Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unable to cope with playing with 10 men? To be fair, we dominated that 2nd half completely and it looked more like they were one or two men down.

Yesterday's result was a combination of poor refereeing, poor finishing and bad luck. Thought we handled the sending off very well.
Correct mate bu
Unable to cope with playing with 10 men? To be fair, we dominated that 2nd half completely and it looked more like they were one or two men down.

Yesterday's result was a combination of poor refereeing, poor finishing and bad luck. Thought we handled the sending off very well.

And we did bit we should not have not have been in the Europa anyway given our CL group and should not have been in such a precarious position in the tie last night and I say that as someone who actually thinks our exit and United's progress helps us in pursuit of a top 4 place this season.

But yes we played really well. So well and with such energy that Pochettino may have to make a couple of changes for Sunday.

Why the fuck is he still allowed to take them ?, Think I'd rather do an England and have kane taking them.
Hopefully Erik's back soon and we never have to see another Eriksen corner EVER!

You have to hope that the near post low corner thing is something that has been impressed upon him as a tactical decision. Corners have low chance % anyway, and we have done well from those near post flick ons as they are very difficult to defend against - WHEN they come off.

A top football team with professional levels of statistical analysis must be aware of how pointless it is us being awarded a corner at the moment though.

Goals scored this season in all comps:

Open Play - 34 (74%)
Penalty - 5 (11%)
Set Piece - 3 (7%)
Counter Attack - 2 (4%)
Own Goal - 2 (4%)

By comparison

Man City - 12% of goals from set pieces
Chelsea - 17%
Woolwich - 13%
Liverpool - 19%
Utd - 16%
Bournemouth - 26%
Burnley - 37%
Palace - 31%
Everton - 13%
Hull - 41%
Leicester - 17%
Middlesbrough - 21%
Southampton - 21%
Stoke - 27%
Sunderland - 4%!
Swansea - 35%
Watford - 28%
West Brom - 44%
West Ham - 38%

I appreciate that teams that have been less prolific than us will have a skewed %, and i would rather be a team that doesn't have to rely on set pieces to score goals. You can see the teams that stereotypically use their thug CB's coming up for set pieces as a viable tactic.

But we have the worst % in the league. It's made worse when you consider the number of set pieces we are given, i havent got time to look at the data but im sure we are probably up there for most set pieces awarded because of the way we play - flying full back, players who like to run with the ball, full of attacking intent.

We need to be better at converting chances (in general) but particularly from set pieces.

Thank god we've been awarded so many pens this season.

I guess i'm thinking more of the overall result... yes, we did dominate, but no, we only converted one of those 2nd half chances (and that was a Victor Wanscreamyar!)
Does coping mean getting the result (in the end) even if we only see 5 minutes of the ball... or dominating possession, but ultimately, to no avail!

I think most of us expected the 2nd half to be an onslaught from us ('cos it needed to be) but at what cost... I'm fairly sure playing an entire half with 10men, would have had the same (if not worse) effect than going to Extra-Time with 11... and we all know what we'd be saying this morning (about the game at th weekend) had last night gone to extra time.

Bottom line is, Dele was silly (again) and for the 2nd time in 2 seasons, it's cost us with an annoying 'home' draw in a game that was ultimately winnable.
But I do get that he's dug us out of more situations than he's got us into... but the whole idea is not that he evens those out over the course of the season... it's not swings and roundabouts!!

Last night was gutting. The away leg cost us dearly but we were by far the better team last night and the response from the players when we went down to 10 men was superb. It was my sons first live match and even though we went out, I'm happy that he saw a hell of an effort.

Bad finishing, near misses, sending off and some iffy decissions sure... but the overall performance was good.

You see, I wouldn't have been annoyed had we won 2-1. It was the fact that we couldn't been fucking win which was disappointing. Conceding 3 goals to Gent in two games is shambolic.

But a 2-1 win for me is fine. We gave it a good go. I mean in our 130+ year existence we've managed to score 3 times at Wembley just the three times so it was always going to be a big ask.

I guess... No more cup distraction? Which brings with it.. No cups.

