Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will catch up on the thread later but, OMG, 4 hours in horrible traffic, £40 rip off parking so we didn't miss any more of the match and then we go and bloody lose! Am finally home, lesson learned, taking the train from here on out, even if it means we sometimes have to leave just before the end on the late night KOs :(

Actually, it's a much bigger pitch than WHL, and of course plays differently as there is more space in certain areas for certain types of plays. So, "has fuck all to do with the stadium" seems to be ignoring some pretty basic physics! We better learn how to play on a bigger pitch soon cause we're about to be playing all our games there : /

Wembley:115 yd x 75 yd
WHL: 110 x 73 yards

Massive, massive difference, Levy is buying roller skates for next season and to fuck with the boot sponsorship's.

His best mate was to blame for both goals, and one up in Liverpool. Though Dele was stupid for what he did Dier is no more of a center back than i am.

Fuck knows what Wimmer must need to do to get a game.

Probably needs to become a decent footballer.

In all seriousness though play Wimmer instead of Dier?
Who plays left centre back? Wimmer or Vertonghen
Alderweireld our best centre back, most comfortable on the ball, most comfortable 1 on 1, best at sweeping....has to move to right centre back to accommodate Wimmer? No

And I really fear for a whole season at Wembley

If we beat Millwall and get the scum I'm sure we will turn up. All these games even though they have been bad can only help. We will just have to take what next season brings, quicker we get in our new home and get settled the better. Wherever we play next year will weaken us as our away form generally is poor.

Just play trippier. May be the wrong side but that is better then Davies, who is awful. Dier is not a fucking centre back. When will poch see that seriously. If wimmer is available then he should play. He isn't great either but dier is just so bad in that position. Sorry but this 3 at the back to rubbish is not working for us. Vert and Toby together know what they are doing and we are solid. Last season we did not fuck with the formation. Swapped out injured players with ones that were natural in that position and it was fine.

Disagree with this , 3 at the back is a good set up for us and like someone else said last season when dier slotted into the defence we were essentially playing 3 at the back. I really just think if we are going to persist with this formation Davies needs to be sold to Swansea and we need to buy a faster left back to fill in for Rose.

Wembley:115 yd x 75 yd
WHL: 110 x 73 yards

Massive, massive difference, Levy is buying roller skates for next season and to fuck with the boot sponsorship's.

Doesn't explain why the opposition does better then us every time. We have to be beating this lot surely. Could understand if he had played the reserves but this is our strongest (available) team..

I enjoyed myself tonight despite the result, it's always good to meet up with old friends for a pre match pint.
And my 1st time in the posh seats at club Wembley, cracking set up for space a room and countless catering outlets. Effing annoying that they don't take our national currency, that effected me more than the result. Anything can happen in football, it's the nature of the beast, we just don't seem to get those multiple deflections or hand ball goals that Woolwich seem to enjoy.
Too long in the tooth to get upset Coys

Probably needs to become a decent footballer.

In all seriousness though play Wimmer instead of Dier?
Who plays left centre back? Wimmer or Vertonghen
Alderweireld our best centre back, most comfortable on the ball, most comfortable 1 on 1, best at sweeping....has to move to right centre back to accommodate Wimmer? No

Then alter the system, or do we just let Dier give the fucking ball away for another three goals in the next three games? He was as shocking against Wycombe (yes that bastion of football clubs) and was left for dead when they scored their third.

He's no PL center back, midfield back up behind Winks, Wanyama and Dembele. Shit happens.

I'd play GKN at left wing back over Davies.

Having Davies in our team makes us too lopsided. We only ever attacked down the right and this makes it easy for teams to defend against us - double up against Walker and fill in the middle of the pitch and you've basically stopped us.

On top of that Davies barely had to defend today, yet despite this got forward just once from memory. He gets carried through games and offers absolutely nothing in this system - we were playing with 9 men, not 10.

If the system is lob-sided and if Davies barely has to defend/gets skinned when he does have to, you may as well just put a hard working attacker in there, like Lamela or GKN.

Son needs to be in the starting 11 from now on and I do not want to see Dembele and Wanyama partnered together again - they pass it back far too much and slow our game down. The formations we put out are too defensive and have no goal threat.

