Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Without going overboard it's safe to say that we have some serious issues commiting to do-or-die games.

Not just cup games. Just as arrogantly, recklessly brilliant we can be when running over City and Chelsea in league games with with nothing but 3 points to lose, just as shit can we be under pressure.

This quality of football is as good as anything in my life at Spurs, but we are far from a very top side. Pretty fucking far.

We were dogshit in all the games, hardly looked up for it. We let them beat us, not the other way around

Maybe they were just better? Which is why they are still in Europe and we've been knocked out of two European competitions before any of them have been knocked out of one.

Maybe they were just better? Which is why they are still in Europe and we've been knocked out of two European competitions before any of them have been knocked out of one.
They were better than us in those games, but do you think we performed anywhere near our true level?

If it shuts you up and stops you posting, I don't care what you have
Your a very abusive member of this forum aren't you. This particular barb wasn't aimed at me, but what I don't get is if certain people's posts upset so you so much why not use the ignore function instead of being so angry all the time

They were better than us in those games, but do you think we performed anywhere near our true level?

No we didn't because of our shambolic depth and the manager not wanting to play full strength until it's too late.

Alderweireld and Kane injuries between didn't help.

Lucky you Mick - we queued for an hour (along with thousands of others), south of the m25, because they'd starting digging up the A1 at 2300, heading north, 3 lanes to 1….
I feel your pain....
Fortunately the journey home round the M25 was pain free. I parked at West Ruislip and used Chiltern rail to get me to wembley. Sadly on the way back the train didn't stop there and I spent an hour bouncing round trains and stations to get back to the car, so really my return journey was 1hr 45m
:pochsulk:

Your a very abusive member of this forum aren't you. This particular barb wasn't aimed at me, but what I don't get is if certain people's posts upset so you so much why not use the ignore function instead of being so angry all the time
What makes you think I'm angry?
Its contempt.

There was no abuse in that post.
I'm continually amazed at how you professional whiners come on here and take all of this negative feedback on your brand of "support" and yet none of you have the common sense to either go elsewhere to peddle your negativity and irritating diatribes, or why it doesn't dawn on you why people might be irritated by the sewage that you post all the time. If its not welcome here then you by default are not welcome - ergo you take a lot of incoming flak.

Stick or twist mate, but don't make me the problem. I supported the club through a relegation, you would have melted into a pool of self indulgent pity had you been around for that.

Last edited:
You're just aching to say "we go again" or even "season of transition" aren't you?

:pochlol:
I know what you mean, I hate those lazy clichés too.
I think a top four finish this year will be a success. And, if it came down to a choice I'd prefer top four to the FA cup.
It's not a choice though, and we should expect to achieve both goals (top four and FA cup). We have the squad for that.

Was at the game last night and have just skimmed the forum. As usual, there's a lot of negativity. Here's my two cents...

We were excellent throughout and it was one of the most entertaining games I've been to. Alli's tackle was rash and clearly deserved the red, though it was one of those situations you could see coming. As soon as he got dispossessed prior to the "tackle", you could see that he was out for blood. Unfortunately, the ball broke loose a couple of seconds after he was first dispossessed and he just lost it. If the ball had of been played up the pitch, he would have had a moment or two to calm down - but it's not the end of the world.

Somehow we still completely dominated the rest of the game and I stayed until the very end to applaud the team (unlike 1/3 of the fans who left when they got the second goal). I was actually pretty disappointed with that mass exodus - I realise Wembley is a pain in the arse to get home from and the queue along Wembley way is ridiculous, but even at 2-2 I genuinely thought we still had a chance. We were so dominant until that point and there was still 10 mins to go. But as soon as their second goal went in, and the fans began flooding out, the heads of the players just went down. They did pick themselves up a bit and gave it a go - but a bit more support wouldn't have gone amiss!

I would have loved to have won this trophy but we can't go back in time - and if there's any positive to come from this, it's that we won't be so overrun with games for the remainder of the season.

Finally - a shout out to the Gent fans. They were tremendous and a really friendly bunch! Maybe next year we'll meet again (in CL with any luck).

Our hotel was full of Gent fans. They were actually a very magnanimous bunch. Had some beers with a few of them after the game. They couldn't quite believe they'd knocked us out. To be fair, nor could I. Still, it was a good night out, result aside. Nice to share a pint with Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor pre match.
Let's smash Stoke on Sunday & wash this nasty taste out of our mouths.
COYS.

Expectations......

Ipswich, Everton x4, Leeds x3, Derby x2, Forest, Villa, Blackburn, Leicester, Liverpool x13, you know the other 4 big clubs

These are all teams who have won title since 1961, I do not understand In a SPORT where it's a moving organism, always changing, that some people I just read say "I have waited so long" "we SHOULD be at top" it just doesn't work like that

When we won double did anyone say "hang on we are Tottenham we are supposed to be a plucky non league side like we were 60 years ago? That's where we SHOULD be"

It's not about the past it's about right now and I am thankful we are competing, some of the posts I read I would expect if we were 14th, now It's about money and we are doing domestically the best we possibly can compared to sides funded by billions. Bring on Stoke

35 minutes there - 25 minutes back, and that included carrying my mate off the train on the return journey. A frustrating night on the pitch, but still a thousand times better than watching at home or in a pub. I love watching Tottenham play, but I accept that we'll lose matches too. This is football.

:pochsulk:

Other 4 BIG clubs. United? City? Woolwich?.......Who's the other one ?
:paulinhobored:

Oh you know the one, the club near Fulham, it didn't exist at all before Matthew Harding got there and then some Russian bought it and subsequently bought the trophies that came with it.

You are right the only thing that is big is the coffers and probably the pay packet of whoever bagged Conte, as those fuckers were sliding

Son was pretty good when he came on. He's the Korean Dean Saunders.

Except Deano usually put away one on ones with their keeper

Sonny looked great when he came on then froze Soldado style just like he did against the Dippers but then so did Harry when clean through

Both game changing moments

Can't blame Poch for those but I will blame him for the treatment Janssen's getting

Back
Top Bottom