People need to realise that us underperforming in this competition predates the current crop of players and the manager, the whole new regime. Weve been dog shit in the EL for years now, ever present underachievers. Cruise the piss easy groups, struggle terribly in the knockouts.
Only one person has been consistent throughout :levyeyes:

I dont know whether its down to not respecting the level of the opposition ("It's only FC Basel, who the fuck are they?!") which definatley exists amongst the suporters and probably trickles down to the players. Or perhaps its the constant rotation, or maybe it's as simple as the fact that the chairman doesn't respect the competition as a priority and therefore decisions are made that cumulatively affect our chances of success in it.

What it all amounts to is a different team turning up on a Thursday (literally and figuratively) than the one that turns up on the weekend.

Last edited:
Do you think 4 games at Wembley has created enough revenue to cover such expenditure?
No, of course I don't. But I think a lot of people on here belittle and demean our club. They say we are punching above are weight. I'm saying our wembley attendances show we have always had the fanbase to be a big club and attract the type of players that other top clubs attract. We are not a small club SchmoodSpur. We have under achieved, NOT over achieved, for far too long. And another capitulation in Europe, in both competitions, exposes our shortcomings once again

Last edited:
You see, I wouldn't have been annoyed had we won 2-1. It was the fact that we couldn't been fucking win which was disappointing. Conceding 3 goals to Gent in two games is shambolic.

But a 2-1 win for me is fine. We gave it a good go. I mean in our 130+ year existence we've managed to score 3 times at Wembley just the three times so it was always going to be a big ask.

I guess... No more cup distraction? Which brings with it.. No cups.

The trouble is, if 2-1 would have been enough to win it we would have played out the game very differently, been able to defend more. As it was, we HAD to score another goal, and so had to throw more players forward leaving ourselves exposed at the back. It was a risk we had to take. 2-1 would have looked a nicer score line but we had to roll the dice if we wanted to progress.

So disappointing to go out given the line up we went with last night. We were wasteful in front of goal and Delle needs to learn from his reckless challenge, there was no need of it and along with the performance last week, it cost us. Would also be nice if our players could get a cross past the first defender for a change.

On the plus side, credit to the ten who gave it a real go in the second half, I thought at 2-1 we could do it.........Also my daughter's first spurs match, she loved it, the atmosphere in block 544 was great, all fans really getting behind the team.

However I am nervous about next season, I have mixed views on Wembley. When we went ahead last night the noise from the stands when we all sang in unison was incredible, up there with the loudest I have heard us! I am not a fan of the upper tiers though, I felt a bit disconnected from the team, would rather have the closeness of WHL.

Also the traffic getting to Wembley was a nightmare!

I agree with everything BOS said.

I thought the atmosphere was poor overall - too many tourists and, guess what, I also took my wife and daughter and contributed to that exact problem…...

I thought the officials were very poor, Gent played above themselves (and were lucky with it), we wasted too many chances in front of goal, and Dele made a rash challenge and got the red he deserved (immature, dangerous but not premeditated or violent - he's a kid) which contributed to us losing the game.

Overall though the lads tried, there were some great individual moments, it was worth the money - and could easily have been 3 or 4 nil. When we scored the 2nd there was real belief we'd win it, but (unsurprisingly) they were tiring badly. It's not the end of the world, FACup win/final and top 3 and we're moving on.

I have to say, also in agreement with others, and I know this is of little interest to most, but the traffic to and from Wembley is intolerable. No trains on the East coast main line last night. A 90 minute road trip took 4 hours both there and back. The traffic infrastructure of this country has broken - you cannot get into or out of the capital city to go to sporting events.

Yeah, the sense of entitlement is a bit baffling to be honest. What makes us better than Leverkusen or Monaco? Because we play in the Premier League? I personally thought both teams were better than us technically, Monaco definitely were.

We have alot to learn. Said it a thousand times, we have alot of average to good players who excel under Pochettino in a system when it works. Take some of those guys out and replacing them with WORSE players was never going to work and rarely has under Pochettino.