Lloris
Walker-Toby-Wimmer-Jan
Wanyama-Winks
Son-Alli-Eriksen
Kane

(This team will never happen. Poch hates Wimmer, who will no doubt leave in the summer)

Lloris
Toby-Dier-Jan
Walker-Wanyama-Winks-GKN
Son-Kane-Alli

(Never going to happen either. Poch will stick with Davies rather than go attack-heavy).

Lloris
Walker-Toby-Jan-Davies
Wanyama-Alli
Son-Eriksen-GKN
Kane

I think GKN has pace and deserves game time. I don't see why Alli can't play in CM.

Last edited:
I'd play GKN at left wing back over Davies.

Having Davies in our team makes us too lob-sided. We only ever attacked down the right and this makes it easy for teams to defend against us - double up against Walker and fill in the middle of the pitch and you've basically stopped us.

On top of that Davies barely had to defend today, yet despite this got forward just once from memory. He gets carried through games and offers absolutely nothing in this system - we were playing with 9 men, not 10.

If the system is lob-sided and if Davies barely has to defend/gets skinned when he does have to, you may as well just put a hard working attacker in there, like Lamela or GKN.

Son needs to be in the starting 11 from now on and I do not want to see Dembele and Wanyama partnered together again - they pass it back far too much and slow our game down. The formations we put out are too defensive and have no goal threat.

Lloris
Walker-Toby-Wimmer-Jan
Wanyama-Winks
Son-Alli-Eriksen
Kane

(This team will never happen. Poch hates Wimmer, who will no doubt leave in the summer)

Lloris
Toby-Dier-Jan
Walker-Wanyama-Winks-GKN
Son-Kane-Alli

(Never going to happen either. Poch will stick with Davies rather than go attack-heavy).

Lloris
Walker-Toby-Jan-Davies
Wanyama-Alli
Son-Eriksen-GKN
Kane

I think GKN has pace and deserves game time. I don't see why Alli can't play in CM.
"lob-sided" :dembelelol:

I agree that Son should start more, despite his miss. GKN as a wingback is suicide.

Doesn't explain why the opposition does better then us every time. We have to be beating this lot surely. Could understand if he had played the reserves but this is our strongest (available) team..

Well Poch can't predict Dele putting in a leg breaker, and Kane scoring a header Ibrahimović would have been proud of. Twice Dier made mistakes and we got punished. Twice Eriksen was put through and treaded water, and only five of twenty five odd shots were on target.

There's a theme to all of this and it's a mix of youth, inexperience and the persistence of a manager (though i love him) to play out of form players, poor tactics, and being extremely wasteful in the transfer market.

We will get their in the end, and Poch made the Clubs "project" clear as day again only this week, but with no truly World class players in this squad we will for the foreseeable future be punching well above our weight.

3 at the back
4 at the back
5 at the back
Soldado up front
Jansen up front
Kane up front
Lamela
Chadli
Kevin N clueless on the wing
Wimmer
Dier
Fazio
No more Abebayor
No more Spursy
Leicester we are coming for you
We will "bounce back"
Townshend, Livermore, Huddlestone. Not good enough
Bring in Kevin no Cluedo, bring through Josh, that Edwards Looks mustard
Building for the future, Next time it will be better
Berbatoss was wrong to leave, Bale was right to leave, VDV had to leave, Kane won't leave....Defoe left....

The game is about glory.....

We are Tottenham !

& WE JUST FAILED IN TWO GAMES TO BEAT GENT

How the fuck does this kind of result keep happening ? Rinse and repeat ! Nothing is really changing & There is no significant hiding place from that defeat over two games.

I feel Bill Nicholson would be ashamed of us tonight. Not based on this one game which was ok to be honest ( ok) but based on the continuous acceptance of disgracing our club with piss poor after piss poor European performances and bottling the biggest games

Such a shame.

I am not even sure what we are aiming to be these days, what glory is there in a zero net spend ? How do we convince our kids that Spurs are worth giving a shit about based on "well we don't lose money". It's a fucking nonsense now.

Still always tomorrow....except tomorrow never comes.

I loved being at Wembley tonight. Enjoyed most of the game. But bigger picture has to be questioned, Yet again. When it matters the most we beat ourselves. WHY ? For fuck sake why ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom