Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just back from the game

We actually played well overall and on many nights would have gone through. Aside from the first goal they barely troubled us. Dele has to shoulder a lot of responsibility, his rash behaviour actually got caught but he's been riding his luck on that front.

Honestly thought we should have had a free kick before their goal, be intrigued to hear how it looked on tv? Ref was a twat all game

Honestly thought we should have had a free kick before their goal, be intrigued to hear how it looked on tv? Ref was a twat all game

On replay it was shown we should have had a goal kick rather than them getting the corner that led to their first goal.

Poor officiating throughout the game, but that's just par for the course in Europa League. One of the few decisions they got right was the red card!

On replay it was shown we should have had a goal kick rather than them getting the corner that led to their first goal.

Poor officiating throughout the game, but that's just par for the course in Europa League. One of the few decisions they got right was the red card!

Wow really?

I was thinking more the second goal, looked like Winks (I think) got fouled before the ball came back down our end

What do you want me to do? Cheer them on? Nobody deserves unconditional support, especially not when they're the ones who continue to under perform at the most crucial times

I think Tottenham can survive without your kind of support. Cunts like you dilute our support. Can't you do something meaningful with reindeer? This isn't the time for your cold, analytical, Scandinavian introspection that the rest of the world finds so boring. It's really time to cut loose, and try to enjoy life outside of Spurs. Maybe sponsor a moose? - or fish through a hole? Maybe vote for a fellow Dane for supporter of the year? Anything but post on here after a disappointing result. Surely all Danes aren't as miserable as you?

........we will for the foreseeable future be punching well above our weight.

I am not looking to dig you out. But that part of your post I'd challenge.

We support Tottenham. We are not Aldershot or even Leicester. Our "weight" is exactly where we are right now at the top challenging. Not necessarily winning, but challenging.

That's where we should sit. Nothing about our club is small. And we should not be accepting of being in any shadows or having to fight a heavyweight as a fly weight.

The biggest and cheapest trick of the Sugar and ENIC ownership is that they have thrown about a narrative that we are somehow plucky little Spurs and we supporters should be amazed to come 4th and anything else is a huge plus.

It's absolutely not true.

We have spent 20 years under performing massively and even longer period dipping up and down, but throughout those periods we have had chairmen doing very very well financially. board members getting richer and richer and a myth churned around backing up the plundering that has clearly gone on.

That myth being sold to us is that we are lucky to be where we are. That's completely untrue. We should be fucked off we are not the current equal of Man United. As not that long ago we were !

I think Tottenham can survive without your kind of support. Cunts like you dilute our support. Can't you do something meaningful with reindeer? This isn't the time for your cold, analytical, Scandinavian introspection that the rest of the world finds so boring. It's really time to cut loose, and try to enjoy life outside of Spurs. Maybe sponsor a moose? - or fish through a hole? Maybe vote for a fellow Dane for supporter of the year? Anything but post on here after a disappointing result. Surely all Danes aren't as miserable as you?
Amen, brother.
Spot the fuck on.....

Well, in other news, I want to congratulate Victor Wanyama for an EXCELLENTLY taken strike!
If he can do that every 4-5 games it would really help our guys get more space up front!
I was really impressed with his technique for that one!!

I'd heartily recommend corporate. It's exactly like being on here with everyone calling the players cunts, but with waitress service and a free bar. It's reassuring to know that our more well heeled supporters hate the team with the same amount of vitriol as many of the people who post on here.

"You cunt Walker, fuck off Kane, Eriksen you cunt". The usual 'support'. Luckily for me I had 7 pints of cider, 2 pints of IPA, 2 pints of Carlsberg, 3 glasses of fucking Chardonnay and 2 bottles of London Pride, which helped dull the pain of an evening spent in the company of Spurs fans. Fair play to the two girls behind me who were brilliant - screaming and shouting for everything. You made my night, who ever you are.

