Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So disappointing to go out given the line up we went with last night. We were wasteful in front of goal and Delle needs to learn from his reckless challenge, there was no need of it and along with the performance last week, it cost us. Would also be nice if our players could get a cross past the first defender for a change.

On the plus side, credit to the ten who gave it a real go in the second half, I thought at 2-1 we could do it.........Also my daughter's first spurs match, she loved it, the atmosphere in block 544 was great, all fans really getting behind the team.

However I am nervous about next season, I have mixed views on Wembley. When we went ahead last night the noise from the stands when we all sang in unison was incredible, up there with the loudest I have heard us! I am not a fan of the upper tiers though, I felt a bit disconnected from the team, would rather have the closeness of WHL.

Also the traffic getting to Wembley was a nightmare!

I was also in 133 and I noticed there were too many "families" and tourists in the supporters blocks. A father in front of me gave me death glares for cursing in front of his daughter! Wembley is laughable when it comes to generating an atmosphere. Believe I heard three different songs being sung at once...

Did anyone else see the 'altercarion' (it happened in front and to the right of me) where one guy (to the right of me) was giving plenty of abuse along these lines;
You worthless apology of a supporter. You sicken me. If you support a team IT IS FUCKING UNCONDITIONAL. If it comes with conditions you are just an onlooker
So keep your opinions to yourself

Why do fans of Doncaster Rovers or Aldershot keep buying season tickets? For the cups and the European glory nights?

You're just a plastic copy of a supporter.
...to the group of lads directly in front of me, for moaning at the players when a(nother) corner/set-piece came to nothing. His gripe was that they weren't singing (enough?) but the to-and-fro that followed really reminded me of the dark days of fans fighting amongst themselves 'cos there's fuck all else going on to cheer themselves up with.
surely we're better than that, no? (BTW, it wasn't you giving it plenty Mick Cooper Mick Cooper was it??

I do have to say though, when the singing got going, things like 'Come on You Spurs' and 'We are Tottenham, From the Lane'... everyone did get going... maybe it's 'cos they were short and snappy chants that everyone knows...
it's just the sporadic nature of being so spread out, means that songs only got going when (luck) meant a few people in various parts of the ground happened to be starting the same chant at the same time, or some fucker shouted louder than everyone else to be heard...
A loud-hailer would probably work wonders at Wembley... shame whoever had it would probably be told to 'turn it down' by many 'fans' though!!

I think the biggest 'fault' (if you can call it that) when we went 1-0 up, was that it seemed the players (but many of the fans were also guilty of this) thought we would cruise past them from there...
Yes, Eriksen did the right thing by grabbing the ball from the net and planting it firmly on the Centre Spot - always love it when they do that - rather than doing a silly premeditated dance for his 'Twatterface Follwers'... but the 'mood' of celebration around me seemed somewhat subdued... almost like we expected the 2nd, and 3rd (and 4th and 5th) to follow on after it... but of course, they didn't!

Instead, the o.g knocked the stuffing out of us, and just when we managed to get back on our feet, the Red card sent us sprawling again.

Why do we seem to be unable to cope playing with10 men, when a lot of other teams almost thrive on it!! It shouldn't have made that much difference to the formation, effectively Harry was up on his own with Eriksen for support rather than Dele... the rest of the team should've stayed as they were...

Have to say, Son changed the game palpably (coupled with Davies going off)
But I have to agree... bringing Janssen on with 2 minutes to go, still needing 2 goals was a bit of an insult. I wouldn't have expected even Ronaldo or Messi to be able to make an impact in that scenario, let alone Vinny!!

West Ham at home now feels like a once a season 'freak occurrence'... 2 goals in injury time doesn't happen that often!

Last edited:
So disappointing to go out given the line up we went with last night. We were wasteful in front of goal and Delle needs to learn from his reckless challenge, there was no need of it and along with the performance last week, it cost us. Would also be nice if our players could get a cross past the first defender for a change.

