs to mean something.
I actually don’t think he’s a Yank. Either way he’s a consistently shit poster.

This really is where we're at now, isn't it?
65217-brass-tacks-on-coffin-st.-louis-republic-st.-louis-missouri-22-november-1900.png

This isn't only sad for the football world, for fans of the 12 involved, it's utterly depressing and a little confusing....

I just don't know who or WHAT I support any more....

Last edited:
Thinking about it, I reckon Mourinhos appointment at Spurs was a tactical masterstroke by Levy.... HE knew this was coming, and just wanted to soften the pill by putting spurs fans out of love with football a year earlier than everyone else!

Can't you see...? he was PROTECTING US!

Imagine if we still had Poch, and we're riding the feelgood wave of an optimistic future... then THIS bombshell comes crashing down. We'd all be 100x more diatrught than we already are.

For me, the dream and magic of football was shattered with Mourinhos arrival....
This ESL just cements what we already knew/feared about the reality and true state of modern football.

Even if it doesn't go through, we all now know which mast Levys colours are nailed to.... the GREEN ONE!

It's easy to be cynical, but let's not pretend our current system is perfect. The EPL is rigged so that the wealthiest team wins.

1. With the exception of 1 off Leicester and Blackburn wins, the same 5 teams have won it since its inception 29 years ago, with united having 13 of them.

2. Players are playing 60+ games a season and then forced into international duty. Half them retiring with awful injuries by the time they are 30.

3. Look at the curruption and Bribery within Fifa, especially around the awarding of the World Cup and international games.

4. Var a shambles and nobody seems to agree what the actual rules are.

As I said yesterday, this is the natural culmination of the race for money started in 1992 with the advent of the Premier League and then the Champions League and 4th placed teams gaining entry to it.

I am not in the least bit surprised. It was almost inevitable. The globalisation of the game and ever increasing TV revenues has meant that the match going fan has become almost irrelevant. The pandemic has shown you can have a competition with no fans in attendance.

Many of us have been disenchanted with the path top level football has been on for some time regarding ticket costs, changing kick off times and days for the global TV audience and the prioritisation of Tourists over long term die hard fans.

I am numb to it. Apathetic. But certainly not surprised.

Florentino Pérez Real Madrid President “ Football is the only global sport with more than 4 billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires”.

Who told this cunt that those 4 billion fans wanted this?

We're already the laughing stock of a league that's less than 12 hours old. Great start.

So what? I am against this development but couldn't give a fuck what other fans think of us. We have always been hated. Why do you think we are the main rivals of West Ham, Chelsea and Woolwich? It was the closing of ranks against other teams that made us different and better than them. Although there probably aren't enough dinosaurs like me left to make a stand.

can't see it working with just 12 clubs but 20 clubs worldwide and it works for the clubs involved
it would be completely away for Fifa/uefa, if you play for one of the 20 clubs you don't play for anyone else but when your contact runs out you can come back to normal football
they would have their own rule book not the FIfa rules

As I said yesterday, this is the natural culmination of the race for money started in 1992 with the advent of the Premier League and then the Champions League and 4th placed teams gaining entry to it.

I am not in the least bit surprised. It was almost inevitable. The globalisation of the game and ever increasing TV revenues has meant that the match going fan has become almost irrelevant. The pandemic has shown you can have a competition with no fans in attendance.

Many of us have been disenchanted with the path top level football has been on for some time regarding ticket costs, changing kick off times and days for the global TV audience and the prioritisation of Tourists over long term die hard fans.

I am numb to it. Apathetic. But certainly not surprised.
It's more than speed that it happened. Trying to put bits and pieces together but it sounds like this has been in the serious planning stages for the last two years and the last 24 hours have seen it accelerated because of a disagreement with UEFA over the new champions league format. Even some football executives (not named) are saying that it was basically a phone call saying "This is happening, it's happening now, and if you don't want in now we're going to leave you behind." Most of the club's in the ESL are in huge financial trouble as it is and no one could say no to the €3.5 billion they would receieve just for signing on.

Basically we were half blackmailed and half bribed to agree to this somewhat overnight.

can't see it working with just 12 clubs but 20 clubs worldwide and it works for the clubs involved
it would be completely away for Fifa/uefa, if you play for one of the 20 clubs you don't play for anyone else but when your contact runs out you can come back to normal football
they would have their own rule book not the FIfa rules
Imagine a split in international federations over whether or not the players could play and the ESL just starting a "World League"

So what? I am against this development but couldn't give a fuck what other fans think of us. We have always been hated. Why do you think we are the main rivals of West Ham, Chelsea and Woolwich? It was the closing of ranks against other teams that made us different and better than them. Although there probably aren't enough dinosaurs like me left to make a stand.

well, we are being laughed at as per usual. Everyone laughs at our expense and now it’s taking the piss out of us being this small club trying to be amongst the elite. We always get ripped to shreds as a club

It's more than speed that it happened. Trying to put bits and pieces together but it sounds like this has been in the serious planning stages for the last two years and the last 24 hours have seen it accelerated because of a disagreement with UEFA over the new champions league format. Even some football executives (not named) are saying that it was basically a phone call saying "This is happening, it's happening now, and if you don't want in now we're going to leave you behind." Most of the club's in the ESL are in huge financial trouble as it is and no one could say no to the €3.5 billion they would receieve just for signing on.

Basically we were half blackmailed and half bribed to agree to this somewhat overnight.

We have been involved in this since at least 2018 . Dee speigel reported it then I think. Maybe earlier

Well fact of the matter is that clubs like ours have suffered massively due to the current system and losing 100s of millions due to Covid and can't afford to be charitable.

No one is paying 150 pounds a year to watch Olympiakos v Slavia Prague and UEFA brought this upon themselves by not compromising in the CL revamp.

A totally closed league isn't fair or fun, probably, but UEFA should have met the mega clubs in the middle rather than just give the status quo full support. The system is antiquated and needs updating, this just gave the clubs the opportunity to take it all.

Back
Top Bottom