Terrible over two legs and a shame to be out

On bright side no longer have to fight to death in a competition that has cost the likes of us and Liverpool get CL qualififcation through overstretched squads, much better chance of silverware with FA Cup and much better chance of CL by finishing in top 4

Bring on Stoke

Poch's post match comments:

"I think we played brave and played well" - you played with two defensive midfielders. That isn't brave. Every time they attacked we looked weak, although they barely attacked. The players tried hard, but I don't think we played out of our skin.

"I said nothing [to Dele when he got sent off]. In football these things happen" - These things happen? He almost snapped his leg in half for a nothing ball and probably cost his team the game.

"The last pass and the last shot did not have enough quality. For that we are disappointed and feel bad" - At least he admits our finishing was poor.

"Now is time to move on and recover for Stoke, tomorrow we prepare for this game" - I always find it a bit worrying that Poch never seems to talk about reflection on why we got knocked out or on what aspect we can improve. He simply says "We move on". Rarely he'll say "We will learn", but he never says what exactly the players will learn. Just seems to be assumed that the players will learn without being told anything.

When asked if getting knocked out of EL was a blessing, "I like to compete, I'm very sad. We need to be positive and focus on the FA cup and premier league. Maybe we regret a little bit the first leg." - Why be positive? Sometimes players just need bollocking. Fergerson wouldn't get knocked out of a cup and say "Be happy, lads". And "little regret"? 0 away goals is a mountain to climb.

"We can't spend too much time analysing what happens" - How do you expect the players to learn and recover from their mistakes if you don't look at the issues that need fixing? In many ways it doesn't seem like we've learnt much from West Brom/Chelsea/Newcastle last year.

Bit disappointed with the post match interview. Doesn't seem like much reflection or learning will hapen.

We support Tottenham. We are not Aldershot or even Leicester. Our "weight" is exactly where we are right now at the top challenging. Not necessarily winning, but challenging.

That's where we should sit. Nothing about our club is small. And we should not be accepting of being in any shadows or having to fight a heavyweight as a fly weight.

That myth being sold to us is that we are lucky to be where we are. That's completely untrue. We should be fucked off we are not the current equal of Man United. As not that long ago we were !

The biggest and cheapest trick of the Sugar and ENIC ownership is that they have thrown about a narrative that we are somehow plucky little Spurs and we supporters should be amazed to come 4th and anything else is a huge plus.

We have spent 20 years under performing massively and even longer period dipping up and down, but throughout those periods we have had chairmen doing very very well financially. board members getting richer and richer and a myth churned around backing up the plundering that has clearly gone on.

Fantastic post. If I could vote for post of the year ! Hits the nail on the head every time. A lot of so called "Spurs fans" will laugh at you comparing us to Man Utd and other so called super clubs. The fact we've smashed attendance record after attendance record says it all. We should be competing with the best. In the transfer market and on the pitch. Every fucking seaon. We have one of the largest fan bases in Europe. We've been short changed for far too long.

Respect your view, but Poch has stated again this week that we are not going to be building a side like that of Man Ure, Citeh,Chel$ea or indeed Liverpool or Woolwich and by just spending big, that i understand. Those clubs will try and buy the future today, now, this season, or as close can be.

We have over the past decade more often than not qualified for the EL and now twice the CL, but this was when other teams collapsed after good seasons (Yanited when Fergie went and Chel$ea last season). Those opportunities to capitalize when those top teams have had a shocker have now gone for the foreseeable future.

Then we come to Spurs, that little bit deficient when it comes to spending on an (for example only!) an Ozil, Sanchez, Augero, De Bruyne or Mane type of player. That one piece of the jigsaw that we always seem to nearly have but not quite.

That's why we punch above our weight, and am happy with that knowing as you say we have a well run club, new stadium on it's way and a young promising team. At the end of the day we can have all of that and still see nothing but tumbleweed blowing though our Trophy cabinet can't we?

So "punching above our weight" is about where we are at the moment, because we have been outplayed by the majority of the traditional "top four" teams in the PL and embarrassed not only in the CL by mediocre sides but also in the EL.

Nothing shameful in that if we put everything in perspective of the overall state of the club.

Is our squad stronger than last year?