On the plus side, credit to the ten who gave it a real go in the second half, I thought at 2-1 we could do it.........Also my daughter's first spurs match, she loved it, the atmosphere in block 544 was great, all fans really getting behind the team.

However I am nervous about next season, I have mixed views on Wembley. When we went ahead last night the noise from the stands when we all sang in unison was incredible, up there with the loudest I have heard us! I am not a fan of the upper tiers though, I felt a bit disconnected from the team, would rather have the closeness of WHL.

Also the traffic getting to Wembley was a nightmare!

I agree about Wembley mate but it's the best result for us it was there or Milton Keynes or heaven forbid the taxpayer meccano bowl , imagine us having to dance to Fat Karen's tune . Wembley is just a means to an end and we'll still have some great days there.

No. but you're supposed to consistently get behind your team it's what separates the supporters from the observers. I also think you need to look at yourself as an observer if you think a Spurs team who are in third position and finished in third position last season are consistently letting the fans down, take it from me (a fan) we aren't being let down please don't speak for the fans again.
Going out of the Europa League to Gent, crashing out of the chl in a fairly easy group, bottling finishing above Woolwich losing to already relegated Newcastle are all letting the fans down

What's everyone melting for... it's only the Mickey Mouse cup right..... :levyeyes:
in all seriousness tho haven't had chance to read through the match forum, got back late from Wembley, I thought in the 2nd half we came out and showed a lot of passion, just don't know how we didn't manage to convert some more chances, and after our second goals actually felt a bit of atmosphere in the stadium! But I guess it weren't to be, and the Wembley curse continues, or is it a BT sport curse? Can't actually every remover us winning a game that is on BT sport (apart from the last CL game)
Also I know I see everything through spurs tinted glasses but the Lino and ref really were a bunch of cunts weren't they? Got the feeling even if we did score to make it 3-1 it wouldn't have counted!
On the whole Wembley subject and next season I am dreading it, but maybe this is part of the master plan to not qualify for EL or CL and be like the chavs now and running away with the league as no mid week commitments, and win the PL in our first season at the new lane!

Going out of the Europa League to Gent, crashing out of the chl in a fairly easy group, bottling finishing above Woolwich losing to already relegated Newcastle are all letting the fans down
It was our 2nd ever experience of the CL. How you could be so entitled and arrogant as to call it easy is beyond me.

How can anything in a competition like the CL, in which we are vastly under-experienced, be easy?

You talk so much shit.

Yeah, the sense of entitlement is a bit baffling to be honest. What makes us better than Leverkusen or Monaco? Because we play in the Premier League? I personally thought both teams were better than us technically, Monaco definitely were.

We have alot to learn. Said it a thousand times, we have alot of average to good players who excel under Pochettino in a system when it works. Take some of those guys out and replacing them with WORSE players was never going to work and rarely has under Pochettino.

I mean Rose and Walker are crucial to our play yet they played ONCE together in our 8 European games this season. Sums it up. It's like racing a car for 7 races in a low gear and then cranking it up when it doesn't matter. (Rose and Walker played vs CSKA Moscow when we were already out)

We aren't as good as we think we are. We have a great first eleven when everyone is fit and teams let us play, I think what sees us through is the togetherness of that eleven and a relatively solid defence. I think we lack that extra something for us to win things but Im confident Pochettino will find that. I just hope fans also see that it may take 5 years.

Did anyone else see the 'altercarion' (it happened in front and to the right of me) where one guy (to the right of me) was giving plenty of abuse along these lines;

To the group of lads directly in front of me, for moaning at the players when a(nother) corner/set-piece came to nothing. His gripe was that they weren't singing (enough?) but the to-and-fro that followed really reminded me of the dark days of fans fighting amongst themselves 'cos there's fuck all else going on to cheer themselves up with.
surely we're better than that, no?