I mean Rose and Walker are crucial to our play yet they played ONCE together in our 8 European games this season. Sums it up. It's like racing a car for 7 races in a low gear and then cranking it up when it doesn't matter. (Rose and Walker played vs CSKA Moscow when we were already out)

We aren't as good as we think we are. We have a great first eleven when everyone is fit and teams let us play, I think what sees us through is the togetherness of that eleven and a relatively solid defence. I think we lack that extra something for us to win things but Im confident Pochettino will find that. I just hope fans also see that it may take 5 years.
We were dogshit in all the games, hardly looked up for it. We let them beat us, not the other way around

No, of course I don't. But I think a lot of people on here belittle and demean our club. They say we are punching above are weight. I'm saying our wembley attendances show we have always had the fanbase to be a big club and attract the type of players that other top clubs attract. We are not a small club SchmoodSpur. We have under achieved, NOT over achieved, for far too long. And another capitulation in Europe, in both competitions, exposes our shortcomings once again

Let me get this straight, you think we are underachieving because we have a big fanbase. So how does having a load of fans who can't buy tickets for every game attract better players? United have a far bigger fanbase than ours and fill an 80,000 stadium every game, yet we have been above them for two seasons now with a stadium half the size...how the fuck are we underachieving?

I thought the atmosphere was poor overall - too many tourists and, guess what, I also took my wife and daughter and contributed to that exact problem…...

I thought the officials were very poor, Gent played above themselves (and were lucky with it), we wasted too many chances in front of goal, and Dele made a rash challenge and got the red he deserved (immature, dangerous but not premeditated or violent - he's a kid) which contributed to us losing the game.

Overall though the lads tried, there were some great individual moments, it was worth the money - and could easily have been 3 or 4 nil. When we scored the 2nd there was real belief we'd win it, but (unsurprisingly) they were tiring badly. It's not the end of the world, FACup win/final and top 3 and we're moving on.

I have to say, also in agreement with others, and I know this is of little interest to most, but the traffic to and from Wembley is intolerable. No trains on the East coast main line last night. A 90 minute road trip took 4 hours both there and back. The traffic infrastructure of this country has broken - you cannot get into or out of the capital city to go to sporting events.
3 hours to get there
home in 48 minutes

I live 55 miles away

Do fuck off, am I not allowed to have expectations for the team?
only if you play for manage them.
Otherwise you have to put up with what happens, because you have no influence on events.
THEY DO NOT EXIST FOR YOUR PERSONAL ENTERTAINMENT you selfish spoiled brat. Get that into your thick head, and stop whining.
I'll bet listening to you in person must be like listening to a WW2 air raid siren

only if you play for manage them.
Otherwise you have to put up with what happens
, because you have no influence on events.
THEY DO NOT EXIST FOR YOUR PERSONAL ENTERTAINMENT you selfish spoiled brat. Get that into your thick head, and stop whining.
I'll bet listening to you in person must be like listening to a WW2 air raid siren
I understand now, mate. I will be a good fan from now on and not have any expectations, thanks.

I decided to drive. Parked up near Wembley just off the North circular. Journey time is 2 hours, but though with storm Doris and rush hour it might take 3 hours, anyway it took nearly 4 hours!

The road infrastructure around London is a joke, waited for 30 minutes just getting off the North circular last night, I know this won't sit well with some but the national stadium should have been moved to the Midlands, the infrastructure around Wembley for road or train is not fit for purpose. Getting home was much easier, 2 hours!!

I can tolerate a bit of queuing, you have to expect it but 4 hours for a 100 mile journey is a joke. white Hart lane is a doodle in comparison but then I have the local knowledge of where to park to make a quick get away!!!

Going out of the Europa League to Gent, crashing out of the chl in a fairly easy group, bottling finishing above Woolwich losing to already relegated Newcastle are all letting the fans down
Going out of the Europa League to Gent, crashing out of the chl in a fairly easy group, bottling finishing above Woolwich losing to already relegated Newcastle are all letting the fans down

When you revel in our worst moments it only highlights the inadequacy of your support. Newcastle infuriated me aswell last season but there is no other way of dressing it up we had a fantastic season last year and are doing very well this season , we certainly aren't the only English side to struggle in Europe this season.

Back
Top Bottom