Janssen - Seen as someone who would help Kane out and Compete. Poch seems to hate him. Barely gets a game. Would we have been much worst off without him? He's scored 4 penalties, but nothing incredible and seems on his way out. Other players could have equally scored those 4 penalties.

Sissoko - Okay in a middle 3, but barely gets a game. Some okay games, but nothing major. Barely gets game time anymore. Poor as an AM.

GKN - No better than Njie, to be honest. Barely gets game time and barely had an impact. Can't see him staying long or pulling up any trees. 1 assist in the FA cup.

The issue with the above 3 players is that Chadli is superior to all 3 of them combined at the moment. They collectively have 8 assists and 4 goals in 2400 minutes.

Chadli got 7 goals and 5 assists in 1600 minutes.

I think Chadli was worth £20 mil as an AM, his numbers are very good and I don't think we've suitably replaced him.

Out of those 4 players who would you have brought on in the last 30 mins? The answer seems obvious to me, in an attacking sense the others don't even come close to competing with Chadli

Wanyama - We all thought he would be back up for Dier, but he seems to have completely replaced him in many games and now Dier barely gets a game in his best position, being used as an average defender instead. Who is better, last seasons Dier or Wanyama? Seems difficult to answer.

I think Wanyama is a great option to have, but I think he's being over-played. Looks tired and instead of being rotated he seems to have completely stunted Dier's growth and improvement. I would have preferred Wanyama to be the bench option, if I'm honest.

I'd say, at this moment in time, the first 3 are a failure and that although Wanyama is a success it's come at a cost. The squad seems weaker, despite having more players in it.

"I think we played brave and played well" - you played with two defensive midfielders. That isn't brave. Every time they attacked we looked weak, although they barely attacked. The players tried hard, but I don't think we played out of our skin.

"I said nothing [to Dele when he got sent off]. In football these things happen" - These things happen? He almost snapped his leg in half for a nothing ball and probably cost his team the game.

"The last pass and the last shot did not have enough quality. For that we are disappointed and feel bad" - At least he admits our finishing was poor.

"Now is time to move on and recover for Stoke, tomorrow we prepare for this game" - I always find it a bit worrying that Poch never seems to talk about reflection on why we got knocked out or on what aspect we can improve. He simply says "We move on". Rarely he'll say "We will learn", but he never says what exactly the players will learn. Just seems to be assumed that the players will learn without being told anything.

When asked if getting knocked out of EL was a blessing, "I like to compete, I'm very sad. We need to be positive and focus on the FA cup and premier league. Maybe we regret a little bit the first leg." - Why be positive? Sometimes players just need bollocking. Fergerson wouldn't get knocked out of a cup and say "Be happy, lads". And "little regret"? 0 away goals is a mountain to climb.

"We can't spend too much time analysing what happens" - How do you expect the players to learn and recover from their mistakes if you don't look at the issues that need fixing? In many ways it doesn't seem like we've learnt much from West Brom/Chelsea/Newcastle last year.

Bit disappointed with the post match interview. Doesn't seem like much reflection or learning will hapen.
You're overthinking it and putting too much investment into an interview.

Fantastic post. If I could vote for post of the year ! Hits the nail on the head every time. A lot of so called "Spurs fans" will laugh at you comparing us to Man Utd and other so called super clubs. The fact we've smashed attendance record after attendance record says it all. We should be competing with the best. In the transfer market and on the pitch. Every fucking seaon. We have one of the largest fan bases in Europe. We've been short changed for far too long.
Please explain how we are meant to compete with PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City/United, Juventus and Bayern Munich in the transfer market as you say we should be. Provide evidence of how we can spend 60m on a single player, whilst paying 200k+, sometimes 300k, a week as these teams do.

Do you think 4 games at Wembley has created enough revenue to cover such expenditure?

Last edited:

I expect there'd be a large difference in what he says publicly and privately, he dosent seem the type to air grievances in public e.g like Jose

Put the embarrassment, disappointment, the shame and annoyance aside. We can really push for the FAC and PL place. Must stay positive and get back to where we were earlier in the season. We need to find the path again .

Back
Top Bottom