(I did have to say though, when the singing got going, things like 'Come on You Spurs' and 'We are Tottenham, From the Lane'... everyone did bet going... it's just the sporadic nature of being so spread out, means that songs only got going when (luck) meant a few people in various parts of the ground happened to be starting the same chant at the same time, or some fucker shouted louder than everyone else to be heard...
A loud-hailer would probably work wonders at Wembley... shame whoever had it would probably be told to 'turn it down' by many 'fans' though!!
I get your point and its valid. My anguish with him and many other posters of his ilk is that they fail to recognise the nature and relentlessness of their griping. If the club causes so much complaint then its not the club for them.
I stand by my comment that support is unconditional - if it isn't then its not support.

I don't really see them in the Belgian section showing their support for Gent. Their fans were bloody good and well rehearsed, as well as being either completely mad or heavily pissed. The acoustics in the ground are really bad and when singing takes off in different sections like it was last night, it has the effect of cancelling itself out, as you stop singing, to try to get in time with the other sections, as you say - we need a Turkish style "conductor" to get the effect harnessed to maximise the effect.

Once again we are left looking at one another after a 'must win' game, wondering how that happened.
Such profligacy in front of goal, and Alli needs to be strongly disciplined after that atrocious leg breaker, last night.
He let us all down shockingly, and I believe we would have won with 11 men. Once again that lack of a game changer continues to hold us back.
Sadly, at least for the time being, we can't attract that calibre of player. The players must be left in no doubt however, that a weak finish like last year will not be tolerated.
Crazily though, I can't wait for Sunday as the final countdown continues at the lane.
I really do wish though, that UEFA would stop going around the pubs asking if anyone fancies Reffing a game tonight.
COYS! :coys:

I think we need
Team is too young, that's all.

:pocheyes:
But this is where Pochettino is either being stubborn or cannot see it.

We need a bit more in terms of players who have done it.

In the games we have lost I think most times it is just a bit of calm, of sure footedness if you want that has been our undoing.

In saying we are young it presupposes that lessons will be learned and that next time it will be alright. I am not certain that holds true.

Every manager we have had of late seems to have blind spots. I hope Pochettino does not allow his to prevent him from taking us to silverware.

He needs to be looking right now at what specific players we need for next season.

An FA Cup win would make us such a stronger unit in my opinion.

The Champions League and Europa exits have shown we have a fair bit to learn but do not forget other British teams at present. Not exactly the best right now.

I think we need

But this is where Pochettino is either being stubborn or cannot see it.

We need a bit more in terms of players who have done it.

In the games we have lost I think most times it is just a bit of calm, of sure footedness if you want that has been our undoing.

In saying we are young it presupposes that lessons will be learned and that next time it will be alright.

I am not certain that holds true. Every manager we have hsd of late seems to have blind spots. I hope Pochettino does not allow his to prevent him from taking us to silverware.

I said it before. Pochettino needs to adapt or his stubbornness will cost us.

Why do we seem to be unable to cope playing with10 men, when a lot of other teams almost thrive on it!! It shouldn't have made that much difference to the formation, effectively Harry was up on his own with Eriksen for support rather than Dele... the rest of the team should've stayed as they were...

Unable to cope with playing with 10 men? To be fair, we dominated that 2nd half completely and it looked more like they were one or two men down.

Yesterday's result was a combination of poor refereeing, poor finishing and bad luck. Thought we handled the sending off very well.

And eventually it will cost him which would be a huge shame.

Agreed.

I'd start by giving him control of who he buys. It's looking more and more clear than a lot of those we have signed were not specifically Pochettino choices.

Needs to find a way to play away at the big boys too as well. I'm sure Pochettino would go to Barcelona away and try and play the same way, even though we'd get the piss taken out of us for 90 minutes.

First though, let's find a way to play on bigger pitches. Because we have 26 games minimum next season at Wembley and if we don't sort it out, whilst the rational fan will see it as a transitional season, alot of others won't and will start calling for his head.

Back
Top Bottom