Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Grow a pair mate. For decades we have witnessed a lame, limp wristed bunch of wimps wearing our colours. Finally we have some backbone in the side and you don't like it?? The single biggest thing Poch has given us is a backbone, an aggressive in your face attitude.

Alli has lost his edge this season, I prefer the Alli of last year, far more effective than the one we have seen this year.

As for Dier's comments, they are just that, comments. FFS.
Am i happy that the players are more commited? Sure but throwing blood on opponents and gauging eyes is not showing backbone to me. its one thing going in for hard challenges but some of the stuff in that game was quite disturbing.

Poch can still tell him not to get involved and Dier can simply overrule him on the pitch - doesn't mean it's Poch's fault. Bizarre logic
You don't think a manger is at least partly responsible if a player insinuates to the media that he will exact revenge on an opposition player and then proceeds to do exactly that getting hinself sent off?

You don't think a manger is at least partly responsible if a player insinuates to the media that he will exact revenge on an opposition player and then proceeds to do exactly that getting hinself sent off?
I don't believe Poch would condone such behaviour, no

Not should be back but may be back. However with Rose suspended and Davies injured, Vertonghan will have to play left back and that means Dier will need to stay as CB for another week

If Alderweireld is back then Wimmer will start, not Dier.

Dier has been way off the pace this season, very, very glad he seems to have turned things around. I thought he was great with England and yesterday he was superb. Best bit of defending was in 2nd half and they broke on us with a 3 vs 2. Dier's positioning was 100% stayed on his feet, showed attacker away from goal, slowed attack down, we then had numbers back, then won the ball.

He is now found his passing boots too.

Remember when he was a good central defender?

I'm starting to feel like we burned the bridges on that when he moved to defensive midfield....

Dier was never a good CB. In an emergency he was capable, but nothing more. He's too clumsy, not enough technical ability and a slow turn speed, on top of slow acceleration.

Hes young and needs more game time at a single position to develop into it properly.
He got the majority of that last season at CM so we shouldn't be surprised that is where he finding himself most comfortable. He could be a fine CB or RB but without reps, he never gets the experience to gain proficiency and confidence. Hes not old enough or experienced enough to be a crack utility player and in that sense, I feel he is being mismanaged right now. In this regard, Poch's hand is rather forced into it right now by injuries, but, hopefully, when the CB's get fit again, we won't have to see Dier shifting positions just to get first team game time. That is a sure fire way to get young talent to regress.

He's very good at DM and is a good passer in that position. That should be his permanent position unless the CB/RB situation is dire. CCV should be the CB backup. Let him make mistakes, it will increase the rate of his development. Poch obviously trusts him anyway

Agree with the general tide of this.... By comparison Wanyama brings a certain chaos with him that doesn't seem to allow Dembele to settle into a more B2B role. Thus affecting both our defensive platform and transition to attack.

Completely agree. As harsh on Wanyama as it sounds.
I know, he's been great and as long as Toby is out it won't change.
That said, we aren't going to achieve much if anything with this slow and stagnant ball movement.

Eriksen is also in need of a kick up the arse in this regard. We need him on form feeding balls into Kane, Son and Alli etc. His deadball prowess has fallen away badly of late too.

Back
Top Bottom