European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters

Good idea but a bit of closing the stable after the horse has bolted feel to it.

Tories are so reactive and not proactive when it comes to things.

The big clubs have been threatening to throw a bomb into the building for 30 years and now everyone is trying to prevent the explosion after it's already gone off. Typical from all parties.

Well, the first league was actually created by the rich team owners so that their workers could give them their money back on the weekend...
spider-man-1591144140.gif

Quite right! This is why there's no hope of stopping this juggernaut. (I can totally believe this is real: they're not saying anything that's not obvious or that I, and others, haven't already said.)

You telling me players like Pogba, Bale, Neymar, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic etc wouldn't prioritise winning what would become the most prestigious club competition in the world, whilst also earning obscene salaries from clubs that will be given 3.5 billion to spend? The top player agents will be stiff as boards right now.

Money talks in football, always has. Some players are prepared to go for China for it, others will leave clubs they support etc. but the wages will be significantly higher in this Super League. Lets not kid ourselves listening to morons like Danny Murphy who thinks he would turn his nose up at the idea.

The World Cup is a handful of games every 4 years.. Top players are likely to play what... 20 world cup games over their career if they're fortunate enough to play for a nation that consistently qualifies.
I don’t think love of the game and finances are a binary choice players see. They want both, and rightly so.

If money was the sole motivation more top stars would be playing in China. They go when their star has faded and they can no longer impact the game.

To stereotype all footballers as caring solely about money and not the love of the game is wrong.

If Harry isn’t allowed to play for England he will be inclined to do something about it, that’s for sure.....

There are sides to the establishment of the ESL which are a bit under-communicated in my opinion:

- The bigger the clubs the more cash they bleed due to Covid in absolute terms
- Owners and Clubs are getting desperate because of this. Some have deeper pockets than others, but the figures are appaling
- FIFA, UEFA, National Leagues and National Governments expect the bigger clubs to increase their support of the pyramid through increased redistribution downwards - this will further erode the cash flow of the bigger clubs looking forward
- The cost base is fixed in the medium turn - player wages on running contracts will not be reduced significantly
- Non of the footballing associations are able to come up with viable solutions for the mid-term future due to conflicts of interest and governance problems
- Goverments say sport will have to solve its own financial problems

It is very easy for fans and pundits to moralise about other peoples greed . I have yet to see anyone cough up good ideas to increase revenue or reduce cost.

Public opinion is that owners should shoulder the losses, sell or go bankrupt quietly and passively as they please.

Back
Top